OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Some fitting and weight testing with some time I had this evening. The cargo basket is temporary until I build the top rail. Still able to to fit my little garage-zeebo with about 1" to spare.

I think I am sort of sold on the swivel leveling feet I got to try. I think one more pair back towards the bed and it will be where it needs to. I need to go to a level parking lot and adjust them.

I will say what ever "flop" the front has is basically negated with a little bit of weight, like this roof rack. I would basically have to be flying over railroad tracks for the leveling feet to lose contact with the gutters.

IMG-2907.jpg

IMG-2908.jpg

IMG-2911.jpg

IMG-2906.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it's coming along quite nicely!
Im still debating what finish to go with. Reading around, line-x may be over kill. I might go with a straight black enamel with a proper prep job.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im still debating what finish to go with. Reading around, line-x may be over kill. I might go with a straight black enamel with a proper prep job.
Hi Jack,

When I was designing, fabricating and welding my front gate I bought the industrial coating recommended by my steel supplier, Santa Rita Steel. Sumpter Industrial coatings.

Amazing relative to other metal work with Rustoleum.

sumpter.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Today is the day. Well, at least the base frame work will be coated then installed.

Went with self etching primer and professional grade enamel. Hit it with a wire brush and 220 sandpaper. Wiped down with booze to get any left over residue and grease.

giphy.gif

Now I am debating if I want to go with a single 42" light bar on the front or go classic with four round lights.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Today is the day. Well, at least the base frame work will be coated then installed.

Went with self etching primer and professional grade enamel. Hit it with a wire brush and 220 sandpaper. Wiped down with booze to get any left over residue and grease.

giphy.gif

Now I am debating if I want to go with a single 42" light bar on the front or go classic with four round lights.
The classic round lights are just...

...so damn classic!!!

But a single light bar would be loads easier to wire up. That's a tough one man!

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Either is fine by me. I usually wire multiple lights within close proximity of each other with waterproof automotive 2-pin connectors and then from each 2 pin connector wire them into one harness that ends in one positive and ground lead out. That way if I need to swap lights out for whatever reason just plug and play. This is if they are going to all operate on a single switch.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Got it squared and tightened down. Hit a few "woops" holes with black rubber plugs & black adhesive sealant. Threw the basket back on temporary again. I actually have a new idea come up to "hide" the feet a good bit and add some flare. I'll post a sketch up in a bit.

This weekend I'm looking to do some more work on it. That and I broke down and ordered four round aux lights to run on the front (though depending on their size it might end up being six total).

The bottom pic you can see how much wider the platform will be than the basket which is 40" wide.

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Got it squared and tightened down. Hit a few "woops" holes with black rubber plugs & black adhesive sealant. Threw the basket back on temporal again. I actually have a new idea come up to "hide" the feet a good bit and add some flare. I'll post a sketch up in a bit.

This weekend I'm looking to do some more work on it. That and I broke down and ordered four round aux lights to run on the front (though depending on their size it might end up being six total).

The bottom pic you can see how much wider the platform will be than the basket which is 40" wide.

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG
Hell yes, that is looking good! It's going to look even better with four big, round, classic lights up front. I like it!

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Got it squared and tightened down. Hit a few "woops" holes with black rubber plugs & black adhesive sealant. Threw the basket back on temporal again. I actually have a new idea come up to "hide" the feet a good bit and add some flare. I'll post a sketch up in a bit.

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG
Jack, i wish you were my neighbor, damn you are always thinking and one step ahead. That build is looking awesome.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm an old school guy... but on a new Ranger... I'd go with the 42" light bar.