6” Rough Country, Struts and Shocks

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
You want 6” This is a better option with coil overs.

https://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=1547H

rough country has poor metal coating and shocks. Changing shocks will improve the ride: fox, king, bilstein, ome, ads, icon.
We have installed (and cover under a 3yr/36k parts and labor warranty) over 200 RC lifts and countless RC shocks at our shop. I don’t think we have warrantied anything or had any complaints or quality control issues. Ask anyone on here running RC about how awesome their shocks are for the money… my dad has RC, I have fox and I honestly can’t tell a difference.
If I was offroading with a 6" lift I would use BDS, if I wanted the cool lifted look I would go with RC.

My uncle bought a new sierra at4 and wanted more of a lift so he bought a RC lift and it feels the same as stock, which was very very smooth. I was mind blown that that very expensive truck came with ranchos.
I guess at the end of the day we can use whatever we buy to their limits and nothing further.
Sponsored

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
No idea, got it 3 years ago. It’s just a spacer
Do you have stock shocks?
You can have a nice 3.5 lift if you buy coilovers and put them at their max height at 3.5". And then buy some BDS shackles for the rear so make sure your rear shocks can handle 1" of lift. That's all that the BDS 3.5" lift is. It's just fox 2.0's and some shackles.
I sold my Bilstein 5100's to a guy that installed the BDS shackles and said it felt way better with the shackles.

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
If I was offroading with a 6" lift I would use BDS, if I wanted the cool lifted look I would go with RC.

My uncle bought a new sierra at4 and wanted more of a lift so he bought a RC lift and it feels the same as stock, which was very very smooth. I was mind blown that that very expensive truck came with ranchos.
I guess at the end of the day we can use whatever we buy to their limits and nothing further.
My point exactly. Unless you are doing serious off-roading. (Which we actually did quite a bit with our old Jeep on 4” RC full kit) maybe you spend a bit more. But I don’t know. Our new Jeep has the the AEV rubicon kit with bilsteins and they both feel about the same ride wise and quality wise. Both Jeeps are rubicons so flex is the same with sway disconnects from factory.

First Name
Brandon.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger +6 on 35"
Occupation
Firefighter/ EMT.
Any feedback on the quality of Rough Country 6” suspension lift? Also, mechanic recommended possibly replacing struts and shocks at 45k miles (just doing it now).
Fresh take... it may be good depending on what you do it may be bad.
I have it on my truck as it was installed by the dealership w/ warrenty at the time of purchase. It uses a large cast drop spindles and a subframe drop to achieve the drop and keep cv angles at reasonable range without exagerating them like some lifts, making for trail gernades when shock loaded. This being said its not super high tech. The spec nerds and brand whores will still turn up tneir nose but clearance matters not getting high centered helps and if you want to run 35s its a quick way to get there. But theres plenty of room for improvement the strut tower drop spacers are dumb. A proprietary 6" adjustable resi shock like their vertex setup for fullsize and jeeps would be welcomed improvements. Its flexible enough to leave room for improvements in your individual setup but cheap enough to make those aditional mods possible. Your lowst points are still your differential and the subframe drop. But it keeps me off the usual hangups. Still recomend skidplates and sliders in whatever setup you run but at the end of the day its your truck fuck them cats if the dont like it.

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I think all of the 6" lifts on market come with complimentary flat billed hats and monster drink decals. So thats a plus.
I din't get a hat or a decal. Should I raise some hell?

No sense of having a truck if you dont use it like a truck.
That's a ridiculous statement. Some of us just like trucks. The ride, the look...nothing wrong with form over function. Everything I do with my truck, I could do with my Monte Carlo. Including the off roading...so long as it's bone dry and I wanted to be completely stupid. But the truck just makes it easier, even i the truck isn't challenged by the tasks it performs. (threre's just not that much off roading here). My truck in off the lot stock form would handle probably 80% of the off rOading here.

Everyone uses their truck for different reasons. Some haul, some don't use the bed, some use it as a toy, some want most mpg's, some want a lift that looks cool. I have seen 6" RC lifts on IG but saw one in person and it looked bitchin. I was like daaaang that's cool when I passed by.
Exactky. I've always liked the look of lifted trucks, bigger, aggressive tires...whether needed or not.

I just want a taller ride and softer ride while being able to turn my wheel 100%. I also want the tallest height that doesn’t look dumb with 285’s
6" lift, 285/65/18. Dumb, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

20220321_084709.jpg

20220321_084742.jpg

20220321_084822.jpg

Last edited:

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
I always wonder how they get things in and out of the bed before realizing they probably don't ever use the bed.
We lift with our backs, not with our legs. And I made mine even more challenging to load by installing a Decked system. But it sure makes a nice sleeping surface when I camp.

20220711_154822.jpg

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Dang. I like how you simply ask about the 6" lift and get hammered by everyone else's opinions. It's your truck and you make the payments for it, so if that's what you're looking for, then by all means I say go for it. While it's true that it really won't add to the overall off road capability, I personally like the big lift trucks...but then again, in Hawaii a 6" lift is a minimum LOL!
20220318_142838_01_01.jpg

? ???

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
We lift with our backs, not with our legs. And I made mine even more challenging to load by installing a Decked system. But it sure makes a nice sleeping surface when I camp.

20220711_154822.jpg
As I'm sure you like the truck that way I'm sure is a pain in the ass to put stuff in the bed. Including tires the truck was lifted about 7.5 inches right? With the Old Man EMU lift and 33's the front went up by 4 and the rear went up by 3. If I tried to go any higher I wouldn't be able to use the truck as a truck anymore as it made it a slight pain to put things in the bed. Even a friend of mine that lifted his truck with a 6 inch kit regrets it for the same reason, cant get shit in the bed without struggling.

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
What constitutes using the truck as a truck? I can load the bck with coolers, camp and bike gear, and throw our bikes on my hitch rack for a weekend camp trip deep in the forest. I can still haul green waste, but I have to take smaller, and more freuaent trips. I won't be hauling a refrigerator with it. Maybe a washer or dryer. Lumber and materials for the remodel? I'll just pay for delivery. Meanwhile, every time I walk past my truck, it still stops me in my tracks to look at and admire it. And not just me. I gotta admit-I love the attentioon it gets.

Yeah, It's a pain in the ass to load, and it will be even more so when my shell arrives. I'll lose even more bed utility, but I'll gain some in other aspects. I do a lot of spur of the moment camping, as i like to be at the trail head before sunrise. All the gear I need for an overnight or two of that fits in the drawers, and that is sooo much more convenient than typical loading'unloading, and I can leave striaght from work without having to go home first to load up. And that's especially nice with all the trails I like being a couple hours away.

I'll still be able to use my truck as a truck. I'll just be a little (or a lot) more limited in the "truck things" I can do.

t's a trade-off, and one I can live with.

Last edited:

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Now, If my living was more dependent on thr utility of my truck, I wouldn't do this. Or I'd have two trucks. One for work, one for play.
Sponsored