Ranger305's Ranger Overland Build & Journal

SLeBeau84

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
One of the reasons I got a Yakima Outpost rack was to hand a few Rotopax gas containers off of the left side side-bar. The two photos below reveal what happened when I test-fit the 4.5 Gal. Rotopax on the sidebar of my rack.

Roto.jpg

Roto00.jpg

Love how the Outpost rack sits well below the roofline. : ) Hate how its diminutive size prohibits a Rotopax mount. : (

Time for Plan-B. I purchased a Roof Rack from a local vendor. I mounted it in an unorthodox way - that is I didn't mount it on top of the crossbars of my roof rack, but rather ran the cross arms of the rack through the side of the black roof rack in order to keep is as low as possible. U-bolts hold the rack in place nicely.
As it turns out, I used all the hardware I intended to use to mount the gas can on the Yakima rack to mount in to the floor of the roof rack. The fit is perfect. I'll add pictures of the fabricated roof mount if anyone wished to see it.

Roto1.jpg

Roto2.jpg

Roto3.jpg

What Crossbars are you running?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Just mounted my RTT and thought Iā€™d be clever and ā€˜cureā€™ the seam material and let it dry before noon to avoid the daily 3PM SoFlo thunderstorms. Mother Nature had other plans. Lol.
E8333FEB-BD45-41C1-8B50-412F0DAD80E5.jpeg
D34FAAA7-97E2-43E1-AE3F-614E3C466A48.jpeg
01786CD2-5BC6-4231-9FAA-55611E65A73A.jpeg
6F36A342-1F0E-407C-931A-0CAC31DD296D.jpeg

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Silly question - what supports the overhang on your RTT? Is it the ladder?

CoreyHendo

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Grey Ranger Lariat 501A, FX4, Sport, Tow
Nice build. Which version of the Diode Dynamics Fog lights do you have? Sport or Pro? Any shots to show light output?

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
If I was going to achieve my goal of offroading my FX4 on the trails of Colorado, Utah and California this summer, several things needed upgrading. The first thing I addressed was having a 12V receptacle in the bed. I just followed the pathway carved by previous members of this board and ordered the 12V power plug and wiring harness directly from a Ford Dealer. Once installed, the power point wire plugs directly to an existing mount on the frame rail under the bed. It was a simple install. Rather than drilling into the steel of my brand new truck, I decided to mount it to the plastic bed cover. The wire tie visible in the picture of the wire is ther to prevent the wire from sliding away from the body panel. So far so good.
The finishing touch was provided by some simple LED strip lights from Amazon.

12V.jpg

12V Wire.jpg

Power Hole.jpg

bedlights 2.jpg

LED bedlights.jpg
What bed liner are you using?

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
I purchased a Roof Rack from a local vendor. I mounted it in an unorthodox way - that is I didn't mount it on top of the crossbars of my roof rack, but rather ran the cross arms of the rack through the side of the black roof rack in order to keep is as low as possible. U-bolts hold the rack in place nicely.

Roto3.jpg
Looking to do the same and mount a basket to the cross bars as you have. What are the specs on your cargo carrier or what are the max dimensions(length, width, depth) you could mount with the G3 cross bars?

Guess what I'm really looking for is the distance between the towers driver to passenger side and the height from the crossbar to the roof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to do the same and mount a basket to the cross bars as you have. What are the specs on your cargo carrier or what are the max dimensions(length, width, depth) you could mount with the G3 cross bars?

Guess what I'm really looking for is the distance between the towers driver to passenger side and the height from the crossbar to the roof.
Sorry for the delay in response; been on a family-visitation roadtrip to South Carolina. My G3 sits approx 8" off the roof (roof to top of top bar). It is approx 34" bar to bar across the truck from passenger to driver, and I mounted the G3 rack bars approx 30" apart front to back. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Well, summer's almost here and that means dusting off the off-road gear, and getting my Ranger in shape for a few good, cross-country adventures.

First, I bolted my home-made refrigerator drawer into its place besides the 12V outlet in the bed.

Then took the G3 rack off the wall for a few modifications before I remount it over the cab. I'm looking to add more front lighting. If I do add the lighting, I'll post an update here.

rack1.JPG

roofrack1.JPG

rack3.JPG

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
The intrusion beam issue having been dealt with, it was time to haul the wheels and tires to my favorite local tire shop (WTW in Miami Lakes) and mount these bad boys! A short trip to Home Depot to kill some time, then Chick-fil-a for some well earned lunch and it was back to WTW. Note the roof rack I installed. More about that later. I think the tires and bronze wheels look great. I love the fact that with the FUEL wheels, those wider BFGs don't stick out more than an inch from the fender wells. On those narrow Colorado shelf trails, I'll need all the passing clearance I can get!

Note that in the first picture after the array of truck and tire shots is a close-up of the amount of clearance between the front of the driver's tire and that plastic air-dam thingy. I bring that up because when I reversed at full lock, the bigger BFGs rubbed on the bottom of the air dam, making a rather horrendous sound. Needless to say, I trimmed them sufficiently to eliminate that cacophony. A few pics of the clearance between the tires and the new BDS beams are also included.

tires.jpg

WTW.jpg

wheels 1.jpg

wheels 2.jpg

wheels right.jpg

wheels side.jpg

air dam.jpg

bds clear.jpg

front clear.jpg
so it doesnt rub when going to those new bars even without a lift? now that is interesting have you been offroad to cycle the suspension to see?

OP
OP
Ranger305

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
so it doesnt rub when going to those new bars even without a lift? now that is interesting have you been offroad to cycle the suspension to see?
It's been a while so I can't say for sure whether it rubbed without the lift, bbut once the Ford Performance/Fox kit was installed there was only a slight rub at full lock.
Sponsored