Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my instructions since Baja Designs decided to include the most minimalistic instructions possible with their $300+ light kit. I went with the Squadron Sport Lights (instead of the Squadron Pro), and bought two additional amber lenses.

1. Turn wheels all the way toward the side you intend to work on first. Don’t forget to swing them the other way when you install the other side or you’ll be fighting the tire.

2. Drop the front skid plate (FX4), 4 bolts, 15mm.

3. Remove front crash bar plastic cover, two plastic push screws; use a pick tool to pry up the inside pin then a flat blade screwdriver or trim tool to pry it the rest of the way out.

4. Remove the plastic air dams in front of the tires. 3 bolts, two are 10mm, one is a 8mm.

5. Remove 4 screws that secure fog lamp into the housing. Recommend using a 1/4” rachet and T-25 torx bit. The top far corner is hard to reach but doable.

6. Partially remove fog lamp from housing, disconnect electrical pigtail. Remove fog lamp.

7. Assemble lamps and stock pigtail adapters. Square up the brackets with the face of the lamp and tighten them down. You won’t be able to tighten the bracket to the lamp once it is installed in the bumper housing.

8. The BD directions indicate you need spacers for all 4 screws on each lamp, but only 4 are provided instead of 8. The spacers go on the inside mount holes only(nearest the center of the bumper), so 4 is the appropriate number required.
UPDATE: Baja Designs may be updating the number of included spacers to 8 total; not sure the other 4 are necessary but you may find otherwise.

9. Connect the lamp and test it before reassembling your vehicle, if it isn’t working flip the connector 180 degrees that plugs into the stock female receptacle.

10. There will be a lot of slack in the wire harness with the addition of the wiring adapters. Use one or two zip ties to take out the slack so the harness is not clanking around inside your front bumper.

11.Reassemble vehicle.

E66EBABD-A6AA-4E02-8D81-94494E98C912.jpeg

CFA53010-CAC2-441E-83FC-A1F18CCFD098.jpeg

761B3345-3EBE-4CF2-9077-BB938EA50C8B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator
Here are my instructions since Baja Designs decided to include the most minimalistic instructions possible with their $300+ light kit. I went with the Squadron Sport Lights (instead of the Squadron Pro), and bought two additional amber lenses.

1. Turn wheels all the way toward the side you intend to work on first. Don’t forget to swing them the other way when you install the other side or you’ll be fighting the tire.

3. Remove front crash bar plastic cover, two plastic push screws; use a pick tool to pry up the inside pin then a flat blade screwdriver or trim tool to pry it the rest of the way out.

4. Remove the plastic air dams in front of the tires. 3 bolts, two are 10mm, one is a 8mm.

5. Remove 4 screws that secure fog lamp into the housing. Recommend using a 1/4” rachet and T-25 torx bit. The top far corner is hard to reach but doable.

6. Partially remove fog lamp from housing, disconnect electrical pigtail. Remove fog lamp.

7. Assemble lamps and stock pigtail adapters. Square up the brackets with the face of the lamp and tighten them down. You won’t be able to tighten the bracket to the lamp once it is installed in the bumper housing.

8. The BD directions indicate you need spacers for all 4 screws on each lamp, but only 4 are provided instead of 8. The spacers go on the inside mount holes only(nearest the center of the bumper), so 4 is the appropriate number required.

9. Connect the lamp and test it before reassembling your vehicle, if it isn’t working flip the connector 180 degrees that plugs into the stock female receptacle.

10. There will be a lot of slack in the wire harness with the addition of the wiring adapters. Use one or two zip ties to take out the slack so the harness is not clanking around inside your front bumper.

11.Reassemble vehicle.

Great write up! Make it a sticky.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4

11.Reassemble vehicle.

Agreed, great write up. I also installed my set this weekend while my headlamps and valence was out. This made my install really easy. I agree, the instructions SUCK! I was a thought my kit were short 4 spacers but @Robby also only had 4 spacers (he didn't use any of them) so I figured it was only supposed to have 4. I emailed BD this morning but haven't heard back. Why did you put them on the inside screws? Did BD tell you that is where to use them? I put mine on the bottom 2 screws of each lamp and they look and seemed to work fine like that. I also went with the "sport" and they are stupid bright. I can't imagine what the "pro" is like.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, great write up. I also installed my set this weekend while my headlamps and valence was out. This made my install really easy. I agree, the instructions SUCK! I was a thought my kit were short 4 spacers but @Robby also only had 4 spacers (he didn't use any of them) so I figured it was only supposed to have 4. I emailed BD this morning but haven't heard back. Why did you put them on the inside screws? Did BD tell you that is where to use them? I put mine on the bottom 2 screws of each lamp and they look and seemed to work fine like that. I also went with the "sport" and they are stupid bright. I can't imagine what the "pro" is like.
When I placed the face of the new BD lamps flush against housing, the inside mounts had a gap equivalent to the size of the spacers, the outside mounts only had about a 1mm gap at most.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I placed the face of the new BD lamps flush against housing, the inside mounts had a gap equivalent to the size of the spacers, the outside mounts only had about a 1mm gap at most.
Looks like there was supposed to be 8 spacers after all. I just received this response from Baja Designs and they are saying that it was a mistake in their build sheet. They are sending me out 4 more spacers. You can probably reach out to them and they will send you the other four. Also, you probably want to revise your write up to include all 8 spacers.
XypS-26KDHfZul_gw7zfX21mLrSmyu1OTne7creKcgfnfhonDGt4jyjzm_J-_F87l3iAQf0a1NlmIjg6f2o=w738-h207-no.jpg

Last edited:

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator
Looks like there was supposed to be 8 spacers after all. I just received this response from Baja Designs and they are saying that it was a mistake in their build sheet. They are sending me out 4 more spacers. You can probably reach out to them and they will send you the other four. Also, you probably want to revise your write up to include all 8 spacers.
XypS-26KDHfZul_gw7zfX21mLrSmyu1OTne7creKcgfnfhonDGt4jyjzm_J-_F87l3iAQf0a1NlmIjg6f2o=w738-h207-no.jpg
So the spacers would make it not flush against the factory housing? Give it some space? I like mine flush. I’m keeping my spacers out.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the spacers would make it not flush against the factory housing? Give it some space? I like mine flush. I’m keeping my spacers out.
I'm with you. I like mine flush as well and since these are more of a "flood" beam pattern, aligning them won't make a difference in the direction of the light. I think that even with the spacers it will still be flush against the housing. The spacers, in my opinion, are just to fill in some of the space between the bracket and housing. Mine, and I'm sure yours also, aren't going anywhere the way we and @Randy2400h have them mounted.Since the 4 other spacers that BD is sending me won't really change anything, I will put them aside and install them at some point when I get around to it. No hurry though.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Huh, ok. I’ll probably just skip putting them in since they mounted up well. That aluminum bracket is soft enough to give a little, but I checked them before mounting them. I was sure that they had F’d up the included hardware, but after test mounting them it seemed like spacers were completely unnecessary for outside mounting holes. The directions are so terrible that I could believe that 2 spacers per light is the correct number and they don’t match the build sheet. I’ll update my post though.

Baja Designs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Baja Designs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado H.D.
Greetings,

I wanted to follow up and apologize for the instructions not being up to par and the lack of spacers. Our initial batch of instructions has been re-written in order to better advise customers installing the kit. The product instructions can be found on the product page in the link below if they are needed at any time.

If there is anything i can further assist with please let me know, i'd be happy to lend any sort of hand!

Randy, thank you for providing the awesome explanation!

Instructions / Product Page:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/Ford-Ranger-2019-Fog-Pocket-Kits.asp

-Luke Reardon

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greetings,

I wanted to follow up and apologize for the instructions not being up to par and the lack of spacers. Our initial batch of instructions has been re-written in order to better advise customers installing the kit. The product instructions can be found on the product page in the link below if they are needed at any time.

If there is anything i can further assist with please let me know, i'd be happy to lend any sort of hand!

Randy, thank you for providing the awesome explanation!

Instructions / Product Page:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/Ford-Ranger-2019-Fog-Pocket-Kits.asp

-Luke Reardon
I would also like to add that Baja Designs customer service did a GREAT job at following up and taking care of the issue. They responded quickly to my email and already shipped out the missing spacers. They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. These things happen and I appreciate the great customer service that Baja Deigns did to resolve the issue.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I hadn’t seen Baja Designs reply on here with their new instructions, but I just looked at them. They are almost laughable. You can do it their way if you like doing things the extremely hard way or just do it per my instructions and you’ll save yourself an hour or two. I have to remove and re-install a new (warrantied) squadron light today. One of the Four LEDs was flickering during operation.

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
Nice write up for the installation! The Baja Designs fog lights are amazing and with their new SAE compliant lights you now have an option that are able to be run on the roads.

If anyone is looking for a set of lights, don't hesistate to reach out!

Ph: 888-466-8991

hsuV8lC.jpg

Manny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Baja Designs Fog Pocket Kit, Squadron Sport installed today, the shop had no problem with the installation instructions but we did have a PROBLEM with the light flickering. I reached out to BD and some fast talking tech guy (so i had no idea what he was talking about) told us he would send out free of charge a new part (CAN-bus Anti-Flicker 2-pin Wiring Harness) that some trucks need to install to stop the flickering (Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?). Too late i already have the shop working on this and being charged by the hour, so i installed a HLH Anti Flicker for $70 bucks (not happy) but it worked.

Last edited:

BetaBreezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Ingot Silver
Occupation
Perfusionist
So Vision X used my XLT FX4 to install/shoot photos of their new fog light kit coming out this past Saturday. I helped them do the install and we did not need to drop the FX4 skid plate. All necessary bolts to remove the existing fog lights and install the new LEDs with brackets were accessible with the wheel turned towards whichever side you were working on. They should have a pretty detailed installation manual when released.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

UPDATE: Baja Designs may be updating the number of included spacers to 8 total; not sure the other 4 are necessary but you may find otherwise.

11.Reassemble vehicle.

Thanks for the great write up! How do you aim the lamps?
Sponsored