2023?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I'm in EXACTLY the same boat. I planned on keeping this Ranger for quite some time - last one I had for 14 years. BUT - if they came out with a PHEV Ranger with specs as they were talking about, (HP, Torque, MPG) I'd be hard pressed not to pull the trigger - if they put in the onboard generator, it would be a slam dunk for me.
Yep 100% same. I am seeing that the Ranger is being reported as a plug in hybrid where as the F-150 is not. That sounds more like the system in the Escape than the F-150's system. IDK? All things considered, if this 2023 Ranger PHEV doesn't have the on board generator system like the F-150,( I think they'd be crazy not to), then I'd probably be content in keeping mine for quite some time.
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yep 100% same. I am seeing that the Ranger is being reported as a plug in hybrid where as the F-150 is not. That sounds more like the system in the Escape than the F-150's system. IDK? All things considered, if this 2023 Ranger PHEV doesn't have the on board generator system like the F-150,( I think they'd be crazy not to), then I'd probably be content in keeping mine for quite some time.
The escape plug-in hybrid uses an e-CVT transmission carried forward from the Fusion hybrid. The Ranger's plug-in hybrid system will similar to the F-150s hybrid system (electric motor sandwiched between the engine and the 10-speed automatic transmission). The biggest difference will be the larger plug-in battery pack. I think you can bank on it having the ProPower onboard generator. I will be buying one after a couple model years to allow the bugs to be worked out.

With the larger battery pack the Ranger will have a fantastic generator system. The 2.3 Ecoboost motor will run only to keep the larger battery pack charged. Depending on what you are using the ProPower generator for, the battery pack may supply your generator needs for quite a while before the 2.3 automatically starts up to recharge the battery pack. The Ranger's ProPower system will be superior to the F-150 which has a much smaller battery pack.

Last edited:

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Interesting; my son has a new top of the line Tesla and his wife an all electric Honda. They were afoot during and after the 6 day freeze without electricity in Central Texas. They walked in rare snow and ice to a 7/11 several blocks away to get supplies...guess what, they were closed. We finally rescued? them while their cars were charging during an off and on rolling blackout.. for them to get some supplies at an open grocery.

Reactions: Doc

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
The escape plug-in hybrid uses an e-CVT transmission carried forward from the Fusion hybrid. The Ranger's plug-in hybrid system will similar to the F-150s hybrid system (electric motor sandwiched between the engine and the 10-speed automatic transmission). The biggest difference will be the larger plug-in battery pack. I think you can bank on it having the ProPower onboard generator. I will be buying one after a couple model years to allow the bugs to be worked out.

With the larger battery pack the Ranger will have a fantastic generator system. The 2.3 Ecoboost motor will run only to keep the larger battery pack charged. Depending on what you are using the ProPower generator for, the battery pack may supply your generator needs for quite a while before the 2.3 automatically starts up to recharge the battery pack. The Ranger's ProPower system will be superior to the F-150 which has a much smaller battery pack.
Thanks. I am not real familiar with any of these systems. I am gonna watch these closely. My initial plan was to maybe purchase another new truck end of 2024. The timing would be good as far as this PHEV Ranger getting some real world ironing out.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
While a PHEV Ranger would be nice I'm holding out for this new ride.

https://terrafugia.com

They do one thing REALLY well - make great marketing videos. :)

I will believe it when I see an actual version that works. I've seen them for years and they continually seem to be in a state of "almost there". It is a cool concept though. I doubt many people would be able to afford it however.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They do one thing REALLY well - make great marketing videos. :)

I will believe it when I see an actual version that works. I've seen them for years and they continually seem to be in a state of "almost there". It is a cool concept though. I doubt many people would be able to afford it however.
Yes they market these very well. IIRC they've been touting these for 7-8 years now (maybe longer) but with the newest push to get everything EV maybe these could become reality soon? That particular one is really nice and seems more practical. I wouldn't put it past Elon to have something up his sleeve either. ?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they market these very well. IIRC they've been touting these for 7-8 years now (maybe longer) but with the newest push to get everything EV maybe these could become reality soon? That particular one is really nice and seems more practical. I wouldn't put it past Elon to have something up his sleeve either. ?
They do have an actual "flying car" but it requires a runway etc.

I'm sure as electrics get more mainstream things will get interesting

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
I'm not going to say I'm an expert at power grids or political future or taxes or any of that stuff. All I know is that our power grid is insufficient and lagging even without plugging a bunch of electric vehicles in all the time. So whether it's because of the coming electric vehicle apocalypse or Texas ice storms or SoCal heat waves or Oregon fires or whatever, we still need to do something otherwise these problems will just keep happening more and more often. And if we need to charge people more for them to be able to keep their lights on, then maybe that's what we have to do. Sometimes that's just what needs to happen, whether people like it or not.

I don't necessarily agree that electric vehicles charged by the power grid is the best way to move forward, but it is the way we're going whether we like it or not. So we either have to do something to prepare or be caught off guard when it's too late.
Back in the day when the first ICE vehicles began inroads into society, the horse drawn buggy manufactures also said there would no possible way to efficiently deliver the needed fuel for these new forms of transport.
Fast forward to 2021, the ICE is no longer seen as a profit center for the automakers, its more of a liability these days. EV’s require 60% less components needing to be manufactured, maintained and warrantied. Plain and simple, automakers no longer want to make engines and transmissions. So as the industry drove the need for the availability of oil and gas back in the day, they will also drive the outlets for tomorrows way of fueling our transportation.
Sponsored