Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lincoln Corsair GT, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired USAF, semi-pro photographer
Greetings!!

Picked up a 2019 Lariat a few months ago and so far I am quite pleased. It has about 38k miles, and seems to be in extremely good condition (paint, body, etc.). Everything works perfectly, so far, and I think it will work quite well for our limited needs. We'll use it mostly for visits to Home Depot/Lowes/nurseries, etc. with some light duty trips in poor weather. I'm retired and we have a new '22 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV as our primary car, so it's definitely in second place in our garage.

But ... we do plan to keep it a long time and I arranged a 6 year Ford Premium ESP ... just in case!!

I did replace the factory "off road" tires (it has the FX4 option) with some highway Goodyear Wranglers. Much better ride ... especially on the freeway!! And, we'll never go "off roading" - so I'm not missing anything!! Also did a couple of FORSCAN changes ("Bambi" mode for the lights, and speed sign recognition - just for fun!!)

I am well aware of the issues involving the 10-speed AT. Had a 2017 F-150 Platinum that had tons of gremlins from day 1 until we traded it in!! So far, the one in the Ranger seems to be OK most of the time. I did reset the "learned" adaptions, and it seems to be a little better. But, I will watch it closely!!

Question 1 - what is the roar I'm hearing when taking off!! Especially when cold. More than noticeable!! Seems to be associated with the 1-3 great changes as after it speeds up a bit, it goes away. It also seems to mostly disappear when the engine is warm. Any ideas?

Question 2 - I have had a number of recent Fords, and by far the brakes seem to be more "mushy" on this Ranger than anything else I've driven. The dealer swears the pad/rotor condition is just fine, and it does seem to actually "stop" OK ... but the pedal just seems softer than I am accustomed to. Normal?

Thanks in advance!!

Ken
July 8-86.jpg
Sponsored

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
As we take a trip down memory lane, we can easily answer both questions as they arise as often as high tide

#1 your engine cooling fan. its noisy in the beginning. Gives the big truck feel. Sounds like the lions are waking up before starting the hunt or whatever. The viscous coupling does its thing whether its hot or cold.

#2 go back into forscan and read up the procedure to force bleed the antilock brakes. it too is a noisy process but it has helped many a member.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Last edited:

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Greetings!!

Picked up a 2019 Lariat a few months ago and so far I am quite pleased. It has about 38k miles, and seems to be in extremely good condition (paint, body, etc.). Everything works perfectly, so far, and I think it will work quite well for our limited needs. We'll use it mostly for visits to Home Depot/Lowes/nurseries, etc. with some light duty trips in poor weather. I'm retired and we have a new '22 Lincoln Corsair GT PHEV as our primary car, so it's definitely in second place in our garage.

But ... we do plan to keep it a long time and I arranged a 6 year Ford Premium ESP ... just in case!!

I did replace the factory "off road" tires (it has the FX4 option) with some highway Goodyear Wranglers. Much better ride ... especially on the freeway!! And, we'll never go "off roading" - so I'm not missing anything!! Also did a couple of FORSCAN changes ("Bambi" mode for the lights, and speed sign recognition - just for fun!!)

I am well aware of the issues involving the 10-speed AT. Had a 2017 F-150 Platinum that had tons of gremlins from day 1 until we traded it in!! So far, the one in the Ranger seems to be OK most of the time. I did reset the "learned" adaptions, and it seems to be a little better. But, I will watch it closely!!

Question 1 - what is the roar I'm hearing when taking off!! Especially when cold. More than noticeable!! Seems to be associated with the 1-3 great changes as after it speeds up a bit, it goes away. It also seems to mostly disappear when the engine is warm. Any ideas?

Question 2 - I have had a number of recent Fords, and by far the brakes seem to be more "mushy" on this Ranger than anything else I've driven. The dealer swears the pad/rotor condition is just fine, and it does seem to actually "stop" OK ... but the pedal just seems softer than I am accustomed to. Normal?

Thanks in advance!!

Ken
July 8-86.jpg
Hello Ken from Ken :)

My brakes are mushy also was gonna try this...

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Welcome Ken. Hard to say if the mushiness of the pedal is normal or not since that is a very relative to operator measure. But, with the miles, age and concern, (as others have also mentioned) it would not be a bad idea to do a brake flush and that ABS bleed procedure just to be sure there is no air in the line causing the mushy feel.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I did the ABS bleed in Forscan and it really helped...for a while. So I had the dealer check them and they bled them under warranty. Much better but not like my wife's Edge. I think when I get around 50k I will have the fluid changed.

OP
OP
Minuteman3

Minuteman3

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lincoln Corsair GT, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired USAF, semi-pro photographer
Small update ... thanks for the info about the fan. Noisy, it is!! But, at least I now know it's no big deal!!

Did the ABS bleed procedure using Forscan, and my initial impression is a noticeable improvement. Process was easy ... but I may have missed the guy on YouTube telling me that once it started, there would be a very loud noise from the engine compartment!!! Other than that, EZPZ!!

I'll probably also look into a brake system flush at some point as well. My DIY days are long gone, so I'll add that task to my next service visit.

Thanks for the info!!

Ken
Sponsored