fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I am lurking the forums to try and see what I can learn about the new Ranger. I bought my Jeep about 5.5 years ago and at the time there wasn't diddly for midsize trucks even though I wanted one. F150 was and still is a massive no-go. I see the FX4 has the exact off road capability of my KL Trailhawk (rear locker, skid plates, suspension, crawl control, 9" of clearance with a bigger tire), and the new ranger has the same EPA mileage. So it may be time to switch.

I'm looking for: FX4, bed liner, tow, & creature comforts to match or exceed my Jeep (nav, climate, etc.)

A Lariat is about $43k and a loaded XLT is about $40k. The only differences I track is the Lariat has leather and LED head/tail lights. Is there anything else I am missing? LEDs are easy to add aftermarket for a couple hundred bucks -- is there any differences in the headlight housings or anything unique ot factory LEDs? I care little about the appearance package differences the Lariat may have. Leather is nice but maybe not worth the near $3k.

Can anyone help answer these questions or suggest what package combinations to shop for?

I'm also curious if anyone has luck getting a better price on dealer stock vs. ordering one with rebates available at the time.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I am lurking the forums to try and see what I can learn about the new Ranger. I bought my Jeep about 5.5 years ago and at the time there wasn't diddly for midsize trucks even though I wanted one. F150 was and still is a massive no-go. I see the FX4 has the exact off road capability of my KL Trailhawk (rear locker, skid plates, suspension, crawl control, 9" of clearance with a bigger tire), and the new ranger has the same EPA mileage. So it may be time to switch.

I'm looking for: FX4, bed liner, tow, & creature comforts to match or exceed my Jeep (nav, climate, etc.)

A Lariat is about $43k and a loaded XLT is about $40k. The only differences I track is the Lariat has leather and LED head/tail lights. Is there anything else I am missing? LEDs are easy to add aftermarket for a couple hundred bucks -- is there any differences in the headlight housings or anything unique ot factory LEDs? I care little about the appearance package differences the Lariat may have. Leather is nice but maybe not worth the near $3k.

Can anyone help answer these questions or suggest what package combinations to shop for?

I'm also curious if anyone has luck getting a better price on dealer stock vs. ordering one with rebates available at the time.
Lariat has push-button start, keyless entry, Leather seats, heated seats, LED headlights/taillights, etc.

It's worth the upgrade if you want more luxury, but it doesn't offer more capability than the XLT.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Lariat has additional features besides LED and Leather. Push button start, turn signal mirrors, puddle lights, keyless entry, B&O Sound to name a few. The Ford LED lights are $1200 a piece, so not sure the "LED upgrade" is really saving money.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh okay, that's making more sense to justify the $3k on the Lariat if it's heated leather, LED, B&O, keyless/push button, better mirrors.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
If you go on the Ford site where you build your own truck, you can see the different features between the levels plus appearance differences.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
If you go on the Ford site where you build your own truck, you can see the different features between the levels plus appearance differences.
Yeah that's what I've been doing but there isn't an easy way to compare side by side without sifting features off line by line from the summary!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I'll make it easy for you..

Get the Lariat with the 501A , towing, and FX4 package.

My brother bought the XLT and traded it for the Lariat a month later, Has not been sorry. I bought the lariat upfront because thats what I do. I buy the best features of the top trims. Only thing I don't have that I wish the truck came with was a rear locker, but no snow here and "off-road" for me are fire trails, not rock climbing.

The creature comforts of the Lariat is well worth it for me. The biggest thing I did not like about the XLT is the keys hanging from the steering column hitting my knee. Push-button is the way to go. Never have to take any keys out of pocket.

There are many dealers discounting the Rangers, Get a price from as many as possible using email.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll make it easy for you..

Get the Lariat with the 501A , towing, and FX4 package.

My brother bought the XLT and traded it for the Lariat a month later, Has not been sorry. I bought the lariat upfront because thats what I do. I buy the best features of the top trims. Only thing I don't have that I wish the truck came with was a rear locker, but no snow here and "off-road" for me are fire trails, not rock climbing.

The creature comforts of the Lariat is well worth it for me. The biggest thing I did not like about the XLT is the keys hanging from the steering column hitting my knee. Push-button is the way to go. Never have to take any keys out of pocket.

There are many dealers discounting the Rangers, Get a price from as many as possible using email.
Good advice. For me it isn't JUST the push button start, but the keyless entry - you just pull the door with the keys in your pocket and the door unlocks. When you exit, you just press your finger on the door sensor and the door locks. You never take they keys out of your pocket - either to start the engine or to enter/exit it.

There are other creature comforts on the Lariat that are nice as well. I'm really happy I sprang for the Lariat.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good advice. For me it isn't JUST the push button start, but the keyless entry - you just pull the door with the keys in your pocket and the door unlocks. When you exit, you just press your finger on the door sensor and the door locks. You never take they keys out of your pocket - either to start the engine or to enter/exit it.

There are other creature comforts on the Lariat that are nice as well. I'm really happy I sprang for the Lariat.
Yep... I take that stuff for granted. But they are a big reason why I chose the Lariat. You never have to take the keys out of your pocket. I'm so used to that I forgot about its benefits. Once I saw the manual key on the otherwise sweet XLT.... I moved up to the Lariat

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep... I take that stuff for granted. But they are a big reason why I chose the Lariat. You never have to take the keys out of your pocket. I'm so used to that I forgot about its benefits. Once I saw the manual key on the otherwise sweet XLT.... I moved up to the Lariat
I'd never really experienced that before - my wife's car, a C-Max has the same thing but I don't drive it a lot. Once you get used to it, it really is a VERY nice feature. It is just like the tailgate feature on her car where you swipe your foot under the car to open/close the hatch. I thought it was kind of gimmicky but it really comes in handy when your hands are full.

Some things like these you just have to experience to understand the usefulness of them I think.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd never really experienced that before - my wife's car, a C-Max has the same thing but I don't drive it a lot. Once you get used to it, it really is a VERY nice feature. It is just like the tailgate feature on her car where you swipe your foot under the car to open/close the hatch. I thought it was kind of gimmicky but it really comes in handy when your hands are full.

Some things like these you just have to experience to understand the usefulness of them I think.
Try telling my wife...LOL

We just leased our 3rd CRV, of course, I have to get the Touring LOL I wish she would use adaptive Cruise and lane change...She says she wants to DRIVE,,,, Not let the vehicle do it. OK, that's fair but she prefers CRV NAV to Android Auto,,,,Grrrrrrr So I have to lease the top of the line CRV because its the only trim with NAV GRRRRR ,,LOL She hates going with me so her name isn't on anything Ha

But I think we did well. 36/36 No down $375 maybe I will buy it out and skip the next lease. I will definitely buy the new Ranger but it has to be hella lot better and I don't see how this truck can get much better,

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Lariat gets a center mount speedo with 2 4.2" productivity screens on either side. The XLT get a single productivity screen in between a tach and a speedo.

The mirrors are the same, although the Lariat adds turn signals on the front facing portion.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lariat gets a center mount speedo with 2 4.2" productivity screens on either side. The XLT get a single productivity screen in between a tach and a speedo.

The mirrors are the same, although the Lariat adds turn signals on the front facing portion.
And the Lariat also has the puddle lights (pointing down) on the mirrors. I think the XLT has the heated and power mirrors, but not the puddle lights or turn signals.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I think the Lariat comes with remote start and auto windshield wipers too.
Sponsored