2019 Overland Ranger Project

nick_psomas

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey guys! I never post here and my buddy Rory reminded me that this forum exists lol. I figured a lot of you may get a kick out of the truck I did.

Started with a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with tech package and e-locker in Feb, and by April it was built for Overland Expo West and just recently finished some more updates and installed 35s.

Loving the truck so far, happy to see everyone else's builds.

LastShareCollage.png

fullsizeoutput_2e75.jpeg
Sponsored

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buel, Moto Guzzi, Z3, '19 Ranger xlt super cab blue
Occupation
Retired
Nice, are you running an extra battery for camping power, and if so are you getting some charge from the starter battery when on the move? I was given the idea that it was a no no on the ranger. Thanks

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
May have answered my own question, what may be needed is a DC to DC charger. Charge for the Battery rather than the Alt. Nice rig you got, I plan to go with a Alu-cab canopy unit.

OP
OP
nick_psomas

nick_psomas

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Nice, are you running an extra battery for camping power, and if so are you getting some charge from the starter battery when on the move? I was given the idea that it was a no no on the ranger. Thanks
Rich,

I have a GoalZero Yeti400 so I mainly use that as camping power. All the lights are LED so I can run those with virtually no draw on the battery.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Rich,

I have a GoalZero Yeti400 so I mainly use that as camping power. All the lights are LED so I can run those with virtually no draw on the battery.
I also use a Yeti 400 lithium and will be using a bolder briefcase when in camp. 12v outlet in the bed runs the fridge when driving.

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you both for your replies

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Why is it a no-no? Are you saying an extra battery will not charge, or the alternator won't/can't handle the draw?

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have been told that the '19 ranger and others it concerns power to the ECM . The normal dual battery switching is not a go for the new electrics. A DC to DC system draws from the main battery to charge the second rather than topping the battery and switching the alt to charge the second battery. Do search on a DC to Dc charge systems for a better explanation.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have been told that the '19 ranger and others it concerns power to the ECM . The normal dual battery switching is not a go for the new electrics. A DC to DC system draws from the main battery to charge the second rather than topping the battery and switching the alt to charge the second battery. Do search on a DC to Dc charge systems for a better explanation.
I have dual AGMs in my 4Runner and the smart solenoid charges the main before even connecting the aux. battery. I can't see how the draw would compromise the ECM. Maybe I'm missing something.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
the issue is that the ranger has a variable output alternator. it only puts out enough voltage to supply what is needed, where as a traditional alternator vehicle will put out 13.5+ volts any time the engine is running. a traditional smart solenoid turns on any time it gets over 13.2-ish volts, which for older vehicles is any time it is running and the battery is fully charged.

the Ranger's variable alternator will not typically put out high enough voltage to switch on a traditional solenoid type battery isolator, so your aux battery won't always get charged.

DC to DC chargers use a completely different technology and don't rely on a higher voltage to trigger a solenoid to connect the aux battery, so supposedly this is what's needed to charge an aux battery setup in the ranger.

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
the issue is that the ranger has a variable output alternator. it only puts out enough voltage to supply what is needed, where as a traditional alternator vehicle will put out 13.5+ volts any time the engine is running. a traditional smart solenoid turns on any time it gets over 13.2-ish volts, which for older vehicles is any time it is running and the battery is fully charged.

the Ranger's variable alternator will not typically put out high enough voltage to switch on a traditional solenoid type battery isolator, so your aux battery won't always get charged.

DC to DC chargers use a completely different technology and don't rely on a higher voltage to trigger a solenoid to connect the aux battery, so supposedly this is what's needed to charge an aux battery setup in the ranger.
I knew I must be missing something. Thanks for the explanation.

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys! I never post here and my buddy Rory reminded me that this forum exists lol. I figured a lot of you may get a kick out of the truck I did.

Started with a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with tech package and e-locker in Feb, and by April it was built for Overland Expo West and just recently finished some more updates and installed 35s.

Loving the truck so far, happy to see everyone else's builds.

LastShareCollage.png

fullsizeoutput_2e75.jpeg
What bed rack is that ?

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm starting to get interested in overlanding. My understanding is most people overlanding for significant distances or lengths of time try to keep their electrical reasonably simple if possible. To that end am I right in assuming that you swapped the stock Ranger battery for a high capacity deep cycle battery for some added reliability running winch, air compressor, tools etc?

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to get interested in overlanding. My understanding is most people overlanding for significant distances or lengths of time try to keep their electrical reasonably simple if possible. To that end am I right in assuming that you swapped the stock Ranger battery for a high capacity deep cycle battery for some added reliability running winch, air compressor, tools etc?
I can't speak for the new Ranger's electrical capacity yet, my truck only has 800 miles on it and I haven't delved into alternate batteries, etc. yet and I am just starting my build. I CAN tell you that my '07 4Runner, which I overland in, has matched dual AGM batteries and a smart solenoid to handle the charging functions as well as other items. This gives me the ability to camp for days at a time, run my camp lights, and my camp fridge and still have a fresh battery to power the vehicle when it's time to move on. If you want to stay longer without running the main engine you could also install solar panels to charge the house battery, or even run a small camp generator. Isolating batteries is a must, in my opinion. I have my winch and off road lights connected to the main truck battery because I always have the engine running when using those accessories. My communications and other camp related items, as I said, are hooked to the 'house' battery. The system has never failed me. There is a lot of info on this subject in the overlanding forums. Good luck in overlanding, I think you will enjoy it immensely.
Sponsored