First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
What would be in it for the dealer, unless they resell your vehicle back to you for more than they buy it for? Doesn‘t make any sense to me. Plus transferring title back and forth, etc. seems like a headache and Murphy’s Law is likely in play here.
What's in it for the dealership?

Simple $3750 from Ford.

Which makes it...

A. Easier to sell the truck

&

B. Easier to charge more for the vehicle.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’m not really sure why people are so confused. Like D Fresh said it’s just a simple kickback from Ford. Not some kind of hocus pocus magic

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Im not confused by the incentive, I’m confused how a trade-in incentive doesn’t, in reality, involve a trade in. It’s a shady deal, but hopefully it worked out for the OP. A salesman that will screw over Ford and/or the dealer signing his paycheck will certainly not mind screwing over his customer.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Im not confused by the incentive, I’m confused how a trade-in incentive doesn’t, in reality, involve a trade in. It’s a shady deal, but hopefully it worked out for the OP. A salesman that will screw over Ford and/or the dealer signing his paycheck will certainly not mind screwing over his customer.
Well maybe I’m the idiot that doesn’t understand the incentive then lol you don’t need a trade in to get the incentive?

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Well maybe I’m the idiot that doesn’t understand the incentive then lol you don’t need a trade in to get the incentive?
so its kind of a Ponzi-scheme ford is playing on themselves? a 'Paper Trade'...?

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Where do you see this info? Link?

I sold my car to Carvana. They gave me $6k more than what I would have been offered on a trade. So, even if this turns out to be true, I would have been over $2k worse off.

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
What's in it for the dealership?

Simple $3750 from Ford.

Which makes it...

A. Easier to sell the truck

&

B. Easier to charge more for the vehicle.
Plus an extra $250 for filing some paperwork to transfer title back, plus it will look like they sold 2 vehicles.. so who knows if there is more incentives for selling volume

OP
OP
renewedcaper

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Plus an extra $250 for filing some paperwork to transfer title back, plus it will look like they sold 2 vehicles.. so who knows if there is more incentives for selling volume
I think ultimately, it’s this.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I am always cautious about any supposedly good deal. Dealers try to run a numbers game to trick sellers. One gimmick is to offer a big trade in and then add that mark up onto the top end of the final price hoping that the customer won't notice the difference. It is very important to understand the functions of the wholesale, trade in and retail values in the blue books (kbb and nada) and how to relate these to the MSRP sticker to know where you are. Even at this, the price can be muddied. The only really accurate way to know what you are getting is to determine exactly how much the dealer has actually paid for the vehicle (including incentives and factory kickbacks) and this is very difficult if not impossible to find out.

Last edited:

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Getting trade in DEALS from the dealer every week in mail and e mail form . Only thing is I have 0% and they are offering 2.9 % . My 19 has very low miles so they would score . Then no more saber color so I could not be happy .

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I'd want to verify that myself. Don't see it anywhere on the FORD website.

Would need to be in the VINCENT system, so I'd have the dealer print out an incentive sheet. and that is was actually coming from FORD themselves.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
I am always cautious about any supposedly good deal. Dealers try to run a numbers game to trick sellers. One gimmick is to offer a big trade in and then add that mark up onto the top end of the final price hoping that the customer won't notice the difference. It is very important to understand the functions of the wholesale, trade in and retail values in the blue books (kbb and nada) and how to relate these to the MSRP sticker to know where you are. Even at this, the price can be muddied. The only really accurate way to know what you are getting is to determine exactly how much the dealer has actually paid for the vehicle (including incentives and factory kickbacks) and this is very difficult if not impossible to find out.
Dealers can change numbers around all day to make a good deal sound "supposed good".
They try to fool some, yet experienced buyers catch it.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
For what it's worth, I have some anecdotal info. I bought a 2020 ranger less than a month ago. I had a 2009 Outback is near perfect condition, super low mileage. At the time there was a $2000 incentive to trade, but they were only going to give me $4800 for the Outback.

I had already gotten a price from Carvana of $8200, so I didn't trade. As soon as I got home I re-ran the quote from Carvana and it went up to $8610.

With the chip shortage killing new car production the wholesale price of cars is through the roof. Also, as for Carvana, the sale was painless and they will give insane prices to buy cars. Get a quote online, they come to pick it up, 10 minutes later you have a check in hand and your old car is on their truck and gone.

Not sure I would buy from them, but I'd sell to them again in a heartbeat.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
For what it's worth, I have some anecdotal info. I bought a 2020 ranger less than a month ago. I had a 2009 Outback is near perfect condition, super low mileage. At the time there was a $2000 incentive to trade, but they were only going to give me $4800 for the Outback.

I had already gotten a price from Carvana of $8200, so I didn't trade. As soon as I got home I re-ran the quote from Carvana and it went up to $8610.

With the chip shortage killing new car production the wholesale price of cars is through the roof. Also, as for Carvana, the sale was painless and they will give insane prices to buy cars. Get a quote online, they come to pick it up, 10 minutes later you have a check in hand and your old car is on their truck and gone.

Not sure I would buy from them, but I'd sell to them again in a heartbeat.
HMMMM, I just bought mine in March, I was unaware of any $2,000 incentive to trade.
There was a $1750 "truck month" rebate.....

Was this just some rebate the dealer was giving?
Sponsored