First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Retired (and loving it!)
Oh cool now it looks like an F-150 / Nissan Frontier / Chevy Truck hybrid.

Completely blew it with the squared off fenders, hood, and front fascia IMO.

Now its homogenized like the rest of the market offerings.
This is my beef with most new trucks now, and especially Ford. They want everything to look "butch" as I call it, or perhaps macho is a better word. This goes back to the Tonka Toy look that they adopted back in the early 2000's.

My first Ford was a 2004 F-150 Heritage, which was a holdover of the previous generation body style (the actual 2004 models introduced the current squared off, boxy look that has only slightly evolved style-wise since then). It was rounded and smaller in most dimensions than the current models. Yes it was dated compared to today's technology, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. For one, it had hydraulic steering, none of this electronic BS. It rode, honestly, more like a sports car than a truck, at least in the right hands. It was agile and maneuvarable. Today's trucks are bulky monsters in comparison.

Which gets me to my rant. It looks like the Gen6 is going in the same direction. My 2021 Ranger is comparable to the 2004 Heritage in that it shares all the same traits I enjoyed in that truck. Now they want to give it that big-boy look, which I'm sure is what sells, particularly for those looking for some "compensation", but that's not something that all of us need;).
Sponsored

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I agree that it's not the greatest looking truck. It's a copy of the Maverick. Some good new additions like the back side step and hopefully a bigger motor 2.7L. It looked like maybe some decent back seat under storage like the Maverick? I will not be trading in my 2020 Lariat any time soon however.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
This is where I'm at too. Very much dislike the looks, but appreciate the features they've added. Will be interesting to see what makes it to NA.
Hey, me too! (Except that I do not mind the looks.) The features look like a step forward in many respects, especially if there are improvements to the suspension. But the big question, as you say, is "what makes it to N.A."?

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
I agree that it's not the greatest looking truck. It's a copy of the Maverick. Some good new additions like the back side step and hopefully a bigger motor 2.7L. It looked like maybe some decent back seat under storage like the Maverick? I will not be trading in my 2020 Lariat any time soon however.
I wouldn't call it a Mav copy, I'd say it bridges the styling gap between Mav and F-150 like we expected. Looks tech-forward and global imo.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, me too! (Except that I do not mind the looks.) The features look like a step forward in many respects, especially if there are improvements to the suspension. But the big question, as you say, is "what makes it to N.A."?
Agreed - things may be quite different with the NA launch. Quite honestly, I'm a bit let down - it doesn't really seem to add a whole lot to what we currently have (at least nothing that is really important for me).

A PHEV with a 6' Crew Cab option in the NA version is what would get me to trade in my current Ranger, otherwise I'm very happy with mine as is.

I guess we have over two years before we will see what is in the NA version.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just looking forward to seeing a US Spec XL or XLT with the smaller 10in screen. And I hope for the smaller screens the dive modes get their own buttons instead of being integrated into the infotainment system. I don’t care about digital dash or the massive 12in screen but I know people do really enjoy those things.
the looks are ok to me. I’m not a fan of the C shaped DRLs but I do love them on the F250 and the F150 so we’ll have to see it in person
I’d have to see some more real photos and not just press resleases and computer generated action-shots. I do have a feeling the US will get two engine choices and one being a hybrid. I have a feeling people would revolt if we still only got the 2.3L.

I’d also assume that Ford US would give us an actual Tremor/Wildtrak ala the F150 with at least front LSD.
With a couple of years for Ford to change it before we get it, they say that there will be no physical buttons for the terrain and drive modes, regardless of which screen you get. It's all via the iPad.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, now it looks like an overgrown, lifted Maverick (which is not entirely a bad thing in my book). It will take a while to digest all of this. They say the suspension is improved, but what is really different about it? Also, when they say "global" Ranger, obviously they don't mean that we in the States are going to have the same options and trims that our friends in Australia do! So what will we get? And when?
Because they stretched and widen the T6 frame for the new version, they are able to mount the rear suspension outside the rails, which should make it more stable and help with articulation.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed - things may be quite different with the NA launch. Quite honestly, I'm a bit let down - it doesn't really seem to add a whole lot to what we currently have (at least nothing that is really important for me).

A PHEV with a 6' Crew Cab option in the NA version is what would get me to trade in my current Ranger, otherwise I'm very happy with mine as is.

I guess we have over two years before we will see what is in the NA version.
Yeah, fortunately, we are happy with our current Rangers and content to wait the two years--or more--before we can get our hands on the N.A. versions!

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
Yeah, fortunately, we are happy with our current Rangers and content to wait the two years--or more--before we can get our hands on the N.A. versions!
It'll be here in less than 2 years or I'll riot ;) you guys shouldn't want to upgrade, you're still breaking those babies in! :)

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
My take away - no surprise to the looks. It was a given that they would make a baby F150, given that the Maverick was that way too. I'm glad they didn't really change the hood much - I love the look of ours and this one isn't much different. I don't love the front bumper but the rear steps are needed and great. The interior shots aren't very detailed but it looks like some minor refinements, which I'm glad for as opposed to going with the urban futuristic Maverick interior styling. Not a fan of the iPad dash look but that's every car and truck and wasn't a surprise. Overall I'm not seeing anything game changing but things like addressing the bed width and rear suspension by modifying the T6 frame is great. I'll probably be ok with trading mine in 2024 or 2025 because by then Ford should be caught up on 2021 Bronco orders and MAP should be able to actually make a truck in 6 weeks.

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
"It looks like a Maverick"

Maybe it's because Ford adopted a corporate design language for all of it's trucks....

Beside where the headlight and grille intersect on the new Ranger, I don't see any resemblance to the Maverick.

2022-Ford-Maverick-Lariat-Exterior-001-Front-Three-Quarters-Configurator.jpg

2023-Ford-Ranger-global-reveal-5.jpg

2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-lariat-117-1605761615.jpg

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
This is my beef with most new trucks now, and especially Ford. They want everything to look "butch" as I call it, or perhaps macho is a better word. This goes back to the Tonka Toy look that they adopted back in the early 2000's.

My first Ford was a 2004 F-150 Heritage, which was a holdover of the previous generation body style (the actual 2004 models introduced the current squared off, boxy look that has only slightly evolved style-wise since then). It was rounded and smaller in most dimensions than the current models. Yes it was dated compared to today's technology, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. For one, it had hydraulic steering, none of this electronic BS. It rode, honestly, more like a sports car than a truck, at least in the right hands. It was agile and maneuvarable. Today's trucks are bulky monsters in comparison.

Which gets me to my rant. It looks like the Gen6 is going in the same direction. My 2021 Ranger is comparable to the 2004 Heritage in that it shares all the same traits I enjoyed in that truck. Now they want to give it that big-boy look, which I'm sure is what sells, particularly for those looking for some "compensation", but that's not something that all of us need;).
Wow complaining about the electric PS huh. That’s one of my favorite features of our trucks. Powerful, quiet, no fluid to mess with. What’s not till like. I guess you want carburetors and rear-only ABS to return too huh?

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
If you watched the reveal video, the end shows a raptor starting up but hidden in the darkness. It says coming soon.
Yep and the actual press release comes right out and says they will reveal it in February.
Sponsored