RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to remember - this is not REALLY a new truck - it is mostly the same as what has been available in the rest of the world since 2011 (or 2012). The powertrain is different, but the 10 speed trans has been in F-150's for something like 3 years and the 2.3 has been in both the Mustang and Focus. So there isn't a whole lot that is truly new on this truck. It is one reason I took the plunge and ordered a first year vehicle. For a first year vehicle, I think it is a pretty safe bet.

Probably the biggest issue I've seen here on the forums is the lack of experience in the service bays. There is no experience, so they have to talk to Ford which can take some time. That, coupled with some difficult to get parts in a few cases has made for some bad repair experiences. As time goes on, and the service techs get more experience with the truck and parts shortages even out, things will improve greatly. I think the worst of those kinds of issues are (hopefully) over.
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
What they said. I love my Ranger!!!!! No problems, no regrets, no loud engine noises. Just be sure to get it configured the way YOU want & need it. I don’t think you would regret it.:like:

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
No issues here either :)

My biggest concern before purchasing were the many reviews reporting a harsh, bumpy ride compared to the Tacoma and Colorado, but after letting some air out of the tires (it came with 45+ psi, brought it back to 38) it's a smooth ride.

I haven't had a moment of regret, love it better than our BMW. My wife actually wants to get rid of the bimmer and get another Ranger for her :giggle:

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I think forums in general tend to highlight negative issues. Not to discount those that have had issues but often posters don't post until they have an issue and it has been unpleasant. I'll read a post about buzzing and clicking noises, for example, and all of a sudden I find myself looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

I've learned to be selective when I read posts and recognize that issues will occur to some. We live in a complex world with complex devices.

Drive the truck and make your own assessment. It's good you visited the forum to be aware of potential issues or quirks. Whatever decision you make will be the right one, because you made it.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. I am new on here and have enjoyed reading the forum. I have a 2013 F150 Lariat 4WD SuperCrew and am seriously considering ordering a new 2020 Ranger, but after reading about all the problems everyone on here is reporting am having second thoughts. I will do my first test drive of the Ranger tomorrow morning. I know a lot of the problems are a result of it being a new product and there are assembly issues that can easily be corrected. However, one issue reported on here is engine noise (sounds like sewing machine or buzzing noise). That (depending on how loud and annoying it is) could stop me from being a buyer now. Is the engine really that annoying? I'm hoping some of you will convince me that the main issues with the Ranger are corrected and push me toward purchasing one. I really would like to get one, but don't want to purchase a truck with problems. Thanks!
Dear R.D.: Before taking delivery, I also had some concerns about engine noise, which some members and reviewers found to be a problem in the Ranger. However, in driving my new Lariat 2019 FX4, I find the engine to be surprisingly quiet, much quieter than my previous ride, a 2014 Explorer Limited, even when accelerating for passing or freeway entrance. Of course, this is a subjective question, as everyone has a different perception of how much noise is too much, but I do not find the Ranger Lariat engine noise to be a problem at all. It is so calm and quiet in the (crew) cabin that I can enjoy the Lariat's killer B&O sound system without having to crank it up (unless I want to). The Lariat model comes with an engine cover, of course, and I would suspect that most of the complaints about engine noise come from owners of uncovered trims, but covers and other dampers can be added after-market if desired. In short, I am delighted with the vehicle and would encourage anyone interested in a mid-sized truck to check it out, ideally with a lengthy test drive covering a variety of road conditions.... Regards, Marc

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Dear R.D.: Before taking delivery, I also had some concerns about engine noise, which some members and reviewers found to be a problem in the Ranger. However, in driving my new Lariat 2019 FX4, I find the engine to be surprisingly quiet, much quieter than my previous ride, a 2014 Explorer Limited, even when accelerating for passing or freeway entrance. Of course, this is a subjective question, as everyone has a different perception of how much noise is too much, but I do not find the Ranger Lariat engine noise to be a problem at all. It is so calm and quiet in the (crew) cabin that I can enjoy the Lariat's killer B&O sound system without having to crank it up (unless I want to). The Lariat model comes with an engine cover, of course, and I would suspect that most of the complaints about engine noise come from owners of uncovered trims, but covers and other dampers can be added after-market if desired. In short, I am delighted with the vehicle and would encourage anyone interested in a mid-sized truck to check it out, ideally with a lengthy test drive covering a variety of road conditions.... Regards, Marc
Thanks for the information, Marc. I was scheduled to test drive one yesterday, but the weather was pretty bad here; so, am now on the schedule for tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the information, Marc. I was scheduled to test drive one yesterday, but the weather was pretty bad here; so, am now on the schedule for tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
I drove a Lariat crew cab FX4 today and was impressed with the power and the handling. I was impressed enough to order a new 2020 Lariat crew cab 4WD (not the FX4 as I don't off road). The dealer thought he would be able to put the order into the system in a few weeks and possibly have it by the end of the year.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a Lariat crew cab FX4 today and was impressed with the power and the handling. I was impressed enough to order a new 2020 Lariat crew cab 4WD (not the FX4 as I don't off road). The dealer thought he would be able to put the order into the system in a few weeks and possibly have it by the end of the year.
Congrats on the order!

I highly doubt he will have it by the end of the year since they won't even start making the 2020's until mid November. I would guess you won't see it until late February or March.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Congrats on the order!

I highly doubt he will have it by the end of the year since they won't even start making the 2020's until mid November. I would guess you won't see it until late February or March.
That's what I thought. The sales manager was going to contact someone (I assume someone at Ford) and then let me know an approximate delivery date.

Dieseldean1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Hi. I am new on here and have enjoyed reading the forum. I have a 2013 F150 Lariat 4WD SuperCrew and am seriously considering ordering a new 2020 Ranger, but after reading about all the problems everyone on here is reporting am having second thoughts. I will do my first test drive of the Ranger tomorrow morning. I know a lot of the problems are a result of it being a new product and there are assembly issues that can easily be corrected. However, one issue reported on here is engine noise (sounds like sewing machine or buzzing noise). That (depending on how loud and annoying it is) could stop me from being a buyer now. Is the engine really that annoying? I'm hoping some of you will convince me that the main issues with the Ranger are corrected and push me toward purchasing one. I really would like to get one, but don't want to purchase a truck with problems. Thanks!
I had a 2013 F150 king ranch, and traded it for my 2020 Ranger. I’ve put just under 18k on it, and I love it. It pulls my side x side really well. Zero problems. Plenty of power, and lots of gears.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a 2013 F150 king ranch, and traded it for my 2020 Ranger. I’ve put just under 18k on it, and I love it. It pulls my side x side really well. Zero problems. Plenty of power, and lots of gears.
I have now had mine for 2 years and 9,000 miles. At about 7,000 miles the transmission began shifting more smoothly. It still is jerky if I just start it up and take off, but If I let the truck run for about 5 minutes before driving, it shifts pretty good. The more I drive it now the more I like it.. I still have the start up shudder, but have learned to pretty much ignore it. The truck looks good and is well built. Glad to hear you like yours.
Sponsored