Manual transmission conversion.

Pacc

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
Does anyone know if the 7A195 transfer case will match up to a 6 speed manual mustang transmission (obviously would be pre‐ matched to a 2.3 turbo). The transfer case is mechanical so I suppose the most on that end other than an adapter plate, may have to change the t case input shaft.
I can figure out the clutch and accessories on my own, may need help with disconnecting the TCM and removing it from the main computer.
Ford for whatever reason has decided to not repond to my emails.
Any legit knowledge is appreciated!
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Here’s some legit knowledge, your fuel mileage will go down, between computer issues and getting a pedal assembly and linkage to work will be next to impossible. I’m sure there will be other issues. I’m a huge fan of manual transmissions but not in this truck

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s some legit knowledge, your fuel mileage will go down, between computer issues and getting a pedal assembly and linkage to work will be next to impossible. I’m sure there will be other issues. I’m a huge fan of manual transmissions but not in this truck
Agreed...this is an exercise in masochism...not worth doing on a brand new vehicle...better to get a salvage Ranger and strip the entire driveline out for this experiment...drop in a LS7 while you're at it:like:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the 7A195 transfer case will match up to a 6 speed manual mustang transmission (obviously would be pre‐ matched to a 2.3 turbo). The transfer case is mechanical so I suppose the most on that end other than an adapter plate, may have to change the t case input shaft.
I can figure out the clutch and accessories on my own, may need help with disconnecting the TCM and removing it from the main computer.
Hi Leonardo,

As a former Racecar driver and head of Ranger Vehicle Engineering in the day, I loved the manual transmission and made sure the pedal package allowed you to heal and toe the Ranger without any difficulty. I would have bought the 2019 with a stick as well, but not available. I could double clutch downshift my 2007 so smoothly my passengers thought it was an automatic.

That said....This 10 speed auto is a work of art and I do not recommend trying to convert to a stick. I am sure it can be done with enough time and money, but why?

If you so chose to pursue this...Best of luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

OP
OP

Pacc

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
I hear and understand all of you. Not worried about a drop in fuel economy, truck consistently gets 18.5 mpg (actual average)...... huge drop from the 23 I was getting in my ecodiesel. It shifts hard into reverse. Transmission hunts for gears for no reason at all... it is fun to drive, but the way it is performing, may as well have the function I want out of it. Maybe I just need to bring it in and let ford chase the gremlins...... expensive to do, sure. But I never met anyone that took their checkbook with em when they died.....
Mr. Schilke, sounds like it's time for you to come of retirement. DMP is obviously junk at HQ!!!

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
If the ranger came with a 6spd manual I would have chose that over the 10spd auto. You can do whatever you want to do with your own money. I for one hope you can do the conversion

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
The one single thing I'm going to miss about my Colorado is the manual transmission... but I really do love this 10 speed!

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Technically, I'm wayyyy out of my lane, but they make Rangers overseas with the 6MT...would it be a better idea to track down something from the maybe Philippines (same side of the road, good english)? There is a member here that is from the PI and might be able to point you to a good contact.

just a thought.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@mike probably has nailed the most “economical” way to get a manual in this truck. If you got the will, skills, and lots of dollar bills more power to you converting your US Ranger. But personally if I’m going to cut up a brand new vehicle I’m not stopping with just a manual trans swap:bandit:

r2t2k2

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to federal gov’t emissions refs and rules (Kali is even worse) you’re not going to see that happen. They’re real funny about the whole drivetrain. So if the vehicle in question didn’t come from Ford with a 6 speed, then you could be screwed. I had a L83/8L90 surgically implanted in my ‘18 JKU and I’m not looking forward to my first inspection. After the initial 5-6 years you gotta get tested/inspected. Idaho isn’t too bad yet, but get it time.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I hear and understand all of you. Not worried about a drop in fuel economy, truck consistently gets 18.5 mpg (actual average)...... huge drop from the 23 I was getting in my ecodiesel. It shifts hard into reverse. Transmission hunts for gears for no reason at all... it is fun to drive, but the way it is performing, may as well have the function I want out of it. Maybe I just need to bring it in and let ford chase the gremlins...... expensive to do, sure. But I never met anyone that took their checkbook with em when they died.....
Mr. Schilke, sounds like it's time for you to come of retirement. DMP is obviously junk at HQ!!!

This sounds like you need the TCM programming TSB completed. I explained to the dealer that my truck shifted like "a bucking bronco", they did the programming, and now it's smooth as butter.

I've had 7 manual transmission vehicles in the past, and I loved them all. I'd ((probably)) have gotten one in the ranger, and then I'd have regretted it because the 10speed is just phenomenal when programmed correctly.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Technically, I'm wayyyy out of my lane, but they make Rangers overseas with the 6MT...would it be a better idea to track down something from the maybe Philippines (same side of the road, good english)? There is a member here that is from the PI and might be able to point you to a good contact.

just a thought.
Clearly you've never tried importing anything newer than 25 years old... It's a nightmare. If you try, you might as well try and get a diesel while you're at it (I think that's basically all there is overseas).

No idea how it would work trying to get one in with the engine intact as none of the foreign engines are EPA certified (what a joke).
Sponsored