2020 Ranger FX4 bouncy rear end

gcan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Replaced the rears with Fox2.0 shortly after purchase. My truck would make me motion sick at times but the shocks fixed the bouncey / roll effect. But I have to say I’ve never had to replace parts on a brand new vehicle just to be able to stand the ride.
Shame shame mr Ford!
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
On my drive home from the dealership that sold me my 2022 XLT FX4, I was on a fairly curvey mountain road that happens to also be fairly fast and I did notice my rear end wanting to hop around and step out slightly at times, usually when I was on a downhill part of the highway.

I didn't find it so bad that it was going to cause a loss of control, but definitely was overly bouncy/light with the unloaded rear of the truck hopping around in the rougher downhill spots.

I have a plan for the truck ahead. First will be the AMP Research steps. I will have a new hip in about a month and where my old hip is at right now, makes ingress and egress alittle challenging. With the new hip and power steps, I will be ready for the Fox 2.0 FPT shock kit and a level.

I don't do a lot of towing with my truck and don't do much heavy loading in the bed, so I may also go for a set of Tremor rear leafs. The softer initial wheel rate coupled with the new shocks is pretty attractive.

Some fun.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
What is a good solution to fix how bouncy the rear of the FX4 model is? I imagine different shocks, I don't need to spend a lot of money lifting or modifying the truck.
Put 1,000 pounds in the bed...

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
What is a good solution to fix how bouncy the rear of the FX4 model is? I imagine different shocks, I don't need to spend a lot of money lifting or modifying the truck.
Using the search feature to find this topic has been covered to death but also yes its just get new shocks

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's what was kinda odd , I have been faster and bigger bumps and was fine , not this time , the curve made it suck way worse... didn't poop me pants either , kinda proud of that...
There are some thread here, can't find it but folks said to lube the drive shaft since we have 2 of them where the boots goes add lube, I found the parts in Amazon and I'll post it later.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are some thread here, can't find it but folks said to lube the drive shaft since we have 2 of them where the boots goes add lube, I found the parts in Amazon and I'll post it later.
Sorry wrong thread, meant to post it on another one.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What's the damage for fronts and rear ? $1000.00 ?
The full set of Bilsteins is at Stage 3 for $389 (and they have 44 sets in stock!)

Then you either pay for installation or DIY so costs there could vary.

My installation cost $250 but that was including a number of other things besides just the front Bilsteins (do the rears on your own. They're very easy and you can enjoy an instant improvement without having to wait for your appointment for the fronts. I installed mine with the boots facing down).

Then finally add a full alignment. Mine was $89.

You can get it all done for a bit under $1k. Mine was around $750 total and very worth it.

If I add in what I paid for my Tremor rear leafs I am in for around $1100 with my suspension and it is a vast improvement over stock, to the point that I believe I am done with the suspension.

Last edited:

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
They're very easy and you can enjoy an instant improvement without having to wait for your appointment for the fronts. The boots install facing down).
Do you have documentation for installing with the boots down? I was under the impression the rear shocks were installed with the Bilstein decals facing so you could read them (boots would be up).
Thanks!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Do you have documentation for installing with the boots down? I was under the impression the rear shocks were installed with the Bilstein decals facing so you could read them (boots would be up).
Thanks!
Truthfully, with a monotube gas charged shock it doesn't really matter.

On the web you'll see recommendations for boot up, boot down, mount so you can read the label, etc.

I mounted mine boot down simply because I didn't want muddy water and debris trapped inside the boot and sitting right on top of the shock seal where the rod goes in.

The shocks themselves came with no mention of preferred direction IIRC.

I'll edit my post to reflect that I installed mine with boots down.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
What's the damage for fronts and rear ? $1000.00 ?
The full set of Bilsteins is at Stage 3 for $389 (and they have 44 sets in stock!)

Then you either pay for installation or DIY so costs there could vary.

My installation cost $250 but that was including a number of other things besides just the front Bilsteins (do the rears on your own. They're very easy and you can enjoy an instant improvement without having to wait for your appointment for the fronts. I installed mine with the boots facing down).

Then finally add a full alignment. Mine was $89.

You can get it all done for a bit under $1k. Mine was around $750 total and very worth it.

If I add in what I paid for my Tremor rear leafs I am in for around $1100 with my suspension and it is a vast improvement over stock, to the point that I believe I am done with the suspension.
A local reputable shop with good reviews online quoted me $1200 for labor only just to do the front struts + alignment. My local dealer service center never called me back. I think your quotes may vary in the wild.

On forums, other people who ended up paying on the higher end may not be as willing to post it. That $1200 quote was enough for me to do it with a friend who is a very good mechanic.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
A local reputable shop with good reviews online quoted me $1200 for labor only just to do the front struts + alignment. My local dealer service center never called me back. I think your quotes may vary in the wild.

On forums, other people who ended up paying on the higher end may not be as willing to post it. That $1200 quote was enough for me to do it with a friend who is a very good mechanic.
its also a very fresh install and still need to do alignment this week. I’ll report back but don’t think I’ll have any issues post-install.