A New Era in vehicles

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The problem with this country right now is the "can't do" attitude. When Henry Ford rolled out the first model T, was there a nationwide network of gas stations? No. Hell, there were barely any decent roads. Was there a nationwide network of gas stations 20 years later? Yes! And there was a federal highway system! Now, talk about EVs 20 years in the future and the response is "can't do it, it's impossible to roll out a nationwide network of charging stations". WTF. If we spent as much effort on doing things as bitching about them, it would already be done.
Sponsored

ND13

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
Sales
When I’m able to completely charge an EV in about the same time as it takes me to fill a tank and get 400+ miles per charge, I’ll take EVs more seriously as alternative for me to consider purchasing. I think we are still at least a decade before we see that.

OP
OP
DeathRanger

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
When I’m able to completely charge an EV in about the same time as it takes me to fill a tank and get 400+ miles per charge, I’ll take EVs more seriously as alternative for me to consider purchasing. I think we are still at least a decade before we see that.
What if I told you a vehicle exists on the market now, albeit quite expensive. This vehicle gets 405 miles per charge. When supercharging you can get 200 miles in 15 minutes. If some rumors are true, we'll be seeing 500 mile range electric vehicles next year

The nice thing about charging is it takes about 1 second of your time to plug it in at home then it's fully charged in morning. You don't have to reroute off the highway, find nearest gas station, get in line, wait for your turn to use the gas pump, pull up, touch a public gas pump with who knows what germs/disease on it, press 10 buttons just to start the pump, wait 5-10 minutes for gas to fill and then finally leave gas station to get back on highway.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Ev's are a technological dead end. Always have been. There will eventually be new discoveries in power sources, but this ain't it. Ev's are at a big disadvantage to I.c. engine, and will be for the forseeable future. If they are forced on the public by .gov regulations, they also will not only be more expensive to buy and maintain, they will also not have a lifespan anywhere near an ic based vehicle. And cheap charging at home? Ha Ha, that isn't going to work out like you think. Look for mandated separate charging station at your home, with greatly increased rates(think gas tax) and mileage taxes.There are reasons they are pushing this, and it has nothing to do with the new ice age, or is it global warming, oops, guess i better go with climate change.
Here in California all new residential construction by code has to have solar. The cheap charging at home is already happening. Three of my coworkers drive electrics; two have solar on the roof. One of them charges at home, pays nothing & sometimes sells back to the electric company.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
You know the F-150 Lightning is reported to possibly get 475 miles per charge, right? We may be about to pass your (and many other people's) mileage threshold, which means charge time is the big hurdle remaining.

I figure I need about the same range as you (400+) to make it up to my mother-in-law's once the mountains, heat/AC, extra bodies and luggage are factored in. But once there, we'd be able to charge overnight.

https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-f-150-lightning-range-could-reach-nearly-500-miles

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
...which means charge time is the big hurdle remaining.
This is the key.

This is why we're looking more to a PHEV where charging time is a non-issue.

When range is to the point where the vast majority of trips can be made on a single charge, the EVs will finally be a viable option for many folks.

I don't particularly want to drive 600+ miles in a single day. I've done it, but I don't dig it.

If an EV can reach those ranges where the driver becomes the limit, then Range Anxiety (whether real or perceived) won't be the turn off it is now.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
[...]
I don't particularly want to drive 600+ miles in a single day. I've done it, but I don't dig it.

If an EV can reach those ranges where the driver becomes the limit, then Range Anxiety (whether real or perceived) won't be the turn off it is now.
No longer being in my late teens or 20's I now appreciate the idea of the vehicle restricting me from doing one of those Chicago-to-San Francisco in 48 hours trips ever again.

If the F-150 really does do nearly 500 miles, I think that would be the edge of range anxiety. Problem is, after 5-10 years that may drop to only 200. That'll be the next hurdle.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Stop the rant and go get the July/August issue of Car and Driver. This is a magazine that's all but ICE vehicles. This issue, on EVs, will blow you away. Read it.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I have no problem with EV's. But as usual the government, and manufacturers is getting the cart before the horse. There should be amply charging stations across the country, and vehicles should charge much faster. If you need to be across the country it shouldn't take you 3 days longer, because you can't find a charger or you have to wait to long for the vehicle to charge. And of course the range of the batteries has got to be improved. Having to stop in 300-350 miles is not an optimal range for those that travel for a living. IMHO

BTW, has any of these EV advocates even considered the power grids. I live in the Historic District in our town. If 2/3rd's of the people on my small part of a very old power grid plug their vehicles in the same time, I doubt very seriously with all the other electrical drains, that the grid could handle the load.

And another thing. I have a lot of questions. Is there anywhere these batteries can be recycled when they are done. Or, is it gonna be like those stupid fluorescent squiggly light bulbs brought to us by George Bush the younger?
Why would companies invest in charging stations when there isn't cars charging?

Supply vs demand you have to push for electric vehicles and then companies will invest in charging stations. and it won't take decades it will take a decade in just the last 4 years the number of charging stations have tripled.

That is called capitalism.

As for electrical grid, you might be surprised at the capacity of the overall system. This isn't the 70's where a house is only allowed 60 amps. New homes have to be able to be setup for 200 amp services anyways. I live in a historical district that's quite strict and I was easily able to upgrade to 200 amp service. (what color light bulbs outside the house, I swear sometimes it is as bad as an HOA)

The stupid fluorescent were the capitalist cheap version to get the ball rolling on the LED bulbs that are currently everywhere. you had to set the standard, and let implentations work their way through. and supply chain to get up to speed. and sooner or later your have $2.00 led light bulbs and not $20.00 led light bulbs.

Electric cars are the same way.

Captialism is isn't the most effecient way. it is makes all sorts of side turns and detours. however it is the most economical way, and brings the greatest profit to the majority.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
The problem with this country right now is the "can't do" attitude. When Henry Ford rolled out the first model T, was there a nationwide network of gas stations? No. Hell, there were barely any decent roads. Was there a nationwide network of gas stations 20 years later? Yes! And there was a federal highway system! Now, talk about EVs 20 years in the future and the response is "can't do it, it's impossible to roll out a nationwide network of charging stations". WTF. If we spent as much effort on doing things as bitching about them, it would already be done.
Yeap, I see this all the time. Drives me nuts when people think the transition to EV is impossible.
They act like batteries will never be improved, they act like the grid cannot be fixed, they assume we can't build eV charging stations. unbelieveable.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
As for electrical grid, you might be surprised at the capacity of the overall system. This isn't the 70's where a house is only allowed 60 amps. New homes have to be able to be setup for 200 amp services anyways. I live in a historical district that's quite strict and I was easily able to upgrade to 200 amp service. (what color light bulbs outside the house, I swear sometimes it is as bad as an HOA)
My only problem with this statement is the fact that every summer were I live we face the threat of rolling blackouts due to supply issues and people wanting to run their Air conditioning. I don't even want to think about the impact that increased EV charging would have on the already overtaxed system. I addition to that What do you do when the grid does in fact fail and you need to leave? If the car is not charged due to the grid failure, for me it is the threat of wildfire and the need to evacuate, it is not like you can have spare battery packs on standby for grab and go like you could have with IC and some gas cans ready to go.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
At this point EV's are not the solution.
I disagree, its a catch-22. Evs are and will be the future for good reasons. The challenge will be all the migration to it, including infrastructure. But since we live in a capitalist world, we wont be able to see the infrastructure built first to meet needs. We’ll have to force EV to force people to build the infrastructure which many will do once it becomes profitable. Hopefully that makes sense.

Basically we want infrastructure before the evs but in reality that wont happen because of people’s bottom line.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Basically we want infrastructure before the evs but in reality that wont happen because of people’s bottom line.
There are currently about 120K charging ports in the USA. There are companies that are forming to build and maintain charge stations. I suspect that as more and more EVs are built and driven, the infrastructure will continue to grow along side it.
Sponsored