how to get new keys made if you don't have a key code that supposedly comes with the keys when new.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All
Just to summarize my situation in one place for those that may come later.
  • I have an XLT with remote start - flip key fob
  • I have both original Keys
  • MyKey shows 2 admin Keys
  • I am trying to add this chipped spare key LINK (others including OP have indicated success)
So far I have not been able to program the key to my truck. I can follow the process and believe its correct as I can get to the point where I insert the new key and I do not get the "No Key Detected" error, but no lock/unlock cycle and "Key Successfully Programmed" ?

One potential issues is battery needs to be fully charged and mine wasn't. I have charged it over night and driven it a lot the weekend. But still no luck. Now I don't know about the rest of you but our charging system is a bit odd IMHO, so I am not ready to say this is still not my issue.
The other possibility is that @silverflash and @Murph (who have both used these steps and successfully programmed keys) do NOT have remote start. Not sure why this would matter, but who knows! If you have remote start flip key fob (non-Lariat) and have been able to program new keys yourself please reply! For that matter if you tried and failed as I have also please reply!
Sponsored

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
If u have remote start, did you order the exact same fob off Amazon? I will say that I was able to create just a dummy chipped key that starts truck but isn't part of a fob so I would bet you should be able to use any fob but then maybe not as I have read the fob needs to be exactly the same. Perhaps the chip key without a fob gets a pass with the system as it doesn't see the door locking unlocking functionality. Did u get the correct new fob off Amazon? You should not be trying the one I got which doesn't have remote start.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
If u have remote start, did you order the exact same fob off Amazon? I will say that I was able to create just a dummy chipped key that starts truck but isn't part of a fob so I would bet you should be able to use any fob but then maybe not as I have read the fob needs to be exactly the same. Perhaps the chip key without a fob gets a pass with the system as it doesn't see the door locking unlocking functionality. Did u get the correct new fob off Amazon? You should not be trying the one I got which doesn't have remote start.
Hey Bill no fob, I got the dummy chipped key. Same as what you used

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Well I was able to program that one with my original fob key abd a new fob key I had literally made a minute prior using both originals. Seems like u r skipping a step or going too slow or fast.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Have tried fast and slow! Although I do the key swaps fast. But here is what I have tried. I started using the chimes as my count as 4 chimes is about 5-6sec.
So below refers to trying each set of steps with 1 to 4 chimes. Also note that after 4 chimes the airbag light turns off.
  1. Insert 1st Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for X chimes turn off and remove
  2. Insert 2nd Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for X chimes turn off and remove
  3. Insert NEW Key. Turn to ON(RUN), I have tried leaving this key in for over 30sec and a couple of times much longer. Also turning to off (per instructions that came with the key) after X chimes.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Have tried fast and slow! Although I do the key swaps fast. But here is what I have tried. I started using the chimes as my count as 4 chimes is about 5-6sec.
So below refers to trying each set of steps with 1 to 4 chimes. Also note that after 4 chimes the airbag light turns off.
  1. Insert 1st Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for X chimes turn off and remove
  2. Insert 2nd Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for X chimes turn off and remove
  3. Insert NEW Key. Turn to ON(RUN), I have tried leaving this key in for over 30sec and a couple of times much longer. Also turning to off (per instructions that came with the key) after X chimes.
You dont need 2 original keys, but you do need 2 unique keys. Keys can be cloned, so it sounds like one of your keys is a clone of the other, which won't work. A locksmith will have to program another unique code for you to be able to add keys. Otherwise, you can just keep cloning the 1 you have.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
You dont need 2 original keys, but you do need 2 unique keys. Keys can be cloned, so it sounds like one of your keys is a clone of the other, which won't work. A locksmith will have to program another unique code for you to be able to add keys. Otherwise, you can just keep cloning the 1 you have.
Could be, my truck was a demo....
Will get the other key programmed by a locksmith this week.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well finally got my key programmed - by a locksmith
He tried using the 2 key method 1st and it didn't work for him either. So $30 and the programming tool hooked up to the truck.

Maybe XLTs with remote start cant use the 2 key method....

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
He tried using the 2 key method 1st and it didn't work for him either. So $30 and the programming tool hooked up to the truck.

Starting to think maybe that's the case.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor

So you have 2 unique keys for sure now, right? If so, you could always try to add a key to verify.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
So you have 2 unique keys for sure now, right? If so, you could always try to add a key to verify.
Yes - my thoughts exactly. I will wait for a deal on a remote start fob

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Just wanted to share that I bought 2 keys from ebay (these ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/184502556385 ), and then had a local locksmith cut it. Tried ace, HD and they couldn't cut it given the shape of the key. cost $29 to cut each one, so $100 all in for 2 extra fobs.

To program i did just as described.
1. Insert first key, turn to second position and wait for chimes to stop.
2. remove and insert second key, turn to second position, wait for chimes to stop.
3. remove and insert new key, turn to second position. the dashboard lights will flash, doors will lock (presumably testing it?), and then it will say "key programmed successfully.

I was able to have all 4 keys working. tested ignition on all 4, and all 4 lock and unlock remotely.

Now I can rest easy about carelessly losing a key and being unable to source my own replacement without paying through the nose at the dealer.

Also, on topic: I did not have a key code. the locksmith used a tool that effectively traced (via a linkage) the original tool as it cut the copy.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
yeah, 29$ seems way too much per key but it seems they get what they want. it takes literally 1-2 minutes a key. where i got mine cut, i literally was only asked to pay 10$ to cut 3 keys we had brought to the guy. 10$. I ended up giving him $40 for the three cuts and he was shocked. i am going back to have him cut 2 more for me then i will have 6 total so i should be good forever.

my gf just bought a car and it just came with 1 key. she has to take it to him and he will be able to create a 2nd and third key but he has to interface with the car. That's gonna be fairly cheap too. seems good, honest, fair locksmiths are hard to come by now. They all want to pay off their machines in very few cuts and then become rich, and famous. I called around here just for giggles- ace wouldn't cut my key, you have to buy from them and it's like $100 for a $40 fob. another local locksmith would cut my key that i brought. for $40. i wish i could work 2 minutes and make $40. That's $1200/hr. The guy i used is in a small town and something tells me, he is still making money cutting 3 for 10$. Shame on these crooks.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
To update you all on the remote start, flip Key Fob saga
After lots of help from OP Bill and @JimH i ended up programming my key at a locksmith. The 2 key method did not work.
After getting an extra fob from Jim (THX!) I decided to try all 3 of my keys rotating in to the 2 key method. Just to see if maybe one of my original keys was not original (bad copy, clone whatever!).
I did this by swapping out my key blades into the new key and then tryinmg both fobs with my 3rd key I just got programmed. Still no luck. At this point I am convinced that remote start, flip Key Fobs are not 2 key method programmable.
Please anyone who has a remote start, flip Key Fob and is successful at adding a key, please post how you did it!

So I at least found a locksmith in the Raleigh area that will cut and program for a MORE reasonable price - $50
Make-A-Key in Wake Forrest, NC

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Just an update. I ordered another fob and another sunny key with chip. Had my locksmith cut them- charged me 10$- and I was able to program them using one original and one that he made 2 weeks ago or so. Now I have 6 admin keys. Lolol. And they all start the truck.
Sponsored