2021 Brake Controller Question

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I pick up my 2021 XLT (w/ towing package)on Monday. Have there been any upgrades to the previous wiring for the brake controller?
Sponsored

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Bump for curiosity. Did they start making a plug now for the 2021’s whereas the 19-20’s we had to dig into the kick well and splice them in.

OP
OP
jdjeff

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Yeah...I apologize for not being more clear. I posted this after reading the entire thread for the brake controller. It seemed pretty obvious that there was alot of disappointment in Ford for not making a controller more plug and play. Just wondering if Ford may have addressed the issue in 2021.

OP
OP
jdjeff

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Yeah, but the question was around the dash harness having the necessary plugs in 2021 as opposed to the need to splice in previous years....especially back to the brake light.

OP
OP
jdjeff

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Yeah, but the question was around the dash harness having the necessary plugs in 2021 as opposed to the need to splice in previous years....especially back to the brake light.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ford offers a brake controller specifically for the Ranger, but I don't know how easy it is to install. I assume easier than a 3rd party controller.
No, it's much harder.

It's difficult to imagine Ford changing it and having to carry an additional part before the next big redesign. They have something that works and they have no reason to screw with it just because installation is a pita.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Considering the 2021 brake controller is the same part# as the '19 and '20, I seriously doubt anything was changed.

OP
OP
jdjeff

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
That would be the assumption, yes.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Under the dash it is still the 4 wires with shrink tube at the end so no connector. I choose to solder my brake controller wires to the Ford supplied ones. They are pretty short too, not that easy to work down there and I am used to working in tight places. I was just happy the 4 wires are down there unlike the earlier ones with the headliner removal and all.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Under the dash it is still the 4 wires with shrink tube at the end so no connector. I choose to solder my brake controller wires to the Ford supplied ones. They are pretty short too, not that easy to work down there and I am used to working in tight places. I was just happy the 4 wires are down there unlike the earlier ones with the headliner removal and all.
The headliner removal is for the Ford tbc. Third party controllers that don't tie into the brake light always had wires under the dash. (Including one activated by the brake pedal rather than the brake light.)

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I had the dealer install the Ford TBC. It works with AEB and ACC. I don't need the trailer swapping ends if I get into a pinch. It's a $40k truck. $300 more for the dealer install is a drop in the bucket. I'll save money on floor mats and other non safety related items. You may have other priorities.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford install isn't as bad as it sounds. Yeah it's a lot more work than most, but I documented it here on our 2020 and it took me 3 hours. I didn't grab the light tap from the harness in the footwell and ran it as it asks to tie into the brake light. I didn't drop the headliner but pulled out the light from the cab so I could take my panel pry tool in through the cavity to access.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...troller-availability.3562/page-24#post-134870
Sponsored