2019 Ford Ranger Reviews Compilation

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Work truck review: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-ford-ranger-makes-270-hp-310-lb-ft-torque

The Ranger takes a beating on interior cheapness and "refinement." Quite a theme of harsh criticisms for Ford's interiors across the board, as far as Ranger, new Explorer, Mustang, etc.
I looked at the link and didn't find the criticisms you describe.
I ordered my STX partially to get the upgraded upholstery. To my surprise the base upholstery was both durable and attractive. in fact it rivals the other Ranger trim levels in my estimation.Maybe even the best of the lot.
Certainly the best base upholstery among all light truck offerings.
What's really impressive is that Ford was able to offer tasteful and durable interiors across the entire Ranger line.

I like the Ranger interiors and I guess the best review is still written on a check.
Sponsored

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Sorry wrong link..updated.

Hop in the Ranger XL, though, and the Gladiator suddenly seems lavish. Its interior is an expanse of chintzy hard plastic, devoid of niceties to make it feel anywhere beyond basic. The molded plastic steering wheel reminds you of the car's cheapness every time you touch it, which is frequently. A low-resolution infotainment display about the size of a credit card completes the low-end feel.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Work truck review: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...gladiator-sport-work-truck-comparison-review/

The Ranger takes a beating on interior cheapness and "refinement." Quite a theme of harsh criticisms for Ford's interiors across the board, as far as Ranger, new Explorer, Mustang, etc.

Updated link.
That review is a joke who would select the gladiator as a work truck..
Work trucks are cheap but durable. Gladiator is not cheap.

As far as the interior goes. They say the back seats are cramped on the Ranger. For a mid sized the only truck with more room is the Colorado. Back seats are the main reason I am looking at the Ranger.

In my opinion the front seats on the Ranger are the most comfortable in the group.

As far as interior look to me it is ok. I like the Tacoma interior look the most but the functionality of the Colorado most.

I do not like the small buttons in the Ranger because up here it is cold and we wear gloves and those small button would be a pain.

"The body roll can make you sick as it wallows down the road."
I keep hearing this but did not feel it test driving it. I need to take it for a longer ride. If I feel this it I will not buy the Ranger.
My granddaughter gets car sick really easy. She is the main reason we are getting a new vehicle. She is getting to big for my extended cab.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry wrong link..updated.
AHH! now I see,
It is fair to say that everyone has a right to his opinion, o_Obut the writer of this review is just plain wrong.
Perhaps it is bias? or is he just not qualified to write a proper review?
I have pretty much that exact truck. I have it on purpose.
I bought it for build quality, style, performance, value and Ford's reputation for reliability.
The Ranger in fact excels on all counts.
I read reviews for entertainment and information, even bad reviews can be both.;)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That review is a joke who would select the gladiator as a work truck..
Work trucks are cheap but durable. Gladiator is not cheap.

As far as the interior goes. They say the back seats are cramped on the Ranger. For a mid sized the only truck with more room is the Colorado. Back seats are the main reason I am looking at the Ranger.

In my opinion the front seats on the Ranger are the most comfortable in the group.

As far as interior look to me it is ok. I like the Tacoma interior look the most but the functionality of the Colorado most.

I do not like the small buttons in the Ranger because up here it is cold and we wear gloves and those small button would be a pain.

I keep hearing this but did not feel it test driving it. I need to take it for a longer ride. If I feel this it I will not buy the Ranger.
My granddaughter gets car sick really easy. She is the main reason we are getting a new vehicle. She is getting to big for my extended cab.
The Ranger is both stable and responsive. It is predictable solid, quiet and comfortable over long distances, even when towing.

It is not as tossable as my old Ranger but it has an extra foot of wheelbase along with electronic ride and handling controls.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately people watch reviews when anticipating a purchase, and they do influence those who have limited knowledge of the prospective subject.
So... what you're saying is... Toyota paid him a buttload of money to shit on the Ranger? :bandit:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Well when you consider the source, MotorTrend, it makes more sense. They always bash Ford no matter what the other vehicle in the comparison is. :headbang:

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well when you consider the source, MotorTrend, it makes more sense. They always bash Ford no matter what the other vehicle in the comparison is. :headbang:
Motor trend is the worst they nearly always crucify Ford products

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
2500 mile review

It depends on what you want. For me the Ranger allows confident access to rugged parts of my property that I would not have considered taking my old Colorado. That alone makes me glad i bought it over the F-150 or a new Colorado when replacing the 2015 Colorado.

My old Colorado beat my new Ranger upside down and backwards on various ride quality components that are meaningful to my body and my perception. Adding aftermarket shocks new wheels and tires on the Ranger has allowed me to reach the Colorado WT ride quality. Took off my sport 17" and replaced them with the OEM 16" with a 265 75 16 AT tire. The Colorado SQ, (Bose or not) was horrible. Not having to upgrade the Ranger sound system for my preferred minimal level of SQ is a big positive for me.

I do not mind Ranger sans tailgate damper, but I do miss the corner step on the Colorado to climb into the bed; scoff if you like, it reduces the functionality of the Ranger compared to the Colorado to a noteworthy degree. The Ranger brake pedal travel and other related constant lack of refinement is a disappointment. One of my front rotors has a spot that grabs; just another build quality component that I have experienced. Did I mention the 3" paint sag on the driver side rear cab? Dealer: "its a truck not a show vehicle". I actually kept my cool: Welcome to the modern Ford Motor Company.

I rolled the dice with initial next gen Colorado in 2015 and was well rewarded with outstanding build quality and a well integrated vehicle. I felt like the odds were in my favor on the 2019 Ranger after all this is now a competitive market sector again thanks to the success of the Chevrolet Colorado and the GMC Canyon. Unfortunately the Ranger did not rise up to the level of the challenge it is not a bad truck remember I prefer it to my 2015 Colorado for purposes that are important to me, but Ford did go after the low hanging fruit to a certain extent in my opinion; the spec fruit, at the cost of what could have been better integration and higher quality production.

The tech on the Ranger has also been a pleasant surprise. The adaptive cruise, the automatic adjusting high beams, cross traffic alert, and blind spot monitoring are all very nice additions. The tranny does not bug me seems just fine.

I like the engine. Increasing the tire height to 31.6" and then re-calibrating the odometer did not give me a major hit to gas mileage. I did 80/20 highway to city using premium and driving at 5 under speed limits today and got 25.4 mpg. I am expecting 21 combined for routine driving that would not bad for a 1.5" lift with a 1.3" sidewall increase without any other modification other than tire height.

My truck listed at 38,200 yet i did well on my trade in, caught a rebate, and executed the X-Plan thanks to this board!!! Otherwise I would be even more critical about price. I think my last calculation had me thinking MSRP is about 16% higher than it deserves to be. Then again I would apply similar calculations to the competition.

Glad to have the Grey Manalishi parked out front and she did some good work for me out at the place today, which is what i bought her for.

I have owned the 2015 Colorado and loved it and my wife currently owns a 2017 Canyon I prefer the Ranger. I have not been a fan boy of the vehicle. If the body options work for you give the Ranger a serious look.

Last edited:

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Did I mention the 3" paint sag on the driver side rear cab? Dealer: "its a truck not a show vehicle". I actually kept my cool: Welcome to the modern Ford Motor Company.
Unfortunately that's the dealer and not Ford. Fortunately I have a great dealer and when ever I have a problem my dealer gets it fixed. He got my wifes 2015 Edge replaced it had the water leak.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger brake pedal travel
I agree with this the travel is a lot longer than it should be it has got me using both feet to drive. I do love my Ranger though

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My new Ranger listed for just over $28000, It beat the Colorado right side up and forward in every measurable parameter.
Also it beat the Colorado upside down and backwards in every subjective parameter.
While the Ranger is versatile, I bought it to do traditional truck things, not for car things, or jeep things.
The ride quality is excellent,and this may be the first vehicle I have bought which requires no chassis modification.

The Colorado may well be the second best choice at the high end, but it is sorta pathetic at entry level.
The Ranger on the other hand is excellent across all trim levels, giving the entry level buyer a choice which is not based on price alone, but on the custom style and feature levels desired by the buyer.

After 6 months of Flawless fit, finish and performance, I have not once wished I had bought any other trim level.
From a base Ranger XL all the way to the Lariat FX4... Ranger produces the best quality and content to satisfy every buyer.
There is no sense of punishment for buying a lower priced truck, only a sense of value at every trim level.

The reviewers never say much about or compare entry level midsized trucks.
They almost never compare 2WD trucks.
At the highest trim and feature levels, the differences are much narrower than at the bottom.
The base truck of each make speaks volumes about about the value of what's under all the frills, and proves that the Ranger has no peers.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My new Ranger listed for just over $28000, It beat the Colorado right side up and forward in every measurable parameter.
Also it beat the Colorado upside down and backwards in every subjective parameter.
While the Ranger is versatile, I bought it to do traditional truck things, not for car things, or jeep things.
The ride quality is excellent,and this may be the first vehicle I have bought which requires no chassis modification.

The Colorado may well be the second best choice at the high end, but it is sorta pathetic at entry level.
The Ranger on the other hand is excellent across all trim levels, giving the entry level buyer a choice which is not based on price alone, but on the custom style and feature levels desired by the buyer.

After 6 months of Flawless fit, finish and performance, I have not once wished I had bought any other trim level.
From a base Ranger XL all the way to the Lariat FX4... Ranger produces the best quality and content to satisfy every buyer.
There is no sense of punishment for buying a lower priced truck, only a sense of value at every trim level.

The reviewers never say much about or compare entry level midsized trucks.
They almost never compare 2WD trucks.
At the highest trim and feature levels, the differences are much narrower than at the bottom, but the base truck of each make speaks volumes about about the value of what's under all the frills.
Very well said! I like that Ford used the same motor for all trim levels but left it up to the customer how which extra feature they prefer. Not everyone cares about all the fancy tech stuff,Fx4 package or leather but you still get a truck that has the exact powertrain as everyone else. There are a lot of members here who have builds with the base models that look great!

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Floyd.

Have you owned any trim level Colorado? Nope!

Have you ever even owned a truck prior to the Ranger?

Are you critical of any anything about the Ranger? Because this truck although a good truck is not the end all and be all of mid size trucks. There will be better. The Ranger has raised the bar a little, but much less than I expected. I have owned two Rangers across a couple of decades my first Ranger was my first new vehicle. Quite frankly I would like to see Ford improve this truck far beyond any competition.

People may want to use this thread to really think about a potential purchase, a confirmation bias fan boy diatribe provides them little value.
Sponsored