First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I see @MY23RANGER uses engine monitoring software to validate his upgrade but I wonder if anyone else has cost effective (I e. cheap) methods of monitoring temps, pressure(s) and power gains?
Sponsored

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I would look into the odb link mx plus unit with the free software it is what i started with and worked great for watching the pids on your phone

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
actually I used torque pro software cost me 4.99 on the app store , you can have my obd link mx for free it is a android setup if you want to data log on your phone.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I've come across some videos that indicate that purely direct injection motors will ultimately develop carbon on the valves because there is no 'washing' effect from port injectors although some expensive models that have both - more expensive and complicated of course.

The intercooler I am waiting to install was advertised - as are the IC I have - to be able to be tapped for water/meth injection. The side benefit is a reduction of deposits but I would be concerned about programming and constantly having to keep an eye on a separate tank.

I suppose there are some advantages in keeping things clean but risks of CEL and who knows how expensive it would be to properly set up/program and maintain.

Power? Maybe? But for towing I'd think there is a benefit in hot environments.

I think a specifically engineered E85 conversion or adaptation kit would be more desirable. I've seen them sold in the US for Mustangs and some EU kits but I don't think I have a full understanding of what a properly engineered kit would be capable of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
From Garrett:
Upgrading to a more effective intercooler will increase horsepower by improving intake air density and reducing thermal stress on the engine through cooler intake air temperatures.
Cooler temperatures results in a decrease in combustion temperature, moving the engine further from the edge of detonation under boost. As a result, water and oil temps can drop and that pressure drop across the core reduces the strain on the turbo’s compressor while reaching target boost pressure.

This means the turbine does not need to recover as much power from the exhaust stream to power the compressor. Less power recovery needed reduces back pressure resulting in less propensity for detonation, less heat retained in the engine as well as better volumetric efficiency. With cooler intake air temperatures and less back pressure, the engine’s tolerance for detonation increases. This new higher tolerance utilize tuning to increase boost pressure, ignition timing, and perhaps a leaner air-fuel ratio to produce even more power. For a simple bolt-on upgrade, a performance intercooler has a cascade effect for making more power and efficiency while reducing stress on the engine
Combined with more octane - I'd advocate for utilizing ethanol rich fuel as much as the factory computer is designed to handle (can you find 94 octane 15%? Not really) but I never had problems with E30 (94 octane) so there's that. Just can't find it these days.

Image of intercoolers for scale:
Screenshot_20230910-153736~2.png

And this graphic:
Screenshot_20230910-153748.png

Read the sales pitch here: https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...r-everest-mazda-bt50-performance-intercooler/

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
In anticipation of finally getting the ESP intercooler installed I asked Torrie at Unleashed if he would tweak my tune (again). Unlike when I put on the Mishimoto charge pipes and opted for the @TORQUERULES shift strategy (which Torrie just told me disables adaptive learning) he said I'd have to pay for an update - if I had bought accessories through Unleashed he would include it.

The charge pipes changed the way the engine performed so I was pretty sure the tune needed tweaking but now I wonder - do I absolutely need to update the tune again with the freer flowing IC? Perusing Ecoboost forums suggests not really. I might get some gain but the consensus was no unless I fool with boost and Torrie said before he doesn't do that with his tuning. It's conceivable that the larger volume of the intercooler - like the charge pipes - may induce some lag although I wonder if the drive by wire throttle has some programming to minimize that. I suspect the Pedal Commander does some manipulation of the throttle signal (I haven't used that).

Livernois has videos that suggest their upgraded IC preserves HP on back to back dyno pulls and for the Ranger specifically keeps towing and stop n go performance even. Might be good for gas mileage. The higher the ethanol content in your gas probably demands better control over heat soak. I know Ford's stated max percent is 15% (88 octane) but I've run E30 (94 octane) with the charge pipes upgraded and a tune and no codes or negative driving issues. I can't imagine the difference in ethanol is any more harmful mechanically and suspect Ford didn't bother to certify the Ecoboost for E30 even though the computer clearly handles it - it's just hard to find. The Mustang guys are all about that though.

If/when I get the ESP unit on and @Loweredon33s turbo inlet pipe maybe then I'll spring for an update.

Only other thing I'd want is a larger inlet on the stock airbox itself. The AfE Magnum replacement horn still has that factory size inlet in spite of the bigger intake opening.

Notice how the presenter tap dances around having a tune before an intercooler upgrade.

Last edited:

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
In anticipation of finally getting the ESP intercooler installed I asked Torrie at Unleashed if he would tweak my tune (again). Unlike when I put on the Mishimoto charge pipes and opted for the @TORQUERULES shift strategy (which Torrie just told me disables adaptive learning) he said I'd have to pay for an update - if I had bought accessories through Unleashed he would include it.

The charge pipes changed the way the engine performed so I was pretty sure the tune needed tweaking but now I wonder - do I absolutely need to update the tune again with the freer flowing IC? Perusing Ecoboost forums suggests not really. I might get some gain but the consensus was no unless I fool with boost and Torrie said before he doesn't do that with his tuning. It's conceivable that the larger volume of the intercooler - like the charge pipes - may induce some lag although I wonder if the drive by wire throttle has some programming to minimize that. I suspect the Pedal Commander does some manipulation of the throttle signal (I haven't used that).

Livernois has videos that suggest their upgraded IC preserves HP on back to back dyno pulls and for the Ranger specifically keeps towing and stop n go performance even. Might be good for gas mileage. The higher the ethanol content in your gas probably demands better control over heat soak. I know Ford's stated max percent is 15% (88 octane) but I've run E30 (94 octane) with the charge pipes upgraded and a tune and no codes or negative driving issues. I can't imagine the difference in ethanol is any more harmful mechanically and suspect Ford didn't bother to certify the Ecoboost for E30 even though the computer clearly handles it - it's just hard to find. The Mustang guys are all about that though.

If/when I get the ESP unit on and @Loweredon33s turbo inlet pipe maybe then I'll spring for an update.

Only other thing I'd want is a larger inlet on the stock airbox itself. The AfE Magnum replacement horn still has that factory size inlet in spite of the bigger intake opening.

Notice how the presenter tap dances around having a tune before an intercooler upgrade.
I guess I need to make some more!
I can't speak for other tuners but mine doesn't need to be adjusted for those parts normally. I can switch between my stock stuff and all my different intakes etc without issue as long as I clear KAM and allow it to learn before killing it. There is enough room in the fuel trims to run a good bit of ethanol mix but it won't take much advantage of it's benefits though without a proper tune.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a tuner and I didn't adjust my tune after an upgraded intercooler, aside from inputting it's volume, which isn't completely needed.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
What was your price on these again?
I'm not sure really, I lost my ass on them last time I made a run. Probably close to $500 powdercoated and shipped depending on materials cost etc. I would like to make a larger batch this time if I can to help control costs better.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I'm not sure really, I lost my ass on them last time I made a run. Probably close to $500 powdercoated and shipped depending on materials cost etc. I would like to make a larger batch this time if I can to help control costs better.
Yeah I am sure it is not an easy thing to do. Hopefully, I can snag one 2nd hand in the future. But my wife would not be happy if I snuck that into a monthly expense :LOL:

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Wow, that's a bummer. It seems like such an overlooked part of the intake system and yet $500 is steep for that one part ☹. Here's a long but informative video on forced induction elements not directly related to Ecoboost but detailed:
Sponsored