Seat Quality...WTF???!!!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I prefer a fix that will cover the wear spot as well as prevent any future damage. Did an intense amount of research about upholstery fixes and evidenty an iron on patch would be best. Mostly negative reviews from users of stick on patches and other methods of fabric and upholstery repair.

It appears that Amazon offers the best iron-on patch:

Any thoughts?
I would lean toward something less permanent in case you have to replace it again. Also, could you damage what is directly beneath the cover with the heat?
Sponsored

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Driver
After my Dealer told me this issue is not covered under warranty because it is normal wear and tear, contacted Ford and they said the same. They did record my report into a case and I sent a photo of the damage. If they get enough reports from owners it would be under consideration for warranty coverage.

I prefer a fix that will cover the wear spot as well as prevent any future damage. Did an intense amount of research about upholstery fixes and evidenty an iron on patch would be best. Mostly negative reviews from users of stick on patches and other methods of fabric and upholstery repair.

It appears that Amazon offers the best iron-on patch: Amazon.com: ZEFFFKA Premium Quality Fabric Iron-on Patches Inside & Outside Strongest Glue 100% Cotton Blue Gray Beige Brown Yellow Red Green Repair Decorating Kit 14 Pieces Size 3" by 4-1/4" (7.5 cm x 10.5 cm)
Here is one of the reviews that is attached to it: By R. P. on February 8, 2021 Used the patch on a seat in a 2008 Jeep. Went on easy and a month later still there.

I would probably in addition to covering the worn spot with it, also apply some of it on the inside of the belt where it sets against the seat back for extra protection.

If this doesn't work then I would use a seat belt pad like some of you are doing.

Any thoughts?
I inspected my almost-pampered, 2021 Ranger with 5K miles, 4WD leather-SEATING Surfaces Lariat and there IS a Very small area of wear, in the “Rub Zone“, on the outer left side driver seat, NON-Leather, woven fabric section. BUT I have a habit of OUTWARDLY Left-leaning stretching the seat belt-harness BEFORE I attach it. This stretching action MIGHT have minimized wear to the affected area, but I’m not sure. I’ve been stretching the lap/seat belt for decades, since retractable seat belts were the standard, in order to reduce resistance AND getting a comfortable and effective fit. I try NOT to rush, ever, in the seatbelt fit. This Outward stretching May Have reduced the friction on my Ranger driver seat upholstery “wear Zone”. In any case, my appreciation to the OP and replies.
Indeed.
This truck is used almost daily, which roughly figures 2 rubs per driving event; one attaching & one returning.
I will also consider coming up with alternative(s), to somehow, placing “roller” style jewelry beads, (or similar Or other possibilities, to offer choices to a Faux sheepskin solution, to act as a friction-reducing spacer and significantly reduce damage). I must now consider one or more methods (available genuine Leather patch material, durable plastics, ceramics, metals ? Whatever), to how best make a simple, wear-reduction, effective design, that Does Not hinder seatbelt function in Any way, And, provide a choice to the faux sheepskin option. Faux sheepskin may be subject to early wear And May only be a temporary solution, one that I will probably promptly use, until one or more successful, permanent alternatives are designed.

It would NOT hurt if FORD Corporate acted on this issue, with Zest. This May be a design flaw, regardless. It is an avoidable condition, but if the wear continues, will only be permanently corrected by an expensive fix, one that could be made non-existent, with some intelligent, cost-effective design, thought thoroughly UP FRONT.
Maybe ?

To Ford:
are you paying attention ?
We shall see.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
quick update...I was thinking about the pic of my seat looking faded an gray. I thought maybe it's the backing of the seat cover rubbing off an leaving a layer of dust on the seat. I went out an took a damp cloth to it an it came right off.

seat.jpg

after wiping it down

seat2.jpg

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's 2011 Explorer 245K...better designed...

IMG_7332.JPG

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have decided not to patch the wear spot for now. In the meantime will order these seat belt pads in dark gray to match the interior. Maybe this will be all the fix I need :)

Amazon.com: Soft Faux Sheepskin Seat Belt Shoulder Pad for a More Comfortable Driving, Compatible with Adults Youth Kids - Car, Truck, SUV, Airplane,Carmera Backpack Straps 2 Packs Black : Automotive
For $9...yeah. That's why I stole the one from my wife's car. Doesn't get in the way and doesn't really stand out visually (much).

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have decided not to patch the wear spot for now. In the meantime will order these seat belt pads in dark gray to match the interior. Maybe this will be all the fix I need :)

Amazon.com: Soft Faux Sheepskin Seat Belt Shoulder Pad for a More Comfortable Driving, Compatible with Adults Youth Kids - Car, Truck, SUV, Airplane,Carmera Backpack Straps 2 Packs Black : Automotive
That's what I just did...shame the Coroplast didn't hold...but this will at least keep things from getting worse...

This should be a sticky for new Ranger buyers...

IMG_7333.JPG

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's what I just did...shame the Coroplast didn't hold...but this will at least keep things from getting worse...

This should be a sticky for new Ranger buyers...

IMG_7333.JPG
Sid,
Thanks for letting me know that the patch didn't hold...won't do it either as it might create more problems! :)

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For $9...yeah. That's why I stole the one from my wife's car. Doesn't get in the way and doesn't really stand out visually (much).
Chris,
Does the pad need to slide up and down on the belt as you buckle and unbuckle it or can the pad be set at one point on the belt where the rubbing occured without having to slide?
Thanks,
Paul

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Chris,
Does the pad need to slide up and down on the belt as you buckle and unbuckle it or can the pad be set at one point on the belt where the rubbing occured without having to slide?
Thanks,
Paul
Gravity keeps it down...where you want it...see my pic...it doesn't move...

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Chris,
Thanks,
Paul
It's set all the way at the bottom and doesn't move.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Captain & Tennille's Greatest Hits...
Sponsored