3rd Brake Light Replacement

Hauser717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT, 2004 Mercury Marauder
I bought a smoked 3rd brake light for my new XLT Extended cab (2 door / 6' bed) and noticed that I need to pull down the headliner to access the plug-in. Does the headliner pull down easy or is there something special I need to do to not damage it? I do have a tendency to inadvertently break stuff so I want to be as careful as possible.
Sponsored

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
You should not have to pull down the headliner at all. The light can be replaced from the outside.

OP
OP
Hauser717

Hauser717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should not have to pull down the headliner at all. The light can be replaced from the outside.
Okay, I'll check that. I didn't pull on the cable to see if the connector isn't far.

OP
OP
Hauser717

Hauser717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The headliner has to be pulled down. The cable that connects the 3rd brake / bed light assembly runs into the cabin through a hole and will not pull out. Please understand that I am replacing the entire assembly and not just replacing bulbs.

So again, can anyone give directions on how to safely pull down the rear of the headliner just enough to access the connection to the cable to swap out the 3rd light assembly?

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
If no sliding rear window, it is not too bad. Palms facing you, start towards the middle of the headliner at the top of the glass, slide your hands up, and then pull away from the roof. There are plastic clips that will pop out of the sheet metal and allow you room to work. Slight creases in the material will not be seen after you pull your hands out. There is a piece of tape blocking the opening the wire goes through. I don’t know if you need to replace that. Light leakage, a draft, OCD, are all good reasons to slap a piece of duct tape in there.

Fun fact: You can use this same process to help deliver a baby in an emergency.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
The headliner has to be pulled down. The cable that connects the 3rd brake / bed light assembly runs into the cabin through a hole and will not pull out. Please understand that I am replacing the entire assembly and not just replacing bulbs.

So again, can anyone give directions on how to safely pull down the rear of the headliner just enough to access the connection to the cable to swap out the 3rd light assembly?
Unless you have a different harness, this is how I replaced mine. It’s the same light as on the 2015+ F150.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
If no sliding rear window, it is not too bad. Palms facing you, start towards the middle of the headliner at the top of the glass, slide your hands up, and then pull away from the roof. There are plastic clips that will pop out of the sheet metal and allow you room to work. Slight creases in the material will not be seen after you pull your hands out. There is a piece of tape blocking the opening the wire goes through. I don’t know if you need to replace that. Light leakage, a draft, OCD, are all good reasons to slap a piece of duct tape in there.

Fun fact: You can use this same process to help deliver a baby in an emergency.
Just make sure to have extra microfiber cloths to rap the baby in.
...just sayin'

OP
OP
Hauser717

Hauser717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you have a different harness, this is how I replaced mine. It’s the same light as on the 2015+ F150.

I wish it had been this easy. Tape holding the wiring in place. The connector was secured to the body with a plastic anchor. Headliner did NOT want to pull down, but did. And I lost one of the screws to the light and it's now between the cab and the bed and isn't visible to be retrieved. But the new smoked 3rd light assembly is in.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase

I did the entire unit and just pulled the wire out. I did not have to drop the headliner in any way

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I bought a smoked 3rd brake light for my new XLT Extended cab (2 door / 6' bed) and noticed that I need to pull down the headliner to access the plug-in. Does the headliner pull down easy or is there something special I need to do to not damage it? I do have a tendency to inadvertently break stuff so I want to be as careful as possible.
So, I just now found this thread as I was attempting to put in my new smoked third brake light into my 2022 Lariat FX4 SuperCrew. I am sure you've already figured this out on your own, but I just wanted to add my two cents.

I can say definitively that you cannot install it from the outside only. At least not on a 2022 Lariat. The wiring must be released from the truck from the exterior, but it is not long enough to pull through and access the required connection.

You must pull down the headliner in the back in order to access the connection. Then slide the brake light's wiring through and connect it. The headliner wasn't easy to pull down, but it did eventually. And there wasn't any lasting creases or anything that came about. It popped back in without much trouble.

This is the brake light I used from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WX5F67D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One thing to note is that this brake light's connector does NOT fit exactly as is. I had to shave down small tabs on one side in order for it to fit correctly. But it connects then and stays connected. And everything works well.

Finding black screws to replace the stock silver ones was almost impossible at Home Depot (since my whole truck is blacked out, I needed black screws for the smoked out light). I did find some that didn't match exactly, but they work.

Hope this helps someone.

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
So, I just now found this thread as I was attempting to put in my new smoked third brake light into my 2022 Lariat FX4 SuperCrew. I am sure you've already figured this out on your own, but I just wanted to add my two cents.

I can say definitively that you cannot install it from the outside only. At least not on a 2022 Lariat. The wiring must be released from the truck from the exterior, but it is not long enough to pull through and access the required connection.

You must pull down the headliner in the back in order to access the connection. Then slide the brake light's wiring through and connect it. The headliner wasn't easy to pull down, but it did eventually. And there wasn't any lasting creases or anything that came about. It popped back in without much trouble.

This is the brake light I used from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WX5F67D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One thing to note is that this brake light's connector does NOT fit exactly as is. I had to shave down small tabs on one side in order for it to fit correctly. But it connects then and stays connected. And everything works well.

Finding black screws to replace the stock silver ones was almost impossible at Home Depot (since my whole truck is blacked out, I needed black screws for the smoked out light). I did find some that didn't match exactly, but they work.

Hope this helps someone.
Would you happen to know what type of screw is needed for the 3rd brake light? I just replaced mine over the weekend and wanted to swap in some black ones too.

Also, I have a 2020 lariat and had to pull down my headliner too.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Would you happen to know what type of screw is needed for the 3rd brake light? I just replaced mine over the weekend and wanted to swap in some black ones too.

Also, I have a 2020 lariat and had to pull down my headliner too.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find an exact replacement for the screws at Home Depot. I think the stock screws I had on mine were torque screws. Probably doesn't really matter that much. But you kind of just have to take one of the stock screws with you into Home Depot/Lowes and see what you can find that is close enough. I found some regular ones that were fairly close and they were black, so that's all that really matters. They work and you basically don't see them. So, all good.

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Unfortunately, I couldn't find an exact replacement for the screws at Home Depot. I think the stock screws I had on mine were torque screws. Probably doesn't really matter that much. But you kind of just have to take one of the stock screws with you into Home Depot/Lowes and see what you can find that is close enough. I found some regular ones that were fairly close and they were black, so that's all that really matters. They work and you basically don't see them. So, all good.
Nice, I think Ill have to do the same. I was worried about water leaking in through the different screws but the light I bought came with little rubber washers that I didn't notice until I had it installed.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Nice, I think Ill have to do the same. I was worried about water leaking in through the different screws but the light I bought came with little rubber washers that I didn't notice until I had it installed.
Mine came with a foam seal to stick on to it. I stuck it on the brake light and then put it on the truck. But I think I was supposed to stick it on the opening of the truck (there's only 3M adhesive on one side of the seal) and then install the light over it and the opening. I washed and been through rain, though, and so far nothing seems to be bad on it. Don't see any wet spot on the headliner inside and the light still works.
Sponsored