Constant quality complaints in forum

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I had a brand new awd escape for a week when they did my windshield recall and would not touch one after that. Even my wife said this thing is junk compared to her Subaru. Guess everyone has different standards. You should take a new Subaru out for a test drive.
Agree recent subarus are much improved, just like hyundais and kias , although I see hyundai/kia just got whacked with another $200m fine for selling vehicles that can so easily be stolen.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a hobby for many, tweaking their stuff.

Way back in the day (20 years ago), I was all into mountain biking and spent more on its mods than I have on my Ranger. Titanium this, titanium that, all to save a few grams. Now it sits on a back patio and I weigh about 50 pounds more.

I've learned a little (but not that much) and enjoy adding some things to Soupie.

I think my side steps and bed step are necessities (I really can't easily get into the cab and bed). But other stuff is certainly a splurge, like my Bak Revolver and dual Swing Cases (a Rubbermaid Tote, which I have many of, would have worked just as easily, saved a ton of money, and in many ways been easier to use as organizers), and BedRug (it's a pickup, the bed's made to be abused so I don't really hneed this - a tarp would do nearly as well).

My next splurge will be a fancy dash cam, I'm thinking the Nextbase 622GW. I could go with something more economical but I hear my dad's voice about quality and that in itself makes this worth it.

To each their own and we live in a country that let's us fret about things like dampers. I never take that for granted and all the threads about changing this or that out remind me of that.

And while those things are trivial, the freedom to do those things isn't trivial.

1684712448356.png
Hey my kid shows up with his new revel mtn bike, damn thing uses wireless blue tooth to shift , eliminates the hanging durallier bracket, pretty slick and really light.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
OP did you check with us that have written about issues to see if there were other issues we ignored? I’ve started a thread or two and have mentioned my fair share of issues including tranny / rear axles / spark plugs / etc.
However, I didn’t write about my E Brake leather tearing, the motors on the windows going out, the terrible oil filter placement, the shudder that comes from turbo pressure.
Nobody says you have to read the posts but some of us want to share and see if others have ran into similar issues and what fixes they had. Shoot that’s how I found out about the proper spark plugs and not buying the ones every store recommended because ford kept changing the OEM part numbers.
I would also like to add yeah vehicles do have issues, everyone here knows that but like hearing about someone having an issue at 19k miles when mine didn’t have that show up till 75k. Yeah that should be discussed. If you don’t want to discuss it, don’t read it then. Plenty of other threads to read while pooping.
Lastly, as others have pointed out. Yes Ford Quality Control is not that great. Anyone that has owned fords and knows about their spark plugs can attest to that (odd how there is always an issue there). My Honda that I traded in for the ford didn’t have these issues and my 250k Chevy that’s my cabin truck hasn’t had as many issues as my ranger has.
That being said am I going to dump it, hell no, I’m going to drive this Danger Ranger until my damper rusts through.
Alright off my soap box as I need to wipe.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That would only make sense if it was put in a percentage of vehicles sold. That list appears to be based solely on number of recalls, not percentage of recalls per vehicle sold. Not saying Ford would do much better but they do sell a LOT of cars and trucks. GM in numbers of recalls was better but the number of vehicles affected was almost the same as Ford was.

The way those stats are compiled don't seem too helpful to get a clear picture, IMO.

As to the topic of this thread, maybe I'm not picky enough, maybe I was just lucky - but I have a relatively early 2019 build, and I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip. On the way home I was remarking to my wife how comfortable this truck is on long trips - she agreed with me. I've had almost no issues with it and I'm at over 4 years and approaching 40,000 miles. I'm exceedingly happy with this truck. It has done everything I've asked of it, and then some, and usually impresses me when doing it. Is it perfect? No. But I still love it - nothing is perfect.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
5000+ miles already. No issues.
Keep driving. ;)

And let me remind you this is Ranger 5G forum. This is what we are supposed to do here, admire, talk, discuss, complain and whine about our Rangers :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would only make sense if it was put in a percentage of vehicles sold. That list appears to be based solely on number of recalls, not percentage of recalls per vehicle sold. Not saying Ford would do much better but they do sell a LOT of cars and trucks. GM in numbers of recalls was better but the number of vehicles affected was almost the same as Ford was.

The way those stats are compiled don't seem too helpful to get a clear picture, IMO.

As to the topic of this thread, maybe I'm not picky enough, maybe I was just lucky - but I have a relatively early 2019 build, and I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip. On the way home I was remarking to my wife how comfortable this truck is on long trips - she agreed with me. I've had almost no issues with it and I'm at over 4 years and approaching 40,000 miles. I'm exceedingly happy with this truck. It has done everything I've asked of it, and then some, and usually impresses me when doing it. Is it perfect? No. But I still love it - nothing is perfect.
Ford being a public company will sometime reveal warranty costs, other times analysts make educated ( from financial statements) estimates of the costs, link to a 2020 article and a quote from Farley:

For the first nine months of 2020, Ford’s warranty costs totaled $3.87 billion, while GM’s were $1.68 billion, according to regulatory filings.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ty-costs-in-bid-to-boost-profit-idUSKBN2841BV

as an FYI I've had no problems with my Ranger - but I don't discount those who report problems and CEO Farley has publicly acknowledged warranty costs are a major drag on profits (billions) , most warranty payouts are a direct result of quality issues.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I get it. This is a Ranger forum. And anyone who cares enough to be a member here is most likely a bit uptight about their truck. But does EVERYFREAKINGTHING have to be a reason to start a thread with "OMG my Ranger has this!" Or "Ford should have done this!" Sorry but I believe we have some folks on here that would bitch about being given $100 bill if they had to walk across the room to get it.

For the record my Tremor has/had two manufacturing issues that I have noticed so far. Here are the issues along with my response:

1) Driver door is slightly out of alignment. Did I call the dealer for an appointment and then bitch about the backlog? Nope. Did I start a thread to bitch about Ford and/or the dealership? Nope. Did I look at it long and hard to decide what to do? Yep. Solution? Live with it. No one else has even noticed it. For me personally it's just not worth a shop visit. Door alignment is a bit less than perfect. Ok. Move on.

2) As has been mentioned in other threads, the window trim on the left rear door was not installed correctly. Call dealer? Nope. Bitch about it here? Hell no. Solution????? Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner! I pushed the trim into place! Wow, what a thought. Took some concentrated effort but then it popped right into place. Been perfect every since.

When people ask me about my truck what do I tell them? I tell them the truth.... I LOVE MY TREMOR!!!! Do I mention the defects? What defects?

I had decided that I was never going to mention these two issues here in the forum as I did not want to add to the whining. But a couple of threads I read recently just caused me to go "Really?"

Not bashing on anyone specifically. But building a vehicle is honestly a pretty amazing process. I been though Ford, Chrysler, Kenworth and Freightliner plants. (Multiple times for all but KW. Figures since KW is my favorite. :crying:) Numerous transmission and axle plants as well. And yes, forklift (boring) factories too. Not a single time did I see any process that was not fully dedicated to building a vehicle and building it right. But it is a man-made product. Shit happens. (Yes dealers screw up too.) But at the end of the day the process is pretty amazing. Whole lot of people trying to do things right.

I guess I'm just saying that every little thing isn't a "Ford sucks!" crisis. Some of you folks would have to be put on suicide watch if you bought a new house and started nitpicking it. Just inspecting the first room would have you in the fetal position calling for your Mommy.

My rant is over.
For the record, I will happily walk across the room to receive a free one hundred...

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Ford being a public company will sometime reveal warranty costs, other times analysts make educated ( from financial statements) estimates of the costs, link to a 2020 article and a quote from Farley:

For the first nine months of 2020, Ford’s warranty costs totaled $3.87 billion, while GM’s were $1.68 billion, according to regulatory filings.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ty-costs-in-bid-to-boost-profit-idUSKBN2841BV

as an FYI I've had no problems with my Ranger - but I don't discount those who report problems and CEO Farley has publicly acknowledged warranty costs are a major drag on profits (billions) , most warranty payouts are a direct result of quality issues.
On the other hand it is a good way to increase extended warranty sales. Makes me wonder how much of the cost for problems that should be recalled is actually hidden in the extended warranties that on a whole are very profitable for a company. Plus all this warranty work is taking time from techs causing backups at dealership service departments and causing dealers to hire whoever they can find that may not be the best.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
My Ranger was recalled because the windshield was glued in with bubble gum 2 weeks after I got it. The oil stinks like gas and level goes up. Our Subaru is flawless and the leather seats are perfectly stitched and not just thrown together with big wrinkles like my Ranger. The body line gaps are all perfect on the Subaru Japanese quality and detail is amazing. Just comparing the 2 side by side. Both pandemic built vehicles and zero deconents on the Subaru.
Like Mary Poppins, your Subaru is "Practically perfect in every way". :crackup:

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Like Mary Poppins, your Subaru is "Practically perfect in every way". :crackup:
Have to give credit where credit is due. Wish the Ranger was better but it just is par for a 45k vehicle on quality, fit, and finish. I still like my Ranger with all its faults.