Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dave,

Okay, Back story. When we did the Harley Hauler F150, we had the Harley Davidson folks meet with us. One of the takeaways was that the New Harley purchased dropped about $1000 to $1500 in the Harley Dealership store. Shocked, Marketing indicated the Ford purchaser spends between $0 and $50.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

That's interesting. Curious as to what year that was? I would guess that has changed some in recent years. Ford has stepped up the Ford after market business especially with the Mustangs, Rangers and Broncos. It looks like they finally took the Harley idea and ran with it. I think the Ford Performance division is evidence of that. They participate in things like SEMA to help encourage mods. I guess anybody that buys a Harley could be considered an enthusiast where as many car buyers are just out for basic transportation so they are not interested in personalization.

I can relate to the Harley thing. I bought a 1993 sportster new. Changed the handlebars, exhaust and added a few other goodies before I even picked it up.:crazy:

I note that when I watch the Mecum or Barret Jackson auto auctions that they some times describe an older classic as a "day two" restoration, meaning what it would have looked like after the original purchaser made some mods. After all, who didn't want to add some Mags, or Crager SS wheels back in the 60s? I also note that back in the day, steelies with hub caps were the wheel of choice by OEMs even for high end models. Today even many entry level cars have some pretty nice alloy wheels. My unscientific observation is that Ford was on the leading edge on alloy wheels from the factory.

Hope all is well In Az. We are getting some heat like you all, but the dew point is in the 70s. That's topical conditions.:sunglasses: We don't know the meaning of dry heat.:)
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey Phil,

That's interesting. Curious as to what year that was? I would guess that has changed some in recent years. Ford has stepped up the Ford after market business especially with the Mustangs, Rangers and Broncos. It looks like they finally took the Harley idea and ran with it. I think the Ford Performance division is evidence of that. They participate in things like SEMA to help encourage mods. I guess anybody that buys a Harley could be considered an enthusiast where as many car buyers are just out for basic transportation so they are not interested in personalization.

I can relate to the Harley thing. I bought a 1993 sportster new. Changed the handlebars, exhaust and added a few other goodies before I even picked it up.:crazy:

I note that when I watch the Mecum or Barret Jackson auto auctions that they some times describe an older classic as a "day two" restoration, meaning what it would have looked like after the original purchaser made some mods. After all, who didn't want to add some Mags, or Crager SS wheels back in the 60s? I also note that back in the day, steelies with hub caps were the wheel of choice by OEMs even for high end models. Today even many entry level cars have some pretty nice alloy wheels. My unscientific observation is that Ford was on the leading edge on alloy wheels from the factory.

Hope all is well In Az. We are getting some heat like you all, but the dew point is in the 70s. That's topical conditions.:sunglasses: We don't know the meaning of dry heat.:)
The dry does help but when it heats up like it's going to next week nothing really helps but staying inside. Our night time lows are most areas highs for the day. ?

Oh you forgot one popular wheel...Keystone Classics. :)

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 8.23.41 AM.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

Hi Gregg,

I recall we started Harley discussions at some point in about 1999....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
The dry does help but when it heats up like it's going to next week nothing really helps but staying inside. Our night time lows are most areas highs for the day. ?

Oh you forgot one popular wheel...Keystone Classics. :)

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 8.23.41 AM.jpg
The Lowest highs for the next 10 days is 108? That's crazy. Definitely in the danger zone. I bet HVAC technicians are in high demand.

Back in the day I couldn't afford any custom wheels. So rattle cans of paint were my wheel mod of choice. Or maybe my man of means by no means budget. :LOL: I could barely afford gas. Well truth is I had a car but my buddies had to pony up for the gas.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The Lowest highs for the next 10 days is 108? That's crazy. Definitely in the danger zone. I bet HVAC technicians are in high demand.

Back in the day I couldn't afford any custom wheels. So rattle cans of paint were my wheel mod of choice. Or maybe my man of means by no means budget. :LOL: I could barely afford gas. Well truth is I had a car but my buddies had to pony up for the gas.
I remember those days all to well. We would all chip in whatever change we had to put gas in someones car so we could cruise around. It wasn't that bad back then when gas was under a $1.00/gal you could get a couple gallons with the spare change. Although everyone had a muscle car so you'd be lucky to get 8 mpg. lol

Along with all the other shortages we have there's a shortage of good HVAC systems. I'm glad I just replaced mine the end of March because my salesman told me the same Trane unit I have is 8 weeks out and even that's a guesstimate.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I remember those days all to well. We would all chip in whatever change we had to put gas in someones car so we could cruise around. It wasn't that bad back then when gas was under a $1.00/gal you could get a couple gallons with the spare change. Although everyone had a muscle car so you'd be lucky to get 8 mpg. lol

Along with all the other shortages we have there's a shortage of good HVAC systems. I'm glad I just replaced mine the end of March because my salesman told me the same Trane unit I have is 8 weeks out and even that's a guesstimate.
We did the same thing. One of my buddies had a sticker made for the dash on the passenger side of his Ford sedan that read, "This car runs on gasoline, not friendship."

2020 Ranger

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired U.S. Marine
Just brought her home. 2020 Lariat 4x4
Stone stock Silver with Black leather 19,000 miles on the clock.
First mod? Gonna do steps and tonneau cover.
This is gonna be fun.
64514747682__39DF1D0E-C7FC-44E4-B9D8-2CB47FCB29A1 (1).JPG
Looks great have fun modifying it. I have a 2020 and have done several modifications.

PXL_20210614_194629107.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
A tune. You want a tune. I won’t convince you of anything more than that as I’m $9000 deep in mods/add ons... and I still have stock suspension/tires/wheels... sigh....

OP
OP
John

John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
Occupation
Electrician
Looks great have fun modifying it. I have a 2020 and have done several modifications.

PXL_20210614_194629107.jpg
Alan can you comment on what steps are on your truck? I am looking at the 4" Isteps Is that what you have? Or are those factory? Thanks John

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Alan can you comment on what steps are on your truck? I am looking at the 4" Isteps Is that what you have? Or are those factory? Thanks John
Those look like the factory steps.

IMG_4261.jpg

2020 Ranger

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired U.S. Marine
Hi John, yes these are factory black steps.
Sponsored