John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Just checking out who else has the 4x2 Ranger and show our love. I was trading in my '16 Jeep Wrangler (manual) for a new truck so I started looking at the 4x4 - liked the FX4 package I test drove. Started the negotiations process - FX4 was going to be my Jeep + $5800 - the 4x4 sport 302A was Jeep + $5000. My bride and I really didn't want to part with a whole lot of cash. I was about to call it quits when I talked to my uncle, who owns a timber farm, about his F150 who said he went 4x2 and has only gotten it stuck twice. I had not thought about it and then realized that while I had shifted into 4 wheel mode in the jeep I never did anything that actually needed it. So I called the dealer and asked him how much for the Oxford white, 4x2, 302A, trailer and locking rear diff (this is something my uncle wishes he had). He said Jeep and $1500 and the rest is history.

There maybe somethings I won't be able to do - but I also live in Atlanta so when it snows here we all try and just say home.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just checking out who else has the 4x2 Ranger and show our love. I was trading in my '16 Jeep Wrangler (manual) for a new truck so I started looking at the 4x4 - liked the FX4 package I test drove. Started the negotiations process - FX4 was going to be my Jeep + $5800 - the 4x4 sport 302A was Jeep + $5000. My bride and I really didn't want to part with a whole lot of cash. I was about to call it quits when I talked to my uncle, who owns a timber farm, about his F150 who said he went 4x2 and has only gotten it stuck twice. I had not thought about it and then realized that while I had shifted into 4 wheel mode in the jeep I never did anything that actually needed it. So I called the dealer and asked him how much for the Oxford white, 4x2, 302A, trailer and locking rear diff (this is something my uncle wishes he had). He said Jeep and $1500 and the rest is history.

There maybe somethings I won't be able to do - but I also live in Atlanta so when it snows here we all try and just say home.
Hi John,

Only reason I went with a 4x4 was to be able to tow it behind the motorhome which you cannot do with the 4x2 unless you add a transmission pump, which is problematic and likely voids the transmission warranty...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Another 2WD drive. I wouldn't use the 4x4 for any of my driving around here. Just extra maintenance extra insurance something I'll never use. if We get a dusting of snow here like a half an inch everything closes.

Here's our snow plow

mb plow.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

I was going to get 4x2, as it suited me fine for the previous 16 years. But the dealership made it worth my while to instead get a 4x4 that had been on the lot for a while. I will almost never use the 4wd, but I'm sure I'll appreciate having it when I do use it.

en13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 2WD
Vehicle Showcase
4x2 for me as well. I already have a 4x4 SUV and use that if I need any more off road capability than the 2wd can handle. There might be 2 or 3 weekends in the coming years I wish I had 4wd on the truck, but not enough to justify the extra expense. I'd rather spend that 4k (the difference in price for the trucks I considered) on a beach vacation. I also commute 60 miles a day.. the extra few mpg will add up over the coming years.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
4X2 here as well down in FLA. I've had 4x4's in the past while living in a climate where you could get snow/ice and rarely if ever, really needed it. I've also drive 4x2's in snow and they went just fine, as long as you realize the limitations.

Hannah

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 ranger
I did not want or need a 4x4, I found a nice supercab 2 wheel drive that works for me just fine. For me 4x4 just means extra cost at purchase , extra maintenance and more stuff to go wrong.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had no need for 4x4, the 4x2 with locking diff is all I'll ever need.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Nice thread!
I'll bet there are those who don't even know there is a 2WD Ranger, especially if they only read the reviews or watched the commercials(or lived in Canada)

I have a Saber 2WD STX SuperCab. with the Tow Package. All around my very best choice.
Like my last two Rangers, it is the fastest and strongest Ranger available.

Unlike those who need 4WD for all those adventures shown in the commercials,.
or the four conventional doors for hauling the kids everyday, while still having a vestigial box to carry their stuff ..
I needed the 2WD, the SuperCab, and the 6ft box.

The 2WD for superior towing and on pavement drivability.
The SuperCab for the 2+2 styling and the ease of everyday rear seat access,
The 6ft box for all the light hauling I do. (especially bicycles)

This is my first long term SuperCab, and although I must tolerate the long wheelbase,
Ford did engineer a tight steering radius and I like the ability to recline the front seats.
On the regular cabs I had reclining seats with no place to recline.

Overall this truck fits my everyday life pretty well.
I am glad for the option to have the three essential things listed above on my 2019 Ranger
Without these I would still be driving its 18YO predecessor.

OH! And I am also glad to have enough savings in price alone to get my first 100,000 miles of gasoline for FREE!

Still looking for reviews or commercials featuring a 2WD Ranger, or an Xl series, or even a fair review extolling the advantages of the Supercab instead of just throwing ignorant insults.

Last edited:

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I have literally no need for a 4x4 or FX4 where I live, so a 4x2 it was :)

I can't offroad here afaik, we don't have steep mountainous terrain, I don't work or drive on farmland etc. All my Ranger sees is paved roads (although that by itself seems to be needing a 4x4 at times, with all the potholes lol).

Had I lived on the mainland, I'd probably want a 4x4 or FX4, so I could take it offroad some time, even more so if I'd live in an area with lots of rain or snow, but alas, we don't get any of that and I'm happy with my 4x2 :)

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Another 2WD drive. I wouldn't use the 4x4 for any of my driving around here. Just extra maintenance extra insurance something I'll never use. if We get a dusting of snow here like a half an inch everything closes.

Here's our snow plow

mb plow.jpg
What was that thing?... A truncated VW Rabbit, or maybe an old Ford Fiesta? actually pretty good bodywork!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Back in NJ 1.5 years ago, I'd buy a 4x4. Here in SC, a 4x2 works for me.
Sponsored