UPDATED: 2019 Ranger gets 270 HP/310 LB-FT, class leading towing and payload rating!

Stumblios

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger FX4 LVL II
UPDATED WITH FORD OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE:

ALL-NEW FORD RANGER IS ADVENTURE-READY WITH BEST-IN-CLASS PAYLOAD, GAS ENGINE TORQUE AND TOWING CAPABILITY

1538743418107.jpg

• With best-in-class 1,860 pounds of maximum payload, the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger can carry serious gear
  • Ranger’s proven 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine beats the V6 gasoline engines from midsize truck competitors to deliver best-in-class 310 lb.-ft. of torque while towing and climbing trails
  • Best-in-class gasoline engine towing capability of 7,500 pounds with available tow package beats V6-powered competitors to make the all-new Ford Ranger the champ for getting campers to their sites and boats to the slip
DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 5, 2018 – It’s almost here. As the 2019 Built Ford Tough Ranger nears production, Ford announces its all-new midsize pickup for North America will deliver best-in-class payload, gas torque and towing capability.

“Think of Ranger as the biggest and most capable backpack for your gear,” says Rick Bolt, Ford Ranger chief engineer. “With 1,860 pounds of maximum payload, Ranger can haul nearly a ton of gear to enable your next adventure.”

The 2019 Ford Ranger’s standard 2.3-liter EcoBoost® produces 270 horsepower and, more importantly, 310 lb.-ft. of torque – the most engine-turning power of any gas engine in the midsize pickup segment, including V6 engines from competitors.

Paired with a class-exclusive 10-speed transmission, Ranger features a unique combination of power and capability that only comes from a truck that’s Built Ford Tough.

Anchored by a high-strength steel frame and robust solid rear axle with Hotchkiss suspension, Ranger can conventionally tow more than any gas engine truck in its class – 7,500 pounds when equipped with the tow package and a trailer brake controller.

Production begins later this year at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Michigan.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...dventure-ready-with-best-in-class-payloa.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranger 2.3L Ecoboost (2WD extended cab)
Max payload - 1,860 lbs
Max towing - 7,500 lbs
GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) - 6,050 lbs
GCW (gross combined weight - truck + trailer)- 12,500

Compared to:

Tacoma

Max payload - 1,620 lbs
Max towing - 6,800 lbs

Colorado
Max payload - 1,566 lbs
Max towing - 7,000 lbs
Max towing (diesel) - 7,700 lbs
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Wow SWEEET! Being able to tow 500-700 pounds over the Colorado and Tacoma is damn impressive!

JYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner
Wow SWEEET! Being able to tow 500-700 pounds over the Colorado and Tacoma is damn impressive!
Yea even just from a bragging standpoint :) That's much more towing than I'll ever need or use but great to know it's been engineered tough to be able to handle that much. Overengineering for such high capacities still benefits those of us who won't hit the max, in terms of reliability.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Ford has just made it official (check first post for the press release). The max payload is actually 1,860 pounds (not 1840) while the towing capability of 7,500 pounds was correctly reported.

Also, the 2019 Ford Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost will have 270 HORSEPOWER and best-in-class 310 LB-FT of TORQUE!

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I am updating my spreadsheet. I have also been adding in more data points so I am collecting that data.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Finally some stats, yes! And good ones at that!! Glad my orders in as I believe this info will increase orders.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I'm pretty confident that similarity optioned Crew Cab 4x4's will be fairly close with payload between the competition as that will be majority of sales.

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500/2013 F-150/2017 Mustang GT
OK, so it has "class leading" stats. Unfortunately this class hasn't been known for real performance...accelaration, sporty handling, etc.
Will the 270 hp 4cyl engine in a 4000lb truck exhibt any real excitement? I might have been interested if a 300+ HP V6 were offered.
I'm sure the competion will up the ante and, in a year or two, Ford may have to offer bigger engines in order to stay competitive.
With FCA set to reintroduce the Dakota (or whatever name they choose to call it), you can bet they won't hold back on a performance version.
It will be wait and see for me, holding on to my 5.0L F-150.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
These are some great numbers. Now I'm curious to read the US press reviews of how it will drive and feel with these figures. On-paper numbers are only part of the equation after all.

And great move designating the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) to be at least 6000 lbs! Now it qualifies for business vehicle tax deduction, which no doubt will increase Ranger sales.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3, 2011 Hyundai Tucson, 1994 VW Corrado SLC
OK, so it has "class leading" stats. Unfortunately this class hasn't been known for real performance...accelaration, sporty handling, etc.
Will the 270 hp 4cyl engine in a 4000lb truck exhibt any real excitement? I might have been interested if a 300+ HP V6 were offered.
I'm sure the competion will up the ante and, in a year or two, Ford may have to offer bigger engines in order to stay competitive.
With FCA set to reintroduce the Dakota (or whatever name they choose to call it), you can bet they won't hold back on a performance version.
It will be wait and see for me, holding on to my 5.0L F-150.
I think you have realize that this isn't just a 4-cyl with some power. What you feel when you hit the accelerator is torque, not HP. That's part of why Ford highlighted the torque. Now, importantly, how does the truck deliver that torque. If it's like most modern 4-cyl DI engines, you have really fat midrange torque, which is where most people drive, most of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if you felt that the new ranger felt as quick or quicker than your f150. Until, that is, you get past 5500 rpms, where most of these engines start to lose steam---and the 5.0 in your truck should keep pulling.

It will be interesting to see how this engine, in this product, using the 10-spd transmission feels like from behind the wheel. I'm not all that enthused by a turbo 4 when the competition all has a v6, but those v6 engines aren't exactly powerhouses either.

Also, what's the reference to the Hotchkiss suspension at the end of the article refer to?

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
I think you have realize that this isn't just a 4-cyl with some power. What you feel when you hit the accelerator is torque, not HP. That's part of why Ford highlighted the torque. Now, importantly, how does the truck deliver that torque. If it's like most modern 4-cyl DI engines, you have really fat midrange torque, which is where most people drive, most of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if you felt that the new ranger felt as quick or quicker than your f150. Until, that is, you get past 5500 rpms, where most of these engines start to lose steam---and the 5.0 in your truck should keep pulling.

It will be interesting to see how this engine, in this product, using the 10-spd transmission feels like from behind the wheel. I'm not all that enthused by a turbo 4 when the competition all has a v6, but those v6 engines aren't exactly powerhouses either.
Great points. Eagerly waiting to see the dyno curves on the Ecoboost application in the Ranger. Those haven't been posted yet have they?