Adding Heated Mirrors to XLT?

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hello all...been hunting down a Ranger for a while after lots of looking and test-driving all the various midsized pickups. I liked the Ranger best of all and with the rebates this month a XLT seemed like a great time to buy.

The XLT I bought has the power folding mirror option. Living where I do, I often get frost on the mirrors. I have looked but I have not found a solid answer....can heated mirrors be added from the Lariat to the XLT?

Thanks!
DAVE
Sponsored

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I would say yes. You need the mirror glass from the Lariat and connect it to the same relay which supports the rear window heater with power.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
You think it would have to be separately wired to the relay or is the wiring there?

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I would estimate that the wire is not there. What I doesn't know, do we have a door-control module? If yes, it will be controlled over CAN and we need a wire from the mirror to the control module + have to code the option (maybe with FORScan). If not, there have to be a wire to a relay what is controlled from the aircondition (I estimate that we don't have an separate switch for that, my 3gen Tacoma had an separate switch for that). I think that the option without door-module is easier to realize.

Arron

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Sport Magnetic
Occupation
Software developer
The question is a loaded term. Can it be added. Sure. Do you want to spend the time and money? Well here we go.

Wiring harness: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/wire-looms-and-connectors/wire-assy-jumper-9343119-1

Mirror: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/mirrors/glass-assy-rear-view-outer-mirror-9345093-1

And Iā€™m not sure if you need a different wiring harness in the dash to connect to the door harness. This cost for both doors would be about $1200, so not a cheap upgrade.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I'm hoping that it's like my Colorado. The wiring is there in the door. Just need the glass and a small wiring harness to go from the glass to the door connector. The heated glass is turned in by the rear defroster, so nothing with the bcm required. I guess we need a brave soul to take the door skin off and verify. At this trim level and living where I do, it's borderline unacceptable to not have heated mirrors. Upgrading to a Lariat just to get heated mirrors is fāˆšĀ¢Ā£!n retarded!

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The question is a loaded term. Can it be added. Sure. Do you want to spend the time and money? Well here we go.

Wiring harness: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/wire-looms-and-connectors/wire-assy-jumper-9343119-1

Mirror: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/mirrors/glass-assy-rear-view-outer-mirror-9345093-1

And Iā€™m not sure if you need a different wiring harness in the dash to connect to the door harness. This cost for both doors would be about $1200, so not a cheap upgrade.
This will be a project better suited for when junkyard parts become available.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This will be a project better suited for when junkyard parts become available.
There are a few available now - someone was looking for a taillight a while back and I was surprised to see they were asking something like $700 for a taillight from a junked Ranger - better than the $1200 new, but still pretty steep. I'm not sure a junkyard mirror would be THAT much cheaper - still sounds like a pretty expensive upgrade. But I'd love to see someone try it out.

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why FORD wants MSRP: $583.93 for the Part #: 17K707 and if I search for this # at google I get a lot of hits with $50.
I would go the easy way, connect it to the rear defroster and save you money.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thanks. Those part prices are what I found. Crazy that much money for a mirror. I wonder what else is in there to justify that much cost? I watched a youtube video of putting one of these heated elements on the glass. You do have to remove the glass from the backing plate using a heat gun. Not sure I want to mess with a potential $500+ repair if it breaks.

I also see that you can buy heated mirror glass from eBay Australia for a reasonable price. The glass does not appear to have blind spot indicators though and may not fit because of differences.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thanks. That's a great video. I am going to consider doing that.

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Jeep Wrangler, 1998 Lexus LX470
I don't know why FORD wants MSRP: $583.93 for the Part #: 17K707 and if I search for this # at google I get a lot of hits with $50.
I would go the easy way, connect it to the rear defroster and save you money.
Actually, 17K707 is a "basic", or part of the full number, and is probably either left or right, but not both. For instance, Ford #s have a prefix of usually 4 characters like "F3XY" the basic "17k707" followed by the suffix, something like "XB", so the entire number might look something like F3XY-17K707-XB. i only mention this so someone doesn't buy the wrong thing and think they're buying the specific mirror off a Lariat.

I would really like someone to take a picture of the electrical connector to see how many pins and how many cavities are in the connector. Some vehicles already have the correct harness, just need programmed *i.e. Ram trucks" but I don't know how Ford does their stuff, so that's to be found out. There are a few companies that make aftermarket rearview mirrors, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone made them for Rangers once they've been out for a year or so.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, 17K707 is a "basic", or part of the full number, and is probably either left or right, but not both. For instance, Ford #s have a prefix of usually 4 characters like "F3XY" the basic "17k707" followed by the suffix, something like "XB", so the entire number might look something like F3XY-17K707-XB. i only mention this so someone doesn't buy the wrong thing and think they're buying the specific mirror off a Lariat.

I would really like someone to take a picture of the electrical connector to see how many pins and how many cavities are in the connector. Some vehicles already have the correct harness, just need programmed *i.e. Ram trucks" but I don't know how Ford does their stuff, so that's to be found out. There are a few companies that make aftermarket rearview mirrors, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone made them for Rangers once they've been out for a year or so.
Hi Reviera,

Okay, another back story on part numbers...My Motorsport coordinator ordered parts for our off road "house" teams. He missed a letter on the suffix being an AB instead of an AA. So I get a call from Spirit Racing, our West coast distributor of parts, that they just received an order on pallets of 14 heavy truck bumpers! What??? So Motorsports coordinator indicated he ordered bumpers for F Series.... So we had to reorder but what do do with these Class 8 bumpers. Too expensive to ship back, so we had Spirit take their Caterpillar D9 bulldozer and flatten them and give them to a scrap dealer. Sheesh! :question:

Another example was the inertia switches for the Mustang. Two problems...the number ordered and the missed suffix...I got the whole order of the Dearborn Assembly Plant delivered to my office loading dock...Several semi worth. I only needed two switches for the EFI Ranger prototypes... Yikes!...now what:question: Fortunately, Dearborn Assembly tracked down the order and called me...I confirmed I was swamped with boxes of inertia switches. Our loading dock is very small and we had to stack the boxes in the parking lot! The Ford Material folks dispatched F350s to haul to support production while they organized semi flat beds to transport the remaining boxes... I was the laughing stock of Ford Light Truck for this error...Sheesh! :(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DaveM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

So has anyone figured out whats all needed to add the heated mirrors to the XLT ?
I know pricey but i plan on keeping mine at least for 6 years or more .
Spoiled with heated mirrors on the F150 i had.And with living in Wisconsin and have snow and ice or whatever else mother nature throws at us.
Sponsored