Adaptive Cruise Control amd Brake Lights

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
Does anyone know if when the adaptive cruise control slows the vehicle down if the brake lights come on?
I drive the interstate regularly, and have often wondered this. I would assume that they do. Just wondering if anyone can verify.
The same question applies for the trail control, and the emergency braking system, I suppose.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I had someone ask me the same too but I have no idea. Someone needs to get someone else to follow them and find out for sure!

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
I just read a article on this somewhere, but cannot find it.
I believe it stated that IIHS and/or NHTSA has requirements regarding the severity or degree of braking/slowdown and requirement(s) for when brake lights come on. It has something to do with the level of autonomy the vehicle has. ? ? ?

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I sure hope something comes on because the are tying into the CHMSL to trigger the trailer brake controller so it works with ACC and AEB!

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
the brake lights do come on in my subie with eyesight, it even shows on the info screen when the brake lights come on ..

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer is yes, they do come on. However they do not come on in every situation. If your truck can gradually slow down just by coasting or a slight bit of engine braking, then your truck will use that and not activate the brake lights, however when needed and your truck uses the actual truck brakes, the brake lights will also activate. If you drive at night, the edges of your taillights are visible in the sideview mirrors, and when you press the brakes you can see a change in the edge of the taillight when the brake lights are on. So if you drive at night with ACC on, you can check the taillight in the sideview mirror when you feel a more intense slow down and you should be able to see the brake lights on.

TexasTrash75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
My wife has driven behind our Ranger on the highway and said the brake lights did not come on. She doesn’t like the ACC for this reason.
Sponsored