First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
What is a good solution to fix how bouncy the rear of the FX4 model is? I imagine different shocks, I don't need to spend a lot of money lifting or modifying the truck.
Sponsored

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What is a good solution to fix how bouncy the rear of the FX4 model is? I imagine different shocks, I don't need to spend a lot of money lifting or modifying the truck.
I replaced mine with Eiback but lots of people here uses Fox 2.0 in the rear and the bouncy is gone.

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX Special Edition
Occupation
Facilities Director
Throw a set of Eibachs on. You'll be surprised at the difference for not a huge outlay. I've got the 2.o front and rear and I have to say the rears made the most difference in making the truck feel more planted and stable.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Eibachs and Bilsteins are both very popular here.

Replacing my factory FX4 shocks with the Bilsteins was one of the single best improvements I've made to my truck.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I’ve done the Bilstein rears and been very pleased. It may have been in my head, but they seemed to settle over a couple hundred miles after the upgrade and felt even better than when I first put them on.

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
I just finished doing the Eibach coilovers and shocks with BDS uca’s. Night and day difference. All the handling issues I had are now gone. No more brake diving, body roll, or that horrible porpoising, wallowing affect. I did mine all at once so I can’t say for sure how much the rear shocks do by themselves but many others here have and had great success. Either way, it’s money well spent.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Another plus for the Eibach coilovers. I just replaced mine about a month ago and have been off road with them several times now and it's a world of difference! Now more bounce and over washboards the rear end is way more stable. Spend the money and do it right the first time (I wish I did it sooner) as it really makes a huge difference.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another plus for the Eibach coilovers. I just replaced mine about a month ago and have been off road with them several times now and it's a world of difference! Now more bounce and over washboards the rear end is way more stable. Spend the money and do it right the first time (I wish I did it sooner) as it really makes a huge difference.
Hopefully I don’t regret my purchase! Tentatively planning to the Bilstein front strut replacement this weekend with the 1.8 inch level setting. I don’t off road, so I hope it will be sufficient for me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hopefully I don’t regret my purchase! Tentatively planning to the Bilstein front strut replacement this weekend with the 1.8 inch level setting. I don’t off road, so I hope it will be sufficient for me.
I don't think you will Mike. The Bilsteins are great shocks too and I was looking at them but they were out of stock with no set ETA. I was going to wait but I wanted to put the new shocks on before our trip and get some miles on them before leaving.

When I drove the Bronco last year off road with Bilsteins I was really impressed how well it handled both on and off road. Sure it was a different set up but still very impressive and most if not all on here who've installed them have been happy.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you will Mike. The Bilsteins are great shocks too and I was looking at them but they were out of stock with no set ETA. I was going to wait but I wanted to put the new shocks on before our trip and get some miles on them before leaving.

When I drove the Bronco last year off road with Bilsteins I was really impressed how well it handled both on and off road. Sure it was a different set up but still very impressive and most if not all on here who've installed them have been happy.
I’m pretty excited to get them on. Back on forth a bit between 1.2 and 1.8 but I tend to overthink things. I think I’m just going with 1.8 and rolling with it. I start getting paranoid like, “does it wear out the springs early with preload and such?”

Haven’t read anything about that but I overthink. It’s a future Mike problem, hopefully many years out since I’m currently only averaging 9k miles per year on the Ranger.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I didn't really know why people were complaining about the rear "bounce" , it's a truck , little rough , no biggie , about 3 mornings ago , late for work , (if your always late , I mean always, your really ON time , imo) anyway , had to get around grandma in a curve , I was mad at her slow ass already , so I sport mode turbo around her , quite aggressively, (not close to her or cut her off , just made sure she herd me ) Turbo + Rage + Curve , then I hits a little whoop in the curve , not a good feeling , kinda felt like I may have left the road a little and got sat back down at a different angle , me no likey... ima upgrade, or slow down..

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't really know why people were complaining about the rear "bounce" , it's a truck , little rough , no biggie , about 3 mornings ago , late for work , (if your always late , I mean always, your really ON time , imo) anyway , had to get around grandma in a curve , I was mad at her slow ass already , so I sport mode turbo around her , quite aggressively, (not close to her or cut her off , just made sure she herd me ) Turbo + Rage + Curve , then I hits a little whoop in the curve , not a good feeling , kinda felt like I may have left the road a little and got sat back down at a different angle , me no likey... ima upgrade, or slow down..
I can’t seem to reproduce the bucking bronco on my own. It just happens sometimes!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m pretty excited to get them on. Back on forth a bit between 1.2 and 1.8 but I tend to overthink things. I think I’m just going with 1.8 and rolling with it. I start getting paranoid like, “does it wear out the springs early with preload and such?”

Haven’t read anything about that but I overthink. It’s a future Mike problem, hopefully many years out since I’m currently only averaging 9k miles per year on the Ranger.
Mine are adjustable ups to 3" and I have them set at 2.5" now which I feel is perfect. I don't tow or haul anything heavy so it sits just about perfectly level which I like. Bilstein has a great warranty too so I wouldn't worry about any wear. Let us know how you like them once you get them installed.

IMG_5458.jpg

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I can’t seem to reproduce the bucking bronco on my own. It just happens sometimes!
That's what was kinda odd , I have been faster and bigger bumps and was fine , not this time , the curve made it suck way worse... didn't poop me pants either , kinda proud of that...

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what was kinda odd , I have been faster and bigger bumps and was fine , not this time , the curve made it suck way worse... didn't poop me pants either , kinda proud of that...
It’s only really happened to me a few times, but I’ve noticed it most when going slow at what I can only assume is an odd angle. The Ranger temporarily becomes a Bronco.
Sponsored