Quality of Ford Service

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
Hi All, I'm coming from Infiniti, for the past 15 years I've been driving Infiniti vehicles and this is my First Ford... Today is my first experience with Ford service. With my old dealer, I could always get service appts within a few days and the basic oil change with a free car wash was always 45-60 minutes waiting time.

I took my Ranger into the Ford Dealer that I bought it from and they told me it would be a THREE HOUR wait for a basic oil change. I don't have time to wait 3 hours so I left.

I called the next Ford Dealer and they told me the next open appointment is AUGUST 28th!!

I'm just wondering if this is the level of service to expect from Ford? I knew it would be different compared to a "luxury" brand, I wouldn't get things like free loaner cars for basic service and stuff like that. But seriously, having to wait THREE WEEKS for an appointment?
Sponsored

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
It all depends on your dealer and how much staff/how busy they are. The dealer I bought my Ranger from has express service lanes and can do an oil change or tire rotation in around 40 minutes.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I usually have to wait about an hour and a half for "the works". I've decided that doing it myself is a better use of my time (and cheaper too when using synthetic).

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks

My dealer has the Quick Lane Oil Change...nothing quick about it. Drop it off at 7am and they will call about 1pm. Only good things is we stop at this little sports bar a block away and have a beer and burger for lunch.;)

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Taking my wife's mini van for an oil change is quick and easy. The Chrysler dealer has a nice new lounge, TV and WiFi. 45 minutes tops when just dropping in for the express lane. No Express lane at my Ford dealer, have to make an appointment but they are fairly quick. Their lounge area is bad but the all the people are great. The building they are in is 40+ years old and they need to update badly yet that may be on the way as they have bought all the adjacent property, sadly they closed down a package liquor joint in the process.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Hi All, I'm coming from Infiniti, for the past 15 years I've been driving Infiniti vehicles and this is my First Ford... Today is my first experience with Ford service. With my old dealer, I could always get service appts within a few days and the basic oil change with a free car wash was always 45-60 minutes waiting time.

I took my Ranger into the Ford Dealer that I bought it from and they told me it would be a THREE HOUR wait for a basic oil change. I don't have time to wait 3 hours so I left.

I called the next Ford Dealer and they told me the next open appointment is AUGUST 28th!!

I'm just wondering if this is the level of service to expect from Ford? I knew it would be different compared to a "luxury" brand, I wouldn't get things like free loaner cars for basic service and stuff like that. But seriously, having to wait THREE WEEKS for an appointment?
There are other Ford Dealers with "Quick Lanes" If you don't have a Ford dealer close, how about a Lincoln dealer? Same as going to a Ford Dealer as far as service performed.
I've NEVER waited longer than 1 hour at a Quick Lane, if you drop off your vehicle at a Quick Lane, they WILL do vehicles for waiting Customers first and get to yours as they when things slow down...

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had anyone change my oil, but I now have oil changes for life with this new truck. It will be a scary adventure to go to the dealer and let them work on my truck. I am torn between wanting it done quick or done right. I like your idea Phil from GV. Maybe a couple of beers will soften the anxiety. :like:

OP
OP

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
Thanks for the replies! Interesting to see how things change between dealers/regions. I called three other dealers all had appt wait times for 1+ week... I finally found a dealer that was 20 miles away with an express lane. Went over there and one hour later it was done.

Just amazes me that the first dealer I had an appointment for 9am, but it was going to take 45 minutes just to get it into the shop. What's the point of an appointment at that point??

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There's no such thing as manufacturer service, only dealer service

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
One of the Ford stores that I run has a pretty good Quicklane. We have 9 techs, run two shifts, open til midnight. Depending on the day, we can get to the point where its a hour and a half for a works, but honestly, when you figure 8 minuets for the write-up, car gets staged, tech pulls in and racks car, does a real inspection, drains oil, rotates tires, completes paperwork, drops down vehicle, throws a torque wrench on lug nuts, checks all tires pressures, adds oil, tops all fluid, parks truck, advisor books paperwork. Even if it takes an hour or so, is it really worth $50.00? or even $75.00 for full synthetic?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
One of the Ford stores that I run has a pretty good Quicklane. We have 9 techs, run two shifts, open til midnight. Depending on the day, we can get to the point where its a hour and a half for a works, but honestly, when you figure 8 minuets for the write-up, car gets staged, tech pulls in and racks car, does a real inspection, drains oil, rotates tires, completes paperwork, drops down vehicle, throws a torque wrench on lug nuts, checks all tires pressures, adds oil, tops all fluid, parks truck, advisor books paperwork. Even if it takes an hour or so, is it really worth $50.00? or even $75.00 for full synthetic?
Hi Rich, The cost of the oil change is okay and if it took only 1 hour then there would be no complaints. And if I make an appt. for 9am then the vehicle service should be started very soon after, not an hour later when the 10 am appt. comes in. :crazy::crazy:

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase

Take your Ranger to your Infiniti dealer. I suspect they will service other brands, most do. I doubt they charge 39.95 like my Ford dealer though. I just drop mine off when I don't need it and they take me home and come pick me up when done. Easy enough for me.

BlueSport

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X2
I live in montclair, ca
At the mercedes dealer in ontario next to my house its usually a week wait for an appointment and they usually take 1 -2 hrs for them to finish it

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger

My dealer charges 14.95 for the works, I was a Ford Mechanic for 31 years now I let them do it, cheaper and dont have to get rid of the used oil. Takes a day or 2 for an appointment. Have had really good service from Ford Dealers here in the Tampa area. Wouldnt buy another brand!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored