First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Ev's are a technological dead end. Always have been. There will eventually be new discoveries in power sources, but this ain't it. Ev's are at a big disadvantage to I.c. engine, and will be for the forseeable future. If they are forced on the public by .gov regulations, they also will not only be more expensive to buy and maintain, they will also not have a lifespan anywhere near an ic based vehicle. And cheap charging at home? Ha Ha, that isn't going to work out like you think. Look for mandated separate charging station at your home, with greatly increased rates(think gas tax) and mileage taxes.There are reasons they are pushing this, and it has nothing to do with the new ice age, or is it global warming, oops, guess i better go with climate change.
Sponsored

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Don't know why I keep coming back to this tread??? Thanks so far for the lack of obvious "name calling". Pretty much basic stating of opinions with some facts to illustrate.
Well, guess I answered my own question ?.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
There is a reason fuel has been king for over a 100 years.. it easy to make, easy to transport, easy to fillup and pound for pound it has more energy is 1 ounce then anything else on the market.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I mean is anybody in this forum surprised sans the die hard anti-EV crowd? Ford has a solid line-up for ICE engines to be paired up with hybrid systems, so it makes sense for them not to invest in development of new ICE technology. Where as when it comes to EVs they're pretty green so they have to spend more to R&D new tech. Seems like common sense to me.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Biden administration targets 52 mpg fuel economy regulations by 2026
This is why the oil producing nations are finding new ways to reinvent their economy's for the future. And why gas will continue to be worth less.

69/19Ranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1969 Ranger, 2012 Mustang
Occupation
Automotive technician
Will electric vehicles need a locking cap on the charging port? Can you "siphon" electric from the battery of one vehicle to another?

You can bet your ass that there is a well educated thief out there somewhere working on how to do just that as we speak

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
The EV's seem to be disposable cars. The older Nissan Leaf's are going just over 100, 000KM and then are starting to get diminished range out of their battery's. Most of the battery's are not easy to remove from the cars and replace. This maybe a tactic of the automakers to have you buy another car. I am interested in the 6G Ranger PHEV, I wish to hopefully keep it for a long time. It maybe extremely costly to replace the battery if its capable of being removed.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The EV's Nissans seem to be disposable cars. The older Nissan Leaf's are going just over 100, 000KM and then are starting to get diminished range out of their battery's. Most of the battery's are not easy to remove from the cars and replace. This maybe a tactic of the automakers to have you buy another car. I am interested in the 6G Ranger PHEV, I wish to hopefully keep it for a long time. It maybe extremely costly to replace the battery if its capable of being removed.
I would agree that the Leafs appear to be disposable, along with some of the GM EVs.

Many Teslas are out there with over 100k and no real reliability issues.

When my wife gets her new vehicle we were thinking Mach E or Tesla, but now we're leaning more toward a PHEV.

You get a lot of the benefits but with Zero range anxiety.

The only real downside is that you still have to do the maintenance on the ICE portions of the drivetrain.

Looks like many of the PHEVs recommend oil change every 7500 miles or once a year regardless of miles.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The EV's seem to be disposable cars. The older Nissan Leaf's are going just over 100, 000KM and then are starting to get diminished range out of their battery's. Most of the battery's are not easy to remove from the cars and replace. This maybe a tactic of the automakers to have you buy another car. I am interested in the 6G Ranger PHEV, I wish to hopefully keep it for a long time. It maybe extremely costly to replace the battery if its capable of being removed.
I just saw a news article about a company in Europe that is installing salvaged batteries from new Nissan Leafs into the older models. There’s no reason that can’t happen here too if there is enough volume to make it viable.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I myself wouldn't mind having an EV but the issue is charging and the availability is severely limited and probably 20 years away from being remotely close to mainstream. Hybrid is pretty much the closest I would get to that. I live in the DFW area and charging stations do not exist much at all. An electric vehicle for back and forth to work may work, but sight seeing, camping, or just getting in the car for a drive is something you can't do. Having to always plan to have a rapid charger is inconvenient and wastes time. I'm noticing they're skipping a missed opportunity and trying to go full electric before pushing hybrids more.
PHEV or straight Hybrid makes much more sense to me. My wife's Fusion Energi is perfect for her commute & averages over 70MPG... It could do better but she is a very aggressive driver. ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm quite the fan of I.C. engines. But the performance capabilities of EV are pretty intriguing.

The families' plan for the next new vehicle is looking like a Mustang GT. The hope is by then the "baby 'zilla" will be out and it would probably be the last Ford V-8.

But I'm not gonna lie, if at the same time they're offering an actual Mustang that's electric powered and fast? I might be swayed. I've got 240v in the garage.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
The big looming problem with old EVs: It’s really, really hard to change the battery

The big looming problem with old EVs: It’s really, really hard to change the battery (msn.com)

Wow, these replacement battery costs are an opportunity for ripping off the consumer.

I would say as the technology improves the batteries will last the life of the car. Some Teslas are getting 250KM on the battery. Those people are getting screwed with the older EV's.
Sounds like Nissan or Nissan Canada is really screwing up & that may well bite them in the end when it comes to repeat sales or brand loyalty.

Here's a report from someone in Washington State here in the U.S. - note that Nissan still tried to dissuade them from replacing the battery, which only cost $5,500 and dealers are not allowed to mark up.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...tric-car-battery-replacement-and-what-it-took
Sponsored