Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
It would cost car manufacturers pennies to include an auxillary plug for lights back there that did not require tapping a wire on a harness. Also - It would cost light manufacturers $3 to $6 to just make a T-Blok that goes in between the harness and the factory lights.

For me, tapping a wire is the first sign of a shitty design.
No thanks.
Ain't gonna do it.
It's not the way John Moses Browning intended it to be.
Never heard of an adapter like this (never thought about it).

But would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Un...Tailgate/dp/B01JCT84XY/ref=asc_df_B01JCT84XY/

1669844480387.png
Sponsored

Ranger X

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Ranger Sport 4x4
I installed the Baja Designs on my 2020 and the difference is night and day (see what I did there ?).

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Never heard of an adapter like this (never thought about it).

But would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Un...Tailgate/dp/B01JCT84XY/ref=asc_df_B01JCT84XY/

1669844480387.png
Conceptually close but not quite...

This is how the after market trailer lights on my 93 Ranger worked and I got it from Walmart. Imagine the plugs where your harnesses meet. You unplug them and then plug something in between them that has a tap out on it.

Like this.
1669851439316.png

That's how these aftermarket add on lights should be working.

You pay $300 for a light kit but it T-Taps into an existing line? Cuts the insulation? Causes a failure point that will bite you in 3 to 5 years? No bueno.

But if you use this type of a harness tap then you maintain the integrity of water tight connections and can use heat shrink on what ever you do with the wires that come out of it.

AND!!! If you are adding a LOT of lights, more amperage than the wire will hold, you just use a relay on that line and then string a new power line from the battery. Zip tie it along side the harness as it runs down the frame to the lights. Simple, easy clean.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I installed the Baja Designs on my 2020 and the difference is night and day (see what I did there ?).
:crackup:

That Baja Designs looks like it's top quality, certainly a shining example of an outstanding product.

So how did the install go?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have an aftermarket bumper with cube LEDs in it.

I simply tapped into the existing backup light.

Been over 2 years with no issues and terrific light when backing up.

Ranger X

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Ranger Sport 4x4
:crackup:

That Baja Designs looks like it's top quality, certainly a shining example of an outstanding product.

So how did the install go?
Very easy to install, bolted right on and grounded to a point just behind the hitch. As far as the wiring is concerned, it was plug and play. Install was straight forward with decent instructions, which Baja provided

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Very easy to install, bolted right on and grounded to a point just behind the hitch. As far as the wiring is concerned, it was plug and play. Install was straight forward with decent instructions, which Baja provided
Plug and play has my name written all over it!

That makes it worth the money and I'm gong to take another look at them now, I'd really like more light back there when packing up from a day on the water.

Thanks!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Conceptually close but not quite...

This is how the after market trailer lights on my 93 Ranger worked and I got it from Walmart. Imagine the plugs where your harnesses meet. You unplug them and then plug something in between them that has a tap out on it.

Like this.
1669851439316.png

That's how these aftermarket add on lights should be working.

You pay $300 for a light kit but it T-Taps into an existing line? Cuts the insulation? Causes a failure point that will bite you in 3 to 5 years? No bueno.

But if you use this type of a harness tap then you maintain the integrity of water tight connections and can use heat shrink on what ever you do with the wires that come out of it.

AND!!! If you are adding a LOT of lights, more amperage than the wire will hold, you just use a relay on that line and then string a new power line from the battery. Zip tie it along side the harness as it runs down the frame to the lights. Simple, easy clean.
Thanks for all the info. On my old FJ40, I added all sorts of things (most with relays) and wasn't too concerned with all the splices I made.

But, now, older and more scaredy pants, I approach anything in the Ranger with caution.

For one thing, that old FJ was so easy to work on. I rebuilt the engine twice under a tree and did all the maintenance on it for 40 years (changed out the clutch a few times, and many, many brake jobs, welded up the leaf springs).

On the Ranger, I'd have no clue how to mess with anything. Hell, when I picked it up from the dealer, the one-touch driver side window wasn't working. A service tech cane over and had to initialize it! What the heck is that? My new tool box is a AAA and credit card ...

You've convinced me that the cost of that kit is worth it for the ease of install and the quality of the entire thing. Thanks!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so using 4 wire trailer plug is a no go for adding a set of rear lights? I really only want them to come on in reverse. do not need them to be brakes or indicators etc. aw snap i meant the round not the flat 4 lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: