12v port / cell phone charging

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I have looked and cannot find a post regarding this.

My cell phone will not charge when plugged in to the 12v ports. I have tried multiple cords and adapters with the same results. The phone sees a charge but never charges as though the power is too low.

Anyone seen this issue? Fixes? It is quite annoying.
Sponsored

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Have you tried a different phone?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
The two 12V power points are rated @ 15A (180W), so they're certainly capable of charging your phone. Unlike the USB ports, my old Moto adapter seemed to do a fine job on my beater phone (which I think is Qualcomm QC 2). And that was with the ignition off (once I cycled it anyway).

edit: Forgot to mention that I doubt they work well on cigars and am confused by the reference in the owners manual.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The two 12V power points are rated @ 15A (180W), so they're certainly capable of charging your phone. Unlike the USB ports, my old Moto adapter seemed to do a fine job on my beater phone (which I think is Qualcomm QC 2). And that was with the ignition off (once I cycled it anyway).

edit: Forgot to mention that I doubt they work well on cigars and am confused by the reference in the owners manual.
There are two terms that get confused. Cigar Lighter an Powerpoint. Cigar lighters can be used as powerpoints, but power points cannot be used as cigar lighters... Or so it was at one time. Never are they referred to as Cigarette Lighters...

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
There are two terms that get confused. Cigar Lighter an Powerpoint. Cigar lighters can be used as powerpoints, but power points cannot be used as cigar lighters... Or so it was at one time. Never are they referred to as Cigarette Lighters...
So maybe another bad owners manual copy/paste, unless I missed that there's an optional ashtray/lighter for the truck. From pg. 129, which is titled 12 Volt DC Power Point. WARNING: Do not plug optional electrical accessories into the cigar lighter socket. Incorrect use of the cigar lighter can cause damage not covered by the vehicle warranty, and can result in fire or serious injury.
Sponsored