First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Healthcare
I recently installed the 589 Design hidden winch mount and noticed significant rubbing of the rope on the fair lead and even the mounting plate due to the sharp angle of the rope when winding. I followed the instruction to underwind the rope per winch manufacturer instructions. With the fair lead mounted so high is it acceptable to do an overwind on the rope?

For reference the winch is a smittybilt x20 10k with synthetic rope.
Sponsored

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I can't get a pic of my truck but this pic shows how high the fair lead mounts.

1642100125033.png
That's nice. I like that. Would like to see what it looks like all put together. I want to go this route too eventually.

OP
OP

Socal Steve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Healthcare
That's nice. I like that. Would like to see what it looks like all put together. I want to go this route too eventually.
The mount works great and the winch fit perfect with the stock bumper intact. had to make a custom bracket for the winch controller instead of making new leads. Still working on a bracket for the adaptive cruise control.

There are plenty of other pictures online and in the forums of the winch/plate installed. Looks very clean and is pushed back nicely.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
The winch must be under-wound for the brake to work properly. With that said, it appears your winch is mounted upside down, and therefore should be over-wound.

Edit, I see that's not your truck, but assuming yours is mounted with the clutch on the left, it's upside down. I aslo see the 589 in the center of the mount, and the fairilead hole above it, so it's obviously the intent to mount the winch inverted. If so, the rope should come off the top of the drum and straight out the fairlead.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I can't get a pic of my truck but this pic shows how high the fair lead mounts.

1642100125033.png
With it up that high, can’t imagine why you couldn’t wind over the top. Fire that pic off to the winch manufacturer. They will be in the best position to make the correct recommendation.

OP
OP

Socal Steve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Healthcare
The winch must be under-wound for the brake to work properly. With that said, it appears your winch is mounted upside down, and therefore should be over-wound.
With it up that high, can’t imagine why you couldn’t wind over the top. Fire that pic off to the winch manufacturer. They will be in the best position to make the correct recommendation.
I sent them an email already. Just curious to see if others may have had this same issue.

OP
OP

Socal Steve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Healthcare

Edit, I see that's not your truck, but assuming yours is mounted with the clutch on the left, it's upside down. I aslo see the 589 in the center of the mount, and the fairilead hole above it, so it's obviously the intent to mount the winch inverted. If so, the rope should come off the top of the drum and straight out the fairlead.
I mounted mine with the clutch on the drivers side. Which is what the winch manufacturer and 589 say.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I mounted mine with the clutch on the drivers side. Which is what the winch manufacturer and 589 say.
The 589 mount you pictured is 100% designed for an inverted mount.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Copy.
Confirmed with Smittybilt only underwound. looks like its all coming back out and be flipped.
That's a bummer, but at least you caught it before any damage was done :)

OP
OP

Socal Steve

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Healthcare
That's a bummer, but at least you caught it before any damage was done :)
Definite bummer... and only a little damage, I shave a little bit off the rope doing the initial wind up. too bad I didn't realize until it was all the way in.
Sponsored