2019 XLT 4x4 sputtering at low rpms

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
I am having the exact same thing happening. Started last weekend. Under 33k miles and always run 93 also.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I am having the exact same thing happening. Started last weekend. Under 33k miles and always run 93 also.
Brought the Ranger in Monday didn't get her back until today. They did a program upload and that didn't work. So then they changed the gas pedal as per Ford recommendation. Something about a sensor on the pedal which kinda makes sense being it was sputtering only at times when pedal was barely engaged. I drove it 35 miles to work tonight and it is driving much better, but I still feel a very slight stutter. I'm hoping I can tune it out, because it is much better than before. Also told me the computer will need to relearn my driving habits. Cost me a $100 deductible and the use of my wife's car for the week. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a rental, but she didn't offer me one until yesterday. They really don't have any vehicles on the lot. Covid has really messed everything up and I don't see an end in sight. Thanks for everyone who commented on the thread.
Ryan

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Brought the Ranger in Monday didn't get her back until today. They did a program upload and that didn't work. So then they changed the gas pedal as per Ford recommendation. Something about a sensor on the pedal which kinda makes sense being it was sputtering only at times when pedal was barely engaged. I drove it 35 miles to work tonight and it is driving much better, but I still feel a very slight stutter. I'm hoping I can tune it out, because it is much better than before. Also told me the computer will need to relearn my driving habits. Cost me a $100 deductible and the use of my wife's car for the week. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a rental, but she didn't offer me one until yesterday. They really don't have any vehicles on the lot. Covid has really messed everything up and I don't see an end in sight. Thanks for everyone who commented on the thread.
Ryan
Hi Ryan,

The computer will certainly fine tune itsself, but not to your driving style. It the ECM was reinitialized, then you can expect for anomalies as the adaptive process occurs. I do not know if you realize this, but your gas pedal has no direct connection to the engine...it is fly by wire...it connects to the ECM electronically, but not the engine directly...

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Hi Ryan,

The computer will certainly fine tune itsself, but not to your driving style. It the ECM was reinitialized, then you can expect for anomalies as the adaptive process occurs. I do not know if you realize this, but your gas pedal has no direct connection to the engine...it is fly by wire...it connects to the ECM electronically, but not the engine directly...
That's what they said. I appreciate that though

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
You can try running a can of SeaFoam or Techron through the fuel system as an Inexpensive first shot at fixing. Maybe a dirty injector......or could be an injector going bad. If something was really broken/bad I'd think you would throw a code....a true misfire will.

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
Got 58k miles on my 2019 ranger (60k) warranty. It has just started sputtering at around 1500 rpms. It feels like it's starved for fuel. It has never done this until now. It especially does it when accelerating at low speeds. Has anyone else had or currently has this problem? If so what are my best options? The check engine light is not on. I really like this truck and have had zero incidents up to this point. Any help is appreciated thanks
Mine started at 50 miles. Ford has not found fix after 2 months in shop.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat here. I still get hesitation and sputtering even after replacing the EGR sensor 2x. Even with a tune, it's the same. Plus sometimes leaving an intersection or roundabout, I'll put my foot into it and it takes several seconds for it to respond. Local junk yard has throttle bodies for $30, I might try that this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Mine was the throttle body after much trouble shooting. It has been better but not not as good as it once was. Also had a check engine light (recently) something about fuel sensor. It hasn’t came back on since I brought it in a month ago. I like the truck and it fits in my garage much better then my F-150’s. But IMO it is not the vehicle that an F-150 is not even close. Im up to 78k miles and will try to squeeze out about 130ish before my next purchase. F-150 is 150k easy with nothing but tires and regular oil changes at least they were. Im not much on all this HI TECH computer crap, but hey not much you can do nowadays. Computers seem good for diagnostics but I find reliability in vehicles has suffered over the years. Hope Ranger tightens up on some things before I’m ready for a new vehicle. I don’t want to spend what a full size costs these days either. Vehicles will be the next economy crash 7 year loans on 5 year vehicles lol. Crazy what they cost if you can get one. Throttle body was what they changed to get back on point. Good luck with getting it fixed quickly

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Those are
I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat here. I still get hesitation and sputtering even after replacing the EGR sensor 2x. Even with a tune, it's the same. Plus sometimes leaving an intersection or roundabout, I'll put my foot into it and it takes several seconds for it to respond. Local junk yard has throttle bodies for $30, I might try that this weekend and see if it makes a difference.
Those are the same symptoms my truck has exhibited since day 1. Mine is a 22 it's only 6 weeks old and it has done this since day 1. It did get really bad and set the MIL they replaced the knock sensor for that . Thought maybe it needed to break in, but just rolled 2k today and it's actually stayed the same.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Mine started at 11 miles going in for the second time Monday. That new Colorado is looking awful good
I've half a mind to look at the new Colorado when they come out. I'm not thrilled over the 8 speed, but the ranger has never been particularly smooth or consistent for me, so who knows..

Yikes1961

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Mine was the throttle body after much trouble shooting. It has been better but not not as good as it once was. Also had a check engine light (recently) something about fuel sensor. It hasn’t came back on since I brought it in a month ago. I like the truck and it fits in my garage much better then my F-150’s. But IMO it is not the vehicle that an F-150 is not even close. Im up to 78k miles and will try to squeeze out about 130ish before my next purchase. F-150 is 150k easy with nothing but tires and regular oil changes at least they were. Im not much on all this HI TECH computer crap, but hey not much you can do nowadays. Computers seem good for diagnostics but I find reliability in vehicles has suffered over the years. Hope Ranger tightens up on some things before I’m ready for a new vehicle. I don’t want to spend what a full size costs these days either. Vehicles will be the next economy crash 7 year loans on 5 year vehicles lol. Crazy what they cost if you can get one. Throttle body was what they changed to get back on point. Good luck with getting it fixed quickly
I have been having the same problem with my 2019 Ranger. It has gotten worse in the past few weeks, and the Ford dealership says it was the spark plugs. So they replaced them, and it is still sputtering, but not as bad. I'm definitely going to look into the throttle body. Thanks.
Sponsored