First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
If your going 70mph and need 4wd you done fucked up.

Get snow tires keep em narrow.
Add 200+lbs over the rear axleif you are new to snow driving keep with traffic or below, not like the DH from Texas who was passing all the Pennsylvania drivers his first snow storm wonder why they all driving 45mph in a 65. He soon found out why.

4wd don't do squat for stopping distance.
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Drive like you have no brakes. I have never put weight in my bed, and I grew up in Chicago. 4wd was only needed if I wanted to be dumb. A good rear locker is all you need to get moving unless its a complete blizzard. And 4wd at highway speeds means you are going to fast for your skill level, no offense because you are asking on the forum.

I have driven 70mph in 4wd in 2 ft of snow before. Probably not my best move. It is possible. But like othera have said slow down.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I grew up here in Kansas, moved around the states for my career, so I'm experienced in driving in snow, older RWD Cars growing up and when FWD became the norm I began to love them. I just know that cars and trucks drive and handle differently and wanted to know if there were any notable issues with the Ranger in handling in the snow and ice conditions fellow owners have experienced. Mainly does adding weight help or does it do fine without it?

My very first move was to Greensboro NC watching the news and the weatherman said a chance of snow tomorrow (up to 2 in possible) stay tuned to end of tonight's newscast for a list of school closings. Not (1) snowflake fell, but my kids had a snow-day. Very next year we had 13 inches in a 2-day snow event, my kids were out 3-weeks on snow days. I also realized when the word SNOW came out of any newscaster's mouth. (Bread and Milk) suddenly became gold. Their last day of school was around July 4th. I realized that if a city is not prepared for snow, it gridlocks it.
I also lived in the Chicago area for a while, man I tell you what, this city is prepared, by use of Heated Sand, it makes a huge difference in keeping the roads clear. But I was like what the heck did I get myself into when the city came around in October and placed a 6-foot-long marker flag on the Fire Hydrants. :crackup:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I just stay home and do mushrooms when it's snowy out. Too dangerous to drive.
In Colorado it was interesting following the initiative to legalize shrooms - unlike 420 they won't sold in retail stores, but it is legal to home grow and share with friends (after all what are friends for ) , and there will be state regulated "healing centers" . What surprised me though is one of the largest advocacy groups were younger working mothers , a number of whom have relied on the shrooms to help them cope with stress. So where I live I get >80" of snow which now that I reflect on it seems to be causing me undue stress.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
In Colorado it was interesting following the initiative to legalize shrooms - unlike 420 they won't sold in retail stores, but it is legal to home grow and share with friends (after all what are friends for ) , and there will be state regulated "healing centers" . What surprised me though is one of the largest advocacy groups were younger working mothers , a number of whom have relied on the shrooms to help them cope with stress. So where I live I get >80" of snow which now that I reflect on it seems to be causing me undue stress.
It's neat to hear that passed, I heard about the proposition years ago but definitely doubted its ability to go anywhere.

Mushrooms aren't my thing.. psychedelics as a whole aren't my thing.. but their claimed ability to improve ones mental health.. especially surrounding severe anxiety/depression/trauma.. it's no joke. First & second hand experience have taught me that.

I have a buddy nearing the end of his battle with M.S.. his memory is shit, his balance is shot, and his speech sounds like he's drunk all the time. Give that dude some mushrooms though.. and you'd almost forget how bad of shape he's in. The psilocybin stimulates the parts of his brain that are in the worst shape and brings more relief to his condition than ANY of the 35,000$ in pharmaceuticals he takes monthly.

It's beautiful really. This nasty looking brown little terrible tasting piece of earth allows my friend to LIVE.. instead of just simply existing. Existence is suffering for him.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It's neat to hear that passed, I heard about the proposition years ago but definitely doubted its ability to go anywhere.

Mushrooms aren't my thing.. psychedelics as a whole aren't my thing.. but their claimed ability to improve ones mental health.. especially surrounding severe anxiety/depression/trauma.. it's no joke. First & second hand experience have taught me that.

I have a buddy nearing the end of his battle with M.S.. his memory is shit, his balance is shot, and his speech sounds like he's drunk all the time. Give that dude some mushrooms though.. and you'd almost forget how bad of shape he's in. The psilocybin stimulates the parts of his brain that are in the worst shape and brings more relief to his condition than ANY of the 35,000$ in pharmaceuticals he takes monthly.

It's beautiful really. This nasty looking brown little terrible tasting piece of earth allows my friend to LIVE.. instead of just simply existing. Existence is suffering for him.
good to hear this has helped your friend - like marijuana psilocybin are classified by the feds as a schedule 1 substance - illegal which has hindered funding for medical research, however research that has been conducted for both shows many positive applications. Another wrinkle in the CO legislation IIRC is one of the long time advocates for usage in cases like your buddy, opposed the CO legislation because these so called healing centers primary motivation is profit taking irrespective of a pre-existing medical condition. but the US is possibly moving towards 420 legalization - mostly driven by the ability to bolster tax revenues.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I've only driven my Ranger in light snow, and that was coming out of work and snow already started. If I know they're calling for significant snow, I take my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD. After driving that vehicle with AWD for 20 years now, I feel more confident in how it will handle since I'm more familiar with it. You wouldn't believe how deep of unplowed snow I've gotten through with it just going 700' to the horse barn. I love that ole thing.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If your going 70mph and need 4wd you done fucked up.

Get snow tires keep em narrow.
Add 200+lbs over the rear axleif you are new to snow driving keep with traffic or below, not like the DH from Texas who was passing all the Pennsylvania drivers his first snow storm wonder why they all driving 45mph in a 65. He soon found out why.

4wd don't do squat for stopping distance.
We do this in Michigan all the time...the trick is not do make sudden moves...sometimes if that's not possible because the plow hasn't caught up on the freeway, I'd drive on the center median...?

brohammer619

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020XLT Ranger
Doesn’t all this weight in a bed just become a projectile if you get into an accident? Sounds scary to have bags of heavy rocks flying

John Abeln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew-cab FX4
I have been driving on snow in the PNW mountains regularly since 2019 on the stock FX4 Hankooks. Since 4wd does not help breaking, I leave it in 2H until I feel slipping or the traction control light starts flashing, then put it in 4H while moving. I have had to use the diff-lock in 2L a few times to get unstuck after stopping, but then right back to 2H/4H. I never felt the need for sandbags, but have a crew cab with a topper that is ~250lbs. The Hankooks have done an OK job, but they are showing their age and I'm getting Blizzaks installed next week.
Sponsored