First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab
Occupation
Chief Maintenance Engineer
On car-part.com there is a white hood listed for 650 US but its in San Diego. Not sure if the site works up north but a used hood in the right color might be cheaper.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Yeah, I don't want a deflector but the protector almost but not quite covers it but would cover damaged paint area and perhaps can pull out rest. Someone at my Ford dealer had it installed on her truck and it didn't look bad. My main concern is resale. I feel like I would have to disclose issue when selling.

https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/deflectors/deflector-12218.html

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Wow...that sucks! My aluminum fender was hit by a patio umbrella that the wind carried off of my neighbors patio. My truck only had 800 miles on it when it happened. I asked around about the paintless dent repair, but everyone said that the aluminum was a heavier gage and it wouldn’t work well. Don’t know if you have Caliber Collision around you, but they matched my Magnetic paint beautifully.
I am pretty confident that the Ranger is all steel except for the tailgate. I don’t have a magnet available, but the F150 body is the only aluminum body truck Ford produces. Worth your time to do the magnet test.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I am pretty confident that the Ranger is all steel except for the tailgate. I don’t have a magnet available, but the F150 body is the only aluminum body truck Ford produces. Worth your time to do the magnet test.
hood, tailgate, and fenders

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
I was surprised to learn this from the body shop person as well, I had assumed it was steel and that AL was F-150 only.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
False...front fenders, hood and tailgate are aluminum

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Had the truck for a week with less than 1k kms and my neighbor dropped a scaffolding panel he was loading into his truck on to the hood. :eek:
Normally I'd freak but I managed to take it in stride. (It's a truck!) I do plan to sell it in next few years though so I want to keep it close to factory condition.

But now we have to repair the thing. Aluminum hood and white platinum paint doesn't make it any easier.

I also thought they should just be able to pull the dent out no problem but apparently aluminum doesn't have the memory and even though there is no crease I guess they can't avoid drilling.

And as you can see there is a very small hairline crack in paint. They say they need to paint hood and blend fenders to match factory, though the existing paint is factory perfect, I would almost think they should be able to get factory paint code for VIN and just spray the immediate area.

Body shop says $1,500 (CAD). Which insurance company will pay under comprehensive, but will go after our neighbor. I'd really hate the guy to be $1,500 out of pocket for a minor random f'up. And it seems like such a waste of time and money for something so small!

Does anyone think it would be worth looking at PDR for given paint crack and AL hood? Or even try to deal with DIY? Small town and we don't have PDR people here, I'd have to drive a few hours to get to a place that could take a proper look.

DSCF9309-2.jpg
neighbors homeowner or renters insurance?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Instead of deflector, how about you DYI fill in, sand & put a wrap on the hood with
some cool design? Or just black wrap?

Oups, did not notice the date.... guess you already fixed...

OP
OP
BCRanger

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software
Instead of deflector, how about you DYI fill in, sand & put a wrap on the hood with
some cool design? Or just black wrap?

Oups, did not notice the date.... guess you already fixed...
No I haven't, you're making the mistake of assuming I have my shit together, lol.
Sponsored