Think I Threw a Rod....

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I feel like everyone should know... I’m running a 5 Star Tune, blow off valve, AFE inter cooler pipes, intake, and 3” exhaust... everything has been bought through 5 Star Tuning... I’ve had the 93 performance tune since 5,000 miles, and it’s ran flawlessly.... I’m currently at 19’000 miles... was heading to work one morning, and the low oil pressure light came on, CLANK CLANK CLANK, sounded like I threw a rod.... currently have it back at my dealer, to see if Ford will cover the repair... I think the oil pump went south, or maybe the rod bolts weren’t tightend to spec?? Don’t know, but I purchased the 5 Star Tuning Warranty when I bought the tune, just in case... I don’t think it was the tune, but I bet Ford is gonna try and blame them... My dealer is pushing for Ford to cover the cost, because the miles are so low... I had no check engine lights before the melt down... I’ll keep everyone posted how this comes out... Wish me luck... ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I feel like everyone should know... I’m running a 5 Star Tune, blow off valve, AFE inter cooler pipes, intake, and 3” exhaust... everything has been bought through 5 Star Tuning... I’ve had the 93 performance tune since 5,000 miles, and it’s ran flawlessly.... I’m currently at 19’000 miles... was heading to work one morning, and the low oil pressure light came on, CLANK CLANK CLANK, sounded like I threw a rod.... currently have it back at my dealer, to see if Ford will cover the repair... I think the oil pump went south, or maybe the rod bolts weren’t tightend to spec?? Don’t know, but I purchased the 5 Star Tuning Warranty when I bought the tune, just in case... I don’t think it was the tune, but I bet Ford is gonna try and blame them... My dealer is pushing for Ford to cover the cost, because the miles are so low... I had no check engine lights before the melt down... I’ll keep everyone posted how this comes out... Wish me luck... ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You seem to be taking this very well.

Good luck.

What is this 5 Star warranty you speak of. Some sort of extended warranty on their tune?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
good luck - how can your dealer push Ford to cover it until it's known what has failed in the engine - which sometimes requires a tear down to determine, but hope it's all covered.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
The question that Ford normally asks of the dealer is, "Can you be 100% positive that the tune caused the engine to fail"? Hell, I can't be 100% sure of ANYTHING. Be patient and believe the dealer is on your side.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I'd say if you don't have a new inspection window then you haven't thrown a rod, but sure sounds like it's broke.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Jeebus! Soooo glad you got the warranty on the tune just in case. However, I am sure Ford would try and push for "it's their fault." Did you reset to factory tune before you took it in?

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Didn't know they offered that.

Definitely following for the end result.
It was a big selling point of the tune. And if I had realized I was going to put so many miles on my truck the first 8 months of ownership I would have bought the 100,000 mile warranty. I got the 60,000 mile warranty

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I get the feeling, as soon as the dealer sees your mods and your flash it's factory warranty denied. Then it's up to 5 star.

Watching this thread to see how it pans out with their warranty coverage. I suspect a battle - likely between 5 star and Ford at first then 5 star and you last. If that is what it sounds like, it's probably a $10K bill that nobody is going to want to get stuck with.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeebus! Soooo glad you got the warranty on the tune just in case. However, I am sure Ford would try and push for "it's their fault." Did you reset to factory tune before you took it in?
No sir I didn’t, I realized I screwed up when towed it in and should have... but then they could see the boost I was running etc... hahaha took all the NGauge off etc... but they don’t recognize the truck, because of the tune... it’s about to get down to brass tack facts.... whose going to cover the warranty??

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say if you don't have a new inspection window then you haven't thrown a rod, but sure sounds like it's broke.
Engine seized and I coasted into my driveway while dragging oil... he got me home...
Sponsored