2023 Toyota Tacoma Gets Beat by 2023 Hyundai Santa Cruz

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
2023 Tacoma is truly a lame duck and probably the last year of a badly dated design, esp the drivetrain. People will still buy it because it's a Yota . And lastly I wouldn't bother to read the comparison , not apples to apples in many ways.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
2023 Tacoma is truly a lame duck and probably the last year of a badly dated design, esp the drivetrain. People will still buy it because it's a Yota . And lastly I wouldn't bother to read the comparison , not apples to apples in many ways.
The tacoma has been dated for several years...

But there are reasons why they haven't changed anything, it works. So why change it if it works, and people are still buying it?

Toyota will face a backlash from their die hard loyalists if they change to much . . .

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The tacoma has been dated for several years...

But there are reasons why they haven't changed anything, it works. So why change it if it works, and people are still buying it?

Toyota will face a backlash from their die hard loyalists if they change to much . . .
Can't argue with Yota milking a cash cow nor Ford decontenting the Ranger - because they can get away with it. I just wouldn't consider buying a Tacoma although my son did against my sage advice but now he sees the error of his ways.
But eventually the competition will erode your numbers so you can't live on past laurels indefinately, even mighty Yota.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Can't argue with Yota milking a cash cow nor Ford decontenting the Ranger - because they can get away with it. I just wouldn't consider buying a Tacoma although my son did against my sage advice but now he sees the error of his ways.
But eventually the competition will erode your numbers so you can't live on past laurels indefinately, even mighty Yota.
I have to say, my first truck was a tacoma. I bought it used in 2000, base model SR, 4 CYL 4x4. I drove that truck like a racecar, bashed it in the mud in the weekends and treated it like crap.

Besides a clutch, I never had to do much major work on it.

I did sell it back to Toyota with 165k miles on it for 10,500 when the frame started to rust...

And if the taco had better towing and payload, I'd be buying another one... Ohhh and if the dealers weren't selling at above msrp and all but bragging they can.

#XPlanpricing

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Anybody who would do a comparison between a Tacoma and a Santa Cruz is really just looking for the best tall car.
Santa Cruz, Ridgeline, Maverick are the only three apples. Tacoma, Ranger, Frontier are oranges.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have to say, my first truck was a tacoma. I bought it used in 2000, base model SR, 4 CYL 4x4. I drove that truck like a racecar, bashed it in the mud in the weekends and treated it like crap.

I did sell it back to Toyota with 165k miles on it for 10,500 when the frame started to rust...

And if the taco had better towing and payload, I'd be buying another one... Ohhh and if the dealers weren't selling at above msrp and all but bragging they can.

#XPlanpricing
Why are you here on a Ranger forum? You have a Subaru and not Ranger?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Oh a shit stirrer huh? I like that I've been one on occasion as well
While that is true, I have a 23 on order... Should be built next week, if all goes as planned...

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

I've always thought it was weird when people talk about a car from 20+ years ago as though it has any relevance to a car built today. Least reliable car we ever had was an early 80s toyota with a 4K/hydraulic motor that received multiple engine replacements under a (thankfully) extended warranty. What does that have to do with buying a toyota today? Exactly nothing (except, perhaps, as a counterexample for the "toyotas are always reliable" meme.) Sometimes a manufacturer gets everything right and a car runs forever, sometimes they don't. You won't know until 5 or 10 years after you buy the car.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I've always thought it was weird when people talk about a car from 20+ years ago as though it has any relevance to a car built today. Least reliable car we ever had was an early 80s toyota with a 4K/hydraulic motor that received multiple engine replacements under a (thankfully) extended warranty. What does that have to do with buying a toyota today? Exactly nothing (except, perhaps, as a counterexample for the "toyotas are always reliable" meme.) Sometimes a manufacturer gets everything right and a car runs forever, sometimes they don't. You won't know until 5 or 10 years after you buy the car.
Damn. Now I feel old.

Thanks.

Where is my cane....

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It's too bad the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline are compared to the Ranger and Tacoma.
The Santa Cruz and Ridgeline need to be in a class with the Maverick.
Not to give too much credit to the Tacoma, but for a "Truck", try to do full on truck stuff Tacoma vs Santa Cruz.
Sponsored