First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
EMT
Took it into a well known off-road mechanic today. Placed an ARB Summit Bumper on it. Now, it’s sputtering. Lack of acceleration. Sputters after letting off of the gas pedal. It has a jerking motion from it. Ford Pass gave me to alerts. Also, the pre-collision alert system is disabled after bumper install. Took it to the dealership today. Under warranty. Pretty worried.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Leonard1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
EMT
Sputtered prior to the bumper. Only very slightly. Any ideas?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I can’t offer advise on what‘s causing the problem, but I believe I would have taken it back to the well known off road mechanic first since the timing would seem to suggest that it’s related to the install, in which case Ford won’t likely warranty it. Could be as simple as a sensor becoming disconnected.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have ACC? It may (maybe not) work hand in hand with the camera behind the visor and that might be the collision avoidance issue - if so, you need to relocate the ACC sensor if the bumper is blocking it.

Also, search for, and read the ARB bumper install thread on here to determine which sensors have been disconnected and learn about any other pitfalls to installing this bumper because as @Joeiconic says, Ford isn’t likely to pay a dealer to fix the installer’s mistakes and that well-known off-road mechanic needs to make it right.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
If it was working when you took it in for the bumper install and not when you picked it up, it should have been returned to them. Be prepared to pay the dealer for their time to determine what was done wrong if it had nothing to do with Ford.

OP
OP

Leonard1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
EMT
You had a huge accessory installed, obviously caused directly related problems, and you took it to a Ford dealership and are trying to cry warranty?!?! Come on man.
Not at all. Only stating what’s going on, not crying anything. Relax man. Only
looking for positive advice, relax.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Not at all. Only stating what’s going on, not crying anything. Relax man. Only
looking for positive advice, relax.
Some people here take themselves way to seriously. That is why I use the ignore button. Not even mad at what they say but I've spent 23 years around dipshits in the military - don't need to read their BS on a forum about trucks.

I'd put this back on the shop that touched it. Hoping it is just a sensor unplugged for you on the engine issues.. but what they would unplug to do the bumper and cause that I have no clue.

On the pre-collision, the bumper might be blocking the sensor for it?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Something got disconnected, maybe only partially, wires got tugged on most likely , or pinched perhaps ? I'd retrace my steps before I let Henry look at it ...

OP
OP

Leonard1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
EMT
Would it be a battery issue? A winch was also installed with the bumper.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
My guess is the "well known mechanic" messed up somewhere. Is it something easy to fix? Possibly but without it in front of me I can't tell you anything

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Your main front sensor (box) was down low where the winch was put. So that had to be relocated and reaimed. Wire will be short on that harness for doing that. Did you have front parking sensors (4) in your old bumper?

It seems enough “tech” is inoperable so it’s putting you in limp mode. Curious also of how the winch was wired in. If not done right it messes up the intelligent battery monitoring system.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Sorry to hear that is happening.

Try not to panic - extra anxiety never helps. Hopefully, between Ford and the offroad shop, they’ll get it worked out.
Sponsored