2021 ford ranger oil analysis

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
I changed out the factory fill at around 6k with Sig Series 5w30 and a Wix XP filter. I had plans on leaving it in for 10k, an emergency road trip came up, and so I decided it was better to get it done then. The amsoil stayed in till 9900 miles which was 0% on the oil life meter.

According to the lab that did the test tbn is listed as "base number". So the oil held up fine. I asked them about fuel dilution and the response was "if there was an abnormal amount of fuel we would have listed it". This was from the lady who answered the phone. She did say she would have the tech who ran my sample to give me a call and explain further. I'm hoping they can give me an actual number... Just for the sake of curiosity.

So far I'm not really concerned with fuel dillution. I checked my oil regularly and it never increased. Towards the end of the 9900 miles I used a little less then a half quart. I never replaced it because it was coming time for an oil change anyway.

I do a mix of hwy/city and do Uber 3 to 4 times a week.. So plenty of stop/go and idling. I've also had a Livernois 87 tune installed at 1k on the odo.

Screenshot_20220627-122807~2.png
Sponsored

OP
OP

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
You may just be the first I've seen that noted theirs used half a quart during an oil change.
My first oil change I overfilled it a bit. Right above the first dot. Nothing changed till around the 9k mark and it was below the dot... I guesstimated its about a half a quart.

Ive read posts here that it can be a bit tricky to get an accurate reading... So this time around I'll make sure to be consistent in how I check it.

OP
OP

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
Just spoke to the tech that did my sample. He said that fuel dilution is not apart of the gas engine test but that my oil was still at a 30w viscosity.
The part that says Viscosity: 9.5. According to him SAE standards for a 30w oil is 9.3 to 12.5 cst. He said had it been 9.3 or lower then they would test further to see why.. One factor possibly being fuel dilution.

So the oil and filter are doing its job. I'll continue with 10k intervals and test the next 3 or 4 changes to get a good read on it.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Fuel dilution seems to be more of a problem with people who make a lot of short trips and don't put on many miles.

OP
OP

21rangerCactus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Self employed
So some one brought up something to my attention....Potassium level is at 22ppm which seems to be pretty high. From my research Potassium would indicate coolant leaking into the engine. My truck has been parked all day and the level is right at the minimum mark which from what i remember is how it was when I first got it.

I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Sponsored