Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was getting"27" MPG on trips and "22" around town......Once I calibrated the trucks MPG indicator with my hand calc I am getting 19 in town and 25 on freeways, The trucks programming is not the same as hand calcs. It's pretty generous Anyone who is using the trucks MPG should calibrate the MPG to match hand calcs.
Sponsored

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I was getting"27" MPG on trips and "22" around town......Once I calibrated the trucks MPG indicator with my hand calc I am getting 19 in town and 25 on freeways, The trucks programming is not the same as hand calcs. It's pretty generous Anyone who is using the trucks MPG should calibrate the MPG to match hand calcs.
Ive checked mine twice now against my calcs and its been pretty spot on. I was off .2 miles the first time and .3 the second time.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My truck has FX4 tires. I really do not go off-road that often. Wonder if you recommended any best fuel-efficient tires? 60 % city & 40% highway. Changing tires might help improve the MPG? I keep my tires at 35 psi as the ride is firmer but mpg will improve better than at 30 psi.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What's the build date on your truck?

I always compare hand calc vs computer. Mine has always been within 1 mpg, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. Our truck has over 5000 miles.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
My truck has FX4 tires. I really do not go off-road that often. Wonder if you recommended any best fuel-efficient tires? 60 % city & 40% highway. Changing tires might help improve the MPG? I keep my tires at 35 psi as the ride is firmer but mpg will improve better than at 30 psi.
Lighter weight tires with less aggressive tread would help. My wife's Jeep Wrangler has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. Those would be a good compromise.

That being said.. they are not as good in snow as the Dynapro's your truck came with.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire...&model=Ranger&vo=XL 4-wheel drive&ctid=161198

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Lighter weight tires with less aggressive tread would help. My wife's Jeep Wrangler has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. Those would be a good compromise.

That being said.. they are not as good in snow as the Dynapro's your truck came with.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-sr-a?year=2019&make=Ford&model=Ranger&vo=XL 4-wheel drive&ctid=161198
Thank global warming! There is not much snow in Indianapolis so the issue of snow is minimal. Thank you for the recommendation of Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tire. WIll check it out. I like to buy USA products as much as possible.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What's the build date on your truck?

I always compare hand calc vs computer. Mine has always been within 1 mpg, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. Our truck has over 5000 miles.
March 19, 2019. I have 4500 miles on it and calibrated the indicated fuel use to match hand calcs.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
March 19, 2020. I have 4500 miles on it and calibrated the indicated fuel use to match hand calcs.
You mean March 2019, right? I'm wondering if perhaps they changed the calculation later on? My truck was built July 2019

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You mean March 2019, right? I'm wondering if perhaps they changed the calculation later on? My truck was built July 2019
Follow this to set mileage to match hand class...

img002 (1).jpg

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
Checked tire pressure.... dumb *sses at my Ford dealership apparently didn't do a great delivery inspection... tire pressure at 23psi on some and up to 28psi on others... This was on top of my headlights/day time running lights not working (high beams did work)... from brand new off the lot (out of state internet purchase). Added air and did 35psi all around truck drives night/day better with steel base rims and mpg went up about 1 mpg. 2 weeks ago added some upgraded aluminum 17" rims with A/T factory tires and didn't change tire height in the tune... mpg went down 2mpg to 19.5. Haven't been hand calculating.. just hit 3500 miles and been driving it a bit harder.... needs a tune badly

My truck also on occasion (every few days) makes a clunk going into reverse... and also when it shifts into 2nd gear (also every few days). For my first new FORD vehicle ever... I can say I'm not super impressed thus far. My 2006 Toyota Tundra v6 isn't very far behind this truck in mpg/low end power/usability (18mpg) for my swimming pool biz and just hit 186K miles on OEM pretty much everything aside from waterpump/belts/battery....

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Hand calc between 15 to nearly 20, but it is always very windy here. I tend to have a fairly even mix of city / highway maybe more city, but I also like to get on it probably too much getting on the freeway, a lot of times have to get after it to keep from getting run over. Not really seeing the kind of mileage I thought this truck would get, but also not driving (ever) under perfect conditions either.

No level, running stock Michelins LTX MS Defenders. I have never really paid any attention to the lie-o-meter. I might reset the thing and try looking at it to see what it does when re-set with a fillup.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
My 2wd Scab, when new was getting 23 pretty consistently but now the last 5 tanks are just over 20. Suppose my foot has gained a bit of weight. 13k miles.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I’d wait until it’s time for new tires of course because doing it now wouldn’t make economic sense. The mileage gained from new tires wouldn’t offset the cost over their lifetime.

But when it’s time to change just look at all season/highway and you’ll find something you like. I used to buy General Grabbers on my Expedition and I liked them. Lots of towing miles.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I was getting 16 city and just barely 22 hwy on 93 octane gas before I put a tune on it. The actual mpg per tank based on miles driven vs fuel consumed including idle time was 19.8 mpg per tank.

I flashed it with the Bully Dog pre-loaded 93 tune and saw a slight increase to 18 and 24.3 under similar driving conditions. Actual mpg increased to 21.8 when running the pre-loaded 93 Oct tune.

Then I popped in the 5 Star 93 perf. tune and a K& N filter and city is now averaging 17-18 and an impressive 26.8 hwy. The actual mpg per tank so far with the 5 Star 93 oct. is about 24.6. That's basically a 5 mpg increase with the 5 star tune over stock.

This is a full mix of stop and go city and 90+ mile hwy trips with a 60/40 split averaging 75 mph fwy speeds with 18" Bridgestone Duelers at 35 psi.

Fairly impressive mpg for a truck.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
So I took my first road trip today. Maintained posted speed limits pretty much 70mph. As you can see..the ACTUAL mpg is nowhere NEAR the advertised! So far my only gripe with the truck..j/s

20190306_155654.jpg
26.4 mpg here before winter and winter mix crap fuel.

Was down to 23.3.

Heading back up with warmer weather and switch of to summer mix.
Sponsored