First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
It should get a little better in the summer. I'm rolling on slight larger/heavier tires and I'm able to pull off 20mpg pretty consistently this winter. Was closer to 23mpg this past fall.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Deleted member 1634

Just completed a 280 mile round trip. My truck now has 1200 miles on it. The trip was 90% freeway averaging 72-77mph and since I’m in Michigan mostly flat.
My mileage was 20.5......hoping it gets just a bit better.
I've found that's pretty usual for freeway speeds in the winter. I got about the same in Lower Michigan on I-75 earlier this week. In the summer I usually get around 22-23mpg on the freeway. I've maxed out at 28mpg on a couple tanks on the highway (~60mph) in the summer on similar terrain. So I would expect you could get about the same once summer comes around again.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Does MPG really mean anything? Why they don't make it a check-engine light when the ECU detects something really bad with MPG's?
As I mentioned before, trying to compare is fruitless. Put gas in and drive it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Does MPG really mean anything? Why they don't make it a check-engine light when the ECU detects something really bad with MPG's?
Some of us are just more OCD than others. :crazy:

Deleted member 1634

Some of us are just more OCD than others. :crazy:
I'm in the OCD camp as well though.

And some of us just like gathering and looking at data too. As an engineer, I love gathering, analyzing, and finding trends in data (Excel is my favorite program). Taking out variables and trying to figure which has the most affect. Honestly one of my favorite things to do. Same reason why I have a weather station at home. Looking at the data doesn't change anything, I'm just interested in seeing what it does.

Also, for some us, we do use the mileage data to change our behavior. Personally, I have a goal of getting 500miles (I was close once but had to bow out early due to gas station locations) and possibly even 30mpg on tank. You can't do that unless you understand what is affecting your mileage, and you can't know unless you gather the data.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm in the OCD camp as well though.

And some of us just like gathering and looking at data too. As an engineer, I love gathering, analyzing, and finding trends in data (Excel is my favorite program). Taking out variables and trying to figure which has the most affect. Honestly one of my favorite things to do. Same reason why I have a weather station at home. Looking at the data doesn't change anything, I'm just interested in seeing what it does.

Also, for some us, we do use the mileage data to change our behavior. Personally, I have a goal of getting 500miles (I was close once but had to bow out early due to gas station locations) and possibly even 30mpg on tank. You can't do that unless you understand what is affecting your mileage, and you can't know unless you gather the data.
I use the Fuelly app for my truck and run a spread sheet for all my household expenses. I don;t drive a lot because everything I need is really close by so I'm not as anal with my truck data as I am with my household data. I've been close to getting 500 miles but I usually fill up around 480 because I don't like running the tank to low.

I bought my house out here in AZ while I was still living back in MA and ran a few estimates on what it would cost if I moved. After 3 years of doing this I made the move and my estimates were a little off,I was actually saving a lot more by making the move. :) So I was able to semi-retire and never sacrificed a thing,I like to look back at each year at the spreadsheets and see how it compares. Some people have no idea where their money goes and for the few minutes a day that it takes to log it in you get a real good idea where you're monies going.

Deleted member 1634

I use the Fuelly app for my truck and run a spread sheet for all my household expenses. I don;t drive a lot because everything I need is really close by so I'm not as anal with my truck data as I am with my household data. I've been close to getting 500 miles but I usually fill up around 480 because I don't like running the tank to low.

I bought my house out here in AZ while I was still living back in MA and ran a few estimates on what it would cost if I moved. After 3 years of doing this I made the move and my estimates were a little off,I was actually saving a lot more by making the move. :) So I was able to semi-retire and never sacrificed a thing,I like to look back at each year at the spreadsheets and see how it compares. Some people have no idea where their money goes and for the few minutes a day that it takes to log it in you get a real good idea where you're monies going.
Same! As far as Fuelly and expenses spreadsheets goes. The whole moving to AZ thing is little different between us though. haha

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Fueled up for the second tank today...367 miles and 21.90. Computer said 22.8.

Tank one was 22.03 so very close. It was colder and a few shorter trips on tank 2. I'm over 700 miles now. Rounds out to 22 for the first 715 miles with computer error about 1mpg..

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I am just a little disappointed in the mileage, even though it is better around town than my wife's F-150, so is my '96 4.0 V6 5spd Ranger. I went back and checked...I am actually getting around the same mileage with both Rangers. Figured with 23yrs of technology, it would be better.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my Ranger. I have gained alot with it over the old Ranger. Just MPG is not one of them.

I am not an engineer but I do like data and seeing its affects and how to improve. Excel is my friend. Tendencies and trends can help you identify a problem.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The new ranger manages the same mpg while putting out more power moving around a significantly heavier truck and spewing a lot less pollution. The only way to significantly increase the mpg would be to cut the power to a level that wouldn't sell in this market.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The new ranger manages the same mpg while putting out more power moving around a significantly heavier truck and spewing a lot less pollution. The only way to significantly increase the mpg would be to cut the power to a level that wouldn't sell in this market.
Any truck that exceeds 20 mpg is great in my book !
Regards

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Regards
Trucks from 1985 were doing better than 20mpg!

Why do the auto makers feel the need to take innovative engines that are way better in efficiency and then load them back down with bigger chassis and body just to get the MPG's of 1985? Ranger and Tacoma are no longer small pup's, they are mid-sized. There's a whole huge market for say a 2.0 or 2.3L ecoboost in a B2000 sized truck !!

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Regards
All my F150's got around 15 MPG so I'm happy with the Ranger. As much as I like to keep track of everything (data) I don't really care all that much about mpg's as I don't put a lot of miles on per year. Those who have a longer commute I can see why they would. Beside I care more about smiles per gallon not miles per gallon. :D

Deleted member 1634

Trucks from 1985 were doing better than 20mpg!

Why do the auto makers feel the need to take innovative engines that are way better in efficiency and then load them back down with bigger chassis and body just to get the MPG's of 1985? Ranger and Tacoma are no longer small pup's, they are mid-sized. There's a whole huge market for say a 2.0 or 2.3L ecoboost in a B2000 sized truck !!
Safety regulations are one of the main reasons for the sizes of vehicles nowadays. In order to meet all the safety requirements with airbags and crumple zones all over, the vehicle just has to be bigger to fit it all and still meet the other public constraints like towing, power, payload, and all that.

Also, I'd have to imagine that even though the mpg may be the same between a truck now and a truck from 1985, the emissions leaving the tailpipe are less harmful to the environment. That's also a big deal.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
All my F150's got around 15 MPG so I'm happy with the Ranger. As much as I like to keep track of everything (data) I don't really care all that much about mpg's as I don't put a lot of miles on per year. Those who have a longer commute I can see why they would. Beside I care more about smiles per gallon not miles per gallon. :D
Yup, my V/6 Sierra gets 16 to 18..
Regards
Sponsored