2019 XLT 4x4 sputtering at low rpms

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Got 58k miles on my 2019 ranger (60k) warranty. It has just started sputtering at around 1500 rpms. It feels like it's starved for fuel. It has never done this until now. It especially does it when accelerating at low speeds. Has anyone else had or currently has this problem? If so what are my best options? The check engine light is not on. I really like this truck and have had zero incidents up to this point. Any help is appreciated thanks
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Got 58k miles on my 2019 ranger (60k) warranty. It has just started sputtering at around 1500 rpms. It feels like it's starved for fuel. It has never done this until now. It especially does it when accelerating at low speeds. Has anyone else had or currently has this problem? If so what are my best options? The check engine light is not on. I really like this truck and have had zero incidents up to this point. Any help is appreciated thanks
That sucks Ryan. I hope you get it resolved.

Seriously though, I bet that extended warranty‘s looking attractive right now.

Good luck.

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
You can try running a can of SeaFoam or Techron through the fuel system as an Inexpensive first shot at fixing. Maybe a dirty injector......or could be an injector going bad. If something was really broken/bad I'd think you would throw a code....a true misfire will.

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
first things first....bad fuel?

with others who have had ignition coil failures, injector failures and spark plug failures, that's likely where you will find your issue. maybe something to do with the intake system sensors...hows your air filter? got squirrels making a home in there??
question is, can your service shop find the more technical problems easily enough?
hope so, dont wait, times ticking.....
I've gotten fuel at the same station since I've had the truck with the exception of a few road trips (none recently). I let it get below a half a tank and filled with premium yesterday. This had no effect. It does seem like bad gas though in my opinion. At 50k miles I had a leveling kit installed and all terrain tires added. This is the only thing different about the truck from purchase. It didn't have these symptoms for the first 8k miles so I think that may be irrelevant. I thought about putting some seafoam etc. But I think I should try to bring it in first. The truck has always idled high on startup but I never noticed anything like this before. I appreciate all input!

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I would take it in the dealership pronto before running out that warranty. I’m not sure why it would manifest mostly at those RPMs but these modern turbo engines are hell on spark plugs. I’ve seen a few pics of ecoboost plugs that look well worn by 60k with huge gaps. Either way the dealership will be on the hook for diagnosing it since it’s under warranty.

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I would take it in the dealership pronto before running out that warranty. I’m not sure why it would manifest mostly at those RPMs but these modern turbo engines are hell on spark plugs. I’ve seen a few pics of ecoboost plugs that look well worn by 60k with huge gaps. Either way the dealership will be on the hook for diagnosing it since it’s under warranty.
Thanks! I will definitely get it in before 60k.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Some may disagree with this, but if the dealer tries to sell you a induction cleaning service I'd go for it if I were you and ask if they're using BG products.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Some may disagree with this, but if the dealer tries to sell you a induction cleaning service I'd go for it if I were you and ask if they're using BG products.
What’s induction cleaning? Why are some people against it?

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
What’s induction cleaning? Why are some people against it?
Some may think it's just another upsell thing from the dealer but professionally speaking this is a very needed service for what Doug was saying. Especially our trucks.
Maintenance is key and you just can't keep driving without basic service needs.
Aren't the spark plugs 60K? I forget.
And the 60K factory warranty is the powertrain (engine internals, transmission, rear axle, ect).

OP
OP

Buckmaster404

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I hope it is the spark plugs. This is my first turbo engine. I had over 150k miles on both previous f-150's and never changed nothing but oil tires and battery. Thanks for all the responses. I can't bring it in until next week. I will update after.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I hope it is the spark plugs. This is my first turbo engine. I had over 150k miles on both previous f-150's and never changed nothing but oil tires and battery. Thanks for all the responses. I can't bring it in until next week. I will update after.
Mine's about to turn 70K and I've noticed hesitancy while crawling up hill very close to home when I'm driving around 20mph...I chalk it up to D being in too high of gear for grade...step on it a little to force it down a gear or using S mode solves the issue...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I was curious so I checked the maintenance schedule - normal plug replacement is scheduled for 100,000 miles unless you are towing a trailer or using a car top carrier (that seems like kind of an odd statement for a truck). If you are towing then it is 60,000 miles.

I saw no listing for replacing the fuel filter interestingly enough.

I will be interested to hear what the resolution to this is.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Keep us posted!
Sponsored