Spare tire?

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
To everyone who upgraded their wheels and tires did you upgrade your spare as well?

I just went to 33x11.5 with icon rebounds 0 offset. Should I order a spare tire? I feel like yes I should but that’s a lot of money to just have sitting.
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
At a minimum, the spare should be the same rolling diameter as the rest.

Personally, I always match the spare rim and tire to the road wheels.

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
No I have not yet, I actually completely forgot about it. Thanks for making me need to spend another $500 though:crackup: . Definitely worth the investment if you ever need it, and you will most likely need it in an inconvenient situation.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
To everyone who upgraded their wheels and tires did you upgrade your spare as well?

I just went to 33x11.5 with icon rebounds 0 offset. Should I order a spare tire? I feel like yes I should but that’s a lot of money to just have sitting.
I forgot all about my spare when I ordered new tires last year. I remembered before leaving for our UT trip and bought one but I'm using my stock wheels so I haven't upgraded that just yet. With a different wheel and offset I would definitely upgrade that too.

I would also add the spare into the rotation especially if you plan on keeping your truck for a number of years. This way the spare will wear evenly with the other four. Why spend all that money and now have a new spare and four that have 25,000 on them?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No I have not yet, I actually completely forgot about it. Thanks for making me need to spend another $500 though:crackup: . Definitely worth the investment if you ever need it, and you will most likely need it in an inconvenient situation.

Steve, You know this site is a money pit. lol

Money To Burn.gif

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I’m with you I completely forgot about the spare now I have my truck set up and watching a trail video and they pulled the spare and I was like wait what? Lmao! My last lifted truck I didn’t worry about it but I will be on trails with this one and will be keeping it for the time until my son gets it.

Damn 500$ will be headed towards that!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely
58B6CA7C-42B9-4F65-94E2-1186AB418CBF.jpeg
Looks like a spare alloy wheel too - nice. Can you mount it the other way around so you can check air pressure?

Also, here’s a thought...

What about a TPMS Sensor? If installed, wouldn’t it be best for it to be activated and the “regular” tire’s TPMS Sensor de-activated if the spare was used or rotated in regularly?

Because if it had no sensor and was being used, the TPMS would be reading the spare and not the tire that is in use. You could scroll through your screen and think all was well but the tire could be dangerously low.

Maybe @AzScorpion has one in his spare?

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I know this was asked before but I can't remember. I think it does but not 100% sure.
Does the TPMS monitor the spare? Please don’t make me run out to the cold, cold garage and check for myself. ❄☃

EDIT: I checked, it does not and it certainly isn’t 108 F out there!

Last edited:

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Looks like a spare alloy wheel too - nice. Can you mount it the other way around so you can check air pressure?

Also, here’s a thought...

What about a TPMS Sensor? If installed, wouldn’t it be best for it to be activated and the “regular” tire’s TPMS Sensor de-activated if the spare was used or rotated in regularly?

Because if it had no sensor and was being used, the TPMS would be reading the spare and not the tire that is in use. You could scroll through your screen and think all was well but the tire could be dangerously low.

Maybe @AzScorpion has one in his spare?
I could have mounted my spare the other way,but the holder would scratch the shiz out of a very expensive wheel.I do indeed have a TPM sensor installed,so that when I rotate my tires,I include my spare.
Sponsored