Occupation
Technician
------- 11/10/2019 Update -------

Courtesy of @dguffin.

Here’s what I saw at SEMA with a part number of VKB3Z-2C006-A

41EA22F5-F770-4245-B9F0-646D2ABD3F89.jpeg

8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

July 3rd 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control module is expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

8492.PNG

I was about to pull the trigger on a redarc controller but I think now I'll wait to see what ford is offering.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I logged on to Fords website this morning and scrolling though the OASIS broadcast messages noticed this.

Jul 3 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control moduleis expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

I was about to pull the trigger on a redarc controller but I think now I'll wait to see what ford is offering.
Interesting, Ford expects you wait 6 months to get your truck then 6 more to tow with it.
Do they expect you to buy this thing or are they going to consider it part of the Tow Package and provide it free of charge.
Do you think we will be notified by mail?

OP
OP
Willcuts93

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Interesting, Ford expects you wait 6 months to get your truck then 6 more to tow with it.
Do they expect you to buy this thing or are they going to consider it part of the Tow Package and provide it free of charge.
Do you think we will be notified by mail?
They don't even specify if it will be in the dash somewhere like on an F-Series or just some goofy accessory like the keypad. Ford doesn't tell me or my fellow technicians very much unless it's broken or recalled. After driving mine for about a month it does feel like the ranger was rushed into production before everything could be fine tuned.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They don't even specify if it will be in the dash somewhere like on an F-Series or just some goofy accessory like the keypad. Ford doesn't tell me or my fellow technicians very much unless it's broken or recalled. After driving mine for about a month it does feel like the ranger was rushed into production before everything could be fine tuned.
Thanks for the info. I feel for those who tow at upper limits, but a good aftermarket controller will work fine, but may require the driver to pay more attention to avoid activating the AEB.
In my case it won't matter much since my trailer is light enough not to require brakes.
I have them and use them but the truck would still be effective with AEB.
Every driver should know to increase following distance when towing.and to set the sensitivity of such things as adaptive cruise control to reflect that.

OP
OP
Willcuts93

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for the info. I feel for those who tow at upper limits, but a good aftermarket controller will work fine, but may require the driver to pay more attention to avoid activating the AEB.
In my case it won't matter much since my trailer is light enough not to require brakes.
I have them and use them but the truck would still be effective with AEB.
Every driver should know to increase following distance when towing.and to set the sensitivity of such things as adaptive cruise control to reflect that.
I feel like as long as a motion sensing proportional brake controller as opposed to a time delay controller is being used everything should function just fine. And I would agree that while pulling any load a safe enough distance should be kept anyway that the AEB shouldn't need to be used.
It drives me nuts when I see a truck with a trailer in the fast lane, right up against the car in front of it.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I logged on to Fords website this morning and scrolling though the OASIS broadcast messages noticed this.

Jul 3 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control moduleis expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

Is there a TSB associated with this? Maybe a PDF copy?

OP
OP
Willcuts93

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Is there a TSB associated with this? Maybe a PDF copy?
Unfortunately no, not with an OASIS broadcast message. I can try to take a screenshot if someone might find it useful though.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like as long as a motion sensing proportional brake controller as opposed to a time delay controller is being used everything should function just fine. And I would agree that while pulling any load a safe enough distance should be kept anyway that the AEB shouldn't need to be used.
It drives me nuts when I see a truck with a trailer in the fast lane, right up against the car in front of it.
That is a good point The P3 has that feature as does the Hopkins Insight I think the Redarc does as well.
Seems like anything without it is obsolete?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
July 3rd 2019

2019 Ranger vehicles come standard equipped with automatic emergency braking (AEB). Aftermarket trailer brake controllers may not be compatible with AEB technology. Do not tow trailers equipped with electric brakes without a compatible trailer brake controller. The compatible Ford Licensed trailer brake control module is expected to be available 4th quarter 2019.

8492.PNG

I was about to purchase a Redarc within the next month. I think I will wait and see what Ford comes up with. It may be the Redarc as I think I read somewhere that is what is used for the global Ranger.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
If the OEM controller is radically different that the redarc and the P3 controllers - requiring a replacement. I would see Ford as liable for a recall or free install if you bought a rig with the tow package. They sell the truck based upon the tow capacity but without an controller that cannot be realized. Those of us that bought the truck and then got a controller were unable to get any guidance from Ford. I think we have a valid claim.

If I sound frustrated I am. I have spent the last month trying to figure out the controller and had to cancel my 4th of July trip because I was waiting to get in to get it installed this week.

The dealer I bought the truck from has been just as frustrated as I have been.
Sponsored

Last edited: