Dilemma on trade in

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I ordered my Ranger back in January of this year. Been built and is awaiting shipment from the rail yard. When I signed the deal, I was provided a trade value for my current vehicle which was acceptable to me. Dealership promised to honor the trade as agreed to whenever my Ranger arrives. They said the trade value would be the same on the close date unless the vehicle was in an accident.

Fast forward. I am now having issues with my vehicle. Right now the major problem is it won't shift out of first gear and a number of other related issues. I have brought it in to an independent mechanic and try as hard as he could, he can guess what is wrong but it not certain. It goes to the dealer tomorrow. I have confidence they can fix it as from what I have read, this is a fairly common issue on this vehicle.

The other problem that just started is a fluid leak. I know the cause, I know where it is coming from and I know the cost to get it fixed ($400 generic part at independent place - $900 original part at a dealership). As the problem I have now is probably going to cost me upwards of $500, I really don't want to be spending money to fix the real slow leak as my Ranger is expected in a few days.

The dilemma. How do I handle this with the dealership? Do I need to tell them of the things that have gone wrong since signing the deal that I have fixed? What do I tell them about the slow leak that I don't want to fix. The dealer has been very good to me and it is not in my nature to be anything but honest. Do I just say upfront on the day I trade for the Ranger that there is a slow leak, this is the problem and see what they do? Do I not mention it? What do I do if they say they are going to deduct $1000 from the trade value when I know I can get it fixed for significantly less?

Appreciate the discussion.

Mark
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
The answer is "how would you want someone to deal with you if the shoe were on the other foot"? I'd say to be honest with them. These are not existing cosmetic damages that they should have spotted when they initially appraised your vehicle. They may not deduct anything and just add the cost to their cost basis when they re-sell the vehicle, or they might deduct the cost of repairs from your trade. Either way, you'll feel better if you are honest with them.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Personally, I feel like you have gone above and beyond. They made a deal for the car as it was and I'm sure they looked at it. The way I look at it, they have give you a loaner (your car) until your truck arrives so that maintenance is on them.

I do understand where you are coming from though. When I sold my Jeep, I was very upfront in the ad that the tires were completely trashed. It was a fair deal for the Jeep, but the buyer didn't even haggle, so I took 1000 off on my own and let him know when I picked him up at the airport (noisy vibrating tires is a bad look). And Karma, being so appreciative of my honesty, decided to have the Jeep spill it's freon all over ground when we went to test the AC (it was early December in NW Florida and I had no idea about the leak), so we got an estimate for the repair and I had to reduce the price even further. Even after that, I was still ok given the experience I had with the Jeep..and was glad to sell it so quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm all about being upfront. I'd hate to purchase a vehicle and then immediately have issues. I'd also hate the dealer to sell a vehicle with a 30 day warranty and then have the vehicle come back with issues.

I feel OK about not disclosing the issue I have had and fixed. One would have been costly had I brought it in but I was able to get it fixed for $5 after researching the issue and learning how he system worked. Dealership wanted $2800 and would have replaced stuff not needing to be replaced. Have not had that issue since I fixed it nor I believe in my hear that the issue remains. I didn't go the usual route but but know it is good. Could it come up again - sure. Also had to replace a couple of maintenance parts (thermostat, ground wire) that I don't believe I should have to discuss.

I am struggling disclosing the current issue I am hoping to get fixed tomorrow and the fluid leak. If I tell them everything that has happened, and been fixed, they may not want my trade anymore. IT is a good vehicle, just getting of that age and mileage where stuff starts to go wrong.

Thanks for the replies....

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
I sold a car privately once. They wanted the car and would be back in a couple of days. During that time the car developed a master cylinder leak. I discounted the car $500, they still took the car and I slept good that night.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
You have the right to remain silent, question is if you have the ability.

I would not attempt to lie or deceive them. I expect them to multi-point inspect the vehicle and raise issues. But it is not typical or customary for the owner to list issues other than accidents durring a trade, and I imagine some of this should have been expected or anticipated given the described age of the trade when they made the offer.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
You have the right to remain silent, question is if you have the ability.

I would not attempt to lie or deceive them. I expect them to multi-point inspect the vehicle and raise issues. But it is not typical or customary for the owner to list issues other than accidents durring a trade, and I imagine some of this should have been expected or anticipated given the described age of the trade when they made the offer.
Love it - "question is if I have the ability". So true.

I have been upfront from day one with the dealer. I have purchased vehicles from them previously and have always gone to them when a Ford or Lincoln is in the equation. When I brought down my current vehicle, I brought along the service records I have kept and a copy of the carfax report. I have nothing to hide as the vehicle has been bulletproof.

Figures it is now having issues. The things that have gone wrong and have ben fixed I am comfortable not disclosing. It is the darn leak. I don't know if they are going to take the current vehicle to an auction or sell it themselves. The vehicle is in great shape - looks new, and has been taken care of. I'd be comfortable selling it the way it is on the open market. I'm just worried that when the leak is disclosed, they will want to reduce the trade value heavily and disproportionately to the cost for me to repair it.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks -

Mark

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
If you are trading it in they will access it and buy it as is. They will give you less compared to you selling it on the open market.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If you are trading it in they will access it and buy it as is. They will give you less compared to you selling it on the open market.
Yep, I know I am getting less than what I could get on the open market. When I did the math on my time and effort, the sales tax incentive it was almost a wash on trading verses selling. I’d probably have done a little better selling it on my own but the value of the time to do so verses the differential in money wasn’t worth it to me. Im not a rich guy believe me but I’ve sold many cars over the years (a couple in the past year already even) that I just didn’t have it in me. Thisbplus the fact that I started the purchasing process back in January when it was a million below zero. Never fun to sell a call in the winter.

My initial delivery date was to be in early March and it was my mistake to believe it. Had I known it was going to be late April, I may have waited to sell it on my own. Oh well.

Thanks for the comment

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
I would probably mention the issue to them. Their word was that they'd only change the trade in value if it was in an accident. So in that way you will find out if they are true to their word. They don't sound like major/uncommon issues either and they have a service department that could likely fix them with limited additional cost to the dealership. If they do give you a hard time, you'd have a new problem on your hands but at least you can rest knowing you were upfront with them.

Just my opinion. Good luck however you decide to handle.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I would probably mention the issue to them. Their word was that they'd only change the trade in value if it was in an accident. So in that way you will find out if they are true to their word. They don't sound like major/uncommon issues either and they have a service department that could likely fix them with limited additional cost to the dealership. If they do give you a hard time, you'd have a new problem on your hands but at least you can rest knowing you were upfront with them.

Just my opinion. Good luck however you decide to handle.
Thank you for the advice. I hear what you are saying and am leaning that way. The sales guy who worked with me was wonderful and still is. The dealership has been good to me as well. Hopefully this will remain the same when it comes time to trade in my old vehicle.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I would take it in and trade it if they ask you if there is a problem tell them the truth if they don't ask don't tell. The only problem I had with my car was the ac was sometimes working and sometime not when they test drove it it wasn't working. They asked me about it and I was upfront about how it was working I lost $500 on my trade but I was ok with that.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I would take it in and trade it if they ask you if there is a problem tell them the truth if they don't ask don't tell. The only problem I had with my car was the ac was sometimes working and sometime not when they test drove it it wasn't working. They asked me about it and I was upfront about how it was working I lost $500 on my trade but I was ok with that.
Thank you for the input.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HONESTY is always the best policy,

Treat others how you would like to be treated, and the answer will come to you

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I typically believe that honesty is the best policy. Having said that, I am never sure how "honest" dealers are with me. Profit is the main goal and being honest with me is somewhere below that. I believe most dealers will take advantage of you given the opportunity. I follow the "don't offer information" scenario mentioned. If they don't ask the right question that's on them. If they do, then I'll fess up.
Sponsored