First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
Plant Supervisor
I just got a 2021 Ranger XL ( STX package ) and I am quite happy with it. However I did notice that the A.M Radio reception is horrible. Even the strong station in our area ( 55 WKRC and 700 WLW if you know the area ) are problematic with static. A Google search yielded quite a few results that this is often an issue. I do like to listen to talk radio on my morning drive. Is there a common cause for this and a solution? I would hate to take it back to the dealer for such a small issue...at least right away. Maybe some time from now if there is not a known fix.
Sponsored

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I just got a 2021 Ranger XL ( STX package ) and I am quite happy with it. However I did notice that the A.M Radio reception is horrible. Even the strong station in our area ( 55 WKRC and 700 WLW if you know the area ) are problematic with static. A Google search yielded quite a few results that this is often an issue. I do like to listen to talk radio on my morning drive. Is there a common cause for this and a solution? I would hate to take it back to the dealer for such a small issue...at least right away. Maybe some time from now if there is not a known fix.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
You did not say if your ‘21 is new so make sure your AM/FM antenna is tight. In fact I’d take it out and clean any corrosion or dirt off the end. Also the stock antenna is about 8 inches long. Some owners replace it with a stubby antenna which may degrade performance.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Check to make sure your antenna is installed. Many have found the aerial was not screwed in and was in the glove box.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
There are OEM and aftermarket AM radio antenna filters that try to remove some of the static, you might try one of those.
Before you do though, is the static a regular buzz that changes tempo or pitch with RPM?

OP
OP

IrishCarl64

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
Plant Supervisor
There are OEM and aftermarket AM radio antenna filters that try to remove some of the static, you might try one of those.
Before you do though, is the static a regular buzz that changes tempo or pitch with RPM?
regular static unaffected by RPMs or internal changes....definitley changes due to hills, electric wires, etc. Typical poor reception

Martyd

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL,2018 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
retired
I have a 2020 XL with the basic radio and my AM reception is OK. Am radio frequencies are susceptible to electronic noise, so that's one thing. They are also effected by atmospheric conditions that come and go. I would give it a few days and see what happens

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
regular static unaffected by RPMs or internal changes....definitley changes due to hills, electric wires, etc. Typical poor reception
Did you ever check that the antenna is installed as previously suggested?

Last edited:
OP
OP

IrishCarl64

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
Plant Supervisor
People still listen to a.m.?
You are not the first to say that...but yes. In my area WKRC and WLW ( the truckers station ) are very popular. One is largely politics, the other news. I listen to news as I drive in to work...or I did until I bought this truck.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Do you have Sirius XM? It's not free, but it was a game changer for me. I can listen to any politics, news, music, comedy anytime anywhere.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I have the opposite experience. I can't believe how well my AM stays locked onto a station when all other vehicles I drove in the past would lose it completely. My wife even commented about it.

I hope you get it worked out.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
I know it's not a fix and rather a work around but try using iHeartRadio app on your phone. Will be a digital signal.. then play it through your stereo.

Should work.. until/unless they also transmit the AM on an FM HD channel like many AM stations do.

Good luck!
Sponsored