When should I have the transmission filter and fluid changed on my 2019 Lariat?

Old Red Replacement

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
At 2500 miles 70% towing after 1200 miles , the rear end was black with silver sheen , transfer case red, front diff slightly dark red., I put Amsoil recommended oils in.
Sponsored

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I would not go 150K either, but stop looking at the color. Ever since Ford switch to the LV line of fluids, the color changes very quickly. You'll be changing it with your oil if you use color.

RonG

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
I’ve look at maintenance schedule and it does not give a mileage point to change the transmission filter and fluid. When should this be done and what should I expect this to cost at a ford dealership? Thanks in advance for your advice.
at 25k I had mine serviced, but not by Ford, but from an independent shop. Ford was 3 weeks timeline to change the old oil was too much. I'm sending the invoice to Ford

gtyates

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Explorer, Sport Trac
Occupation
Manager
I just had mine done on my '19. I have 62k on mine. I also had the transfer case service done. Yes, I used my dealer. I have noticed a positive since the transmission service was done. My 3-4-5 shift is much smoother now. I had dealer reflash the PCM last year per a TSB, which helped with shifting, but the transmission service seems to have made a real difference in shift smoothness. I wonder if my transmission was a bit low on fluid from the factory, as I have read that others had this issue. Anyway, it seems to be a consensus, 120k is way too long for transmission fluid service. I had my Sport Trac done @50k and @100k, and it currently has nearly 140k miles and still running strong.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I just had mine done on my '19. I have 62k on mine. I also had the transfer case service done. Yes, I used my dealer. I have noticed a positive since the transmission service was done. My 3-4-5 shift is much smoother now. I had dealer reflash the PCM last year per a TSB, which helped with shifting, but the transmission service seems to have made a real difference in shift smoothness. I wonder if my transmission was a bit low on fluid from the factory, as I have read that others had this issue. Anyway, it seems to be a consensus, 120k is way too long for transmission fluid service. I had my Sport Trac done @50k and @100k, and it currently has nearly 140k miles and still running strong.
Greg, did that include changing the filter....or just replacing the trans fluid? About how much did they charge, if you don't mind sharing?

gtyates

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Explorer, Sport Trac
Occupation
Manager
Greg, did that include changing the filter....or just replacing the trans fluid? About how much did they charge, if you don't mind sharing?
I had a complete service done, so flush and filter included. I had several things done at this visit, but I believe it was around $350. Our transmission holds 12 quarts of fluid btw. To me this service is money well spent.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I had a complete service done, so flush and filter included. I had several things done at this visit, but I believe it was around $350. Our transmission holds 12 quarts of fluid btw. To me this service is money well spent.
I called the service advisor to ask a price to change my fluid and filter. Was told I would have to bring it in to get an estamate. Wtf?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I called the service advisor to ask a price to change my fluid and filter. Was told I would have to bring it in to get an estamate. Wtf?
They want to see how much accessories you have on your truck and base their estimate on how much you can afford...

Last edited:

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
If the fluid was that dark, did they tell you how much debris was stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan?

I'd probably be looking for an extended warranty asap given what you noted the dealership told you. I've changed a lot of transmission fluid over the years and never encountered dark fluid in something with just 50k miles on it.
They said there was barely any metal on the magnet or pan. The fluid did not smell burnt but the trans does shift way better with new fluid

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Would that be a free estimate or ? I always give people I call for work estimates grief when they they tout their free estimates, as if anyone in their right mind pays for estimates, but with auto dealerships one never knows what they will try to pull.
Or I've told the story of the door to door "sales people" that their only sales pitch seems to be "your neighbors -Tom, Dick and Harry have all agreed to our service" to which I reply " I really don't have anything to do with those neighbors and now that you've mentioned them I don't want anything to do with you" . Then I enjoy the stunned look on their faces.

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Would that be a free estimate or ? I always give people I call for work estimates grief when they they tout their free estimates, as if anyone in their right mind pays for estimates, but with auto dealerships one never knows what they will try to pull.
Or I've told the story of the door to door "sales people" that their only sales pitch seems to be "your neighbors -Tom, Dick and Harry have all agreed to our service" to which I reply " I really don't have anything to do with those neighbors and now that you've mentioned them I don't want anything to do with you" . Then I enjoy the stunned look on their faces.
I have used this service department with my last two mustangs and now my truck. I generally trust them but a simple fluid and filter change I do not understand why they cannot quote a service price.

Ill probaby buy 7qts transfluid and the filter and take it to my other mechanic that does qualitywork for 1/3rd what the dealer charges.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I have used this service department with my last two mustangs and now my truck. I generally trust them but a simple fluid and filter change I do not understand why they cannot quote a service price.

Ill probaby buy 7qts transfluid and the filter and take it to my other mechanic that does qualitywork for 1/3rd what the dealer charges.
When I run into similar issues - meaning biz practices that seemingly make no sense - if I have the time and inclination I'll get in touch with a mgr or company owner and have a discussion and by a rough estimate over 50% of the time I'll get an apology and a discounted offer to use their company. Sometimes I'm happily surprised at the resolution, I once left a mexican eatery because the hostess wouldn't seat me in an area that was "closed" but the open area was packed with a noisy group, I contacted the mgr who apologized and sent me a $75 certificate. And just 2 weeks back I got 2 free hot air balloon rides because of a scheduling mix up on their end. I always tell my kids - it often pays to complain.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I replaced mine at 49,000 miles. I personally would not wait 150,000. The dealership that did mine yesterday said the fluid was black. I used to work for a Ford dealer & I'm big on maintenance. You can never change fluids too early. Good preventive maintenance. I like to do mine between 30,000 & 50,000. It may be overkill but it's always good having fresh clean fluid. I also change my motor oil every 5,000 miles full synthetic.
How much did the dealership charge? I want to get mine done soon at 30K

Nightglide

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Sport, 93 RCSB chevy
Occupation
Maintenance Shift Lead
I just had my 2019 done at about 48k. I called and was quoted $380 for fluid and filter.......which I thought was crazy but whatever. After checking my truck in and getting seated in waiting area, service writer came and found me and said "I don't know who quoted you that but fluid is $412 and with filter it's $700" I didn't get the filter......................
Sponsored