First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Actually, the inside tire and outside tire on either axle are free to rotate at different speeds due to the differential. Well, unless you have an elock and lock the rear differential. The jerking is due to the front axle being locked to the rear axle by the transfer case. In a turn, the radius is different between the front axle and rear axle.
Hurr I'm a durr.

You're absolutely correct.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TXRanger13

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks everyone. Now I just need to find some where to actually go off road and test out the 4WD system for real.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Thanks everyone. Now I just need to find some where to actually go off road and test out the 4WD system for real.
Didn't you guys just get some snow up there? I wouldn't think finding a place to test would be all that hard.

I doubt you did any damage. I've driven short distances on dry pavement in 4wd with other vehicles for one reason or another without any problems. I wouldn't think the Ranger would be much different. I just wouldn't make a habit of it.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I will only add this-
I concur with all the others. I will only add that just remember any four wheel or all wheel drive vehicles can accelerate quicker/faster/
easier than 2wd vehicles however they cannot stop faster in slick.conditions. over the course of my 34 years of law enforcement
I dreaded working the 1st and 2nd snows of the season, it always involved a lot of vehicles that had drivera new to operating all or 4 wheel drive vehicles. After a few times of driving them, they learned how to negotiate the roads once again.

Might also add that after a dry spell mist or gentle rain/snow is much worse to drive on as opposed to a hard rain that rinses the goo off the roads. As winter progresses watch out for the patches of sand that accumulate in intersections due to sand dropped by dot, if you have to maneuver as you hit the sand you lose traction

Last edited:

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
No harm harm done from what I read. I occasionally use 4h while its actively raining heavy; straight line only. I’ve grown to like the snow/sand gravel setting if you have the option. It’s the first option in the terrain options. When disengaging 4H, it takes a few feet to undo itself. Best to let off the gas and not be turning to let it engage without issue. If you’re in a highly populated county, drive out to a smaller county and find a county road to drive on. They are almost always dirt, gravel or caliche.
Sponsored