Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm liking my 2021 Ranger blackout package I added what makes people think it's a Raptor. Kinda fun.

20220314_101017.jpg

20220414_073724.jpg

20220117_082514.jpg

20211003_164401.jpg

20220625_195458.jpg

20220627_111600.jpg

20220621_190213.jpg
If you have ForScan you can put the Raptor display on the radio screen to really sell the lie ,LOL.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's great beast of a Ranger...even though it doesn't have enough lights...many people will be proud owners...me? I've no envy...very happy with my baby...
This one might have enough lights, lol. This is a garage in the Philippines that builds some crazy rigs.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Hey.. I used the red thingy just yesterday to navigate over some rocks as I needed to go around the other car parked in middle of the field road and I had to go around the ditch. Needed to drop a replacement hydraulic pushing arm to the field as the previous one started to leak and the guy doing the baling needed one.

It is usefull.
I don't understand how crawling through a field, an not putting you truck in the ditch was made easier by a red line on the steering wheel?

Shouldn't you be looking at the obstacles, not the steering wheel? How does a center marker make it easier? I have never, ever seen any driver look at the steering wheel to help them navigate the road, or obstacles.

For the record, the purpose is to help have your wheels dead straight to expedite tire changes when you pit for tire changes in a race.

Reactions: Doc

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I don't understand how crawling through a field, an not putting you truck in the ditch was made easier by a red line on the steering wheel?

Shouldn't you be looking at the obstacles, not the steering wheel? How does a center marker make it easier? I have never, ever seen any driver look at the steering wheel to help them navigate the road, or obstacles.

For the record, the purpose is to help have your wheels dead straight to expedite tire changes when you pit for tire changes in a race.
When you land you want to keep the tires straight and not tilted. There's no feedback when you're jumping over the ditch...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
"Raptor-Line"

Like the ST-Line. Styling but no performance.
The original design for the st line of vehicles was a massive improvement on performance, even now the edge st and whatnot are massively more powerful than the top of the line non-st edge. Focus/fiesta we’re even give close ratio manual gearboxes. With some small bolt one and a tune my focus st was making 300hp to the wheels on pump gas.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

He’s jumping the ditch and there’s not any feedback in the air, so the redline helps you know where the wheels are.
Also at the dunes, when you’re bombing around corners in 2’ of powder sand, sometimes it’s hard to know exactly how far the weeks are from center. It’s not super useful to most, but you can add it temporarily with red tape if you want to perform such maneuvers.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
He’s jumping the ditch and there’s not any feedback in the air, so the redline helps you know where the wheels are.
Also at the dunes, when you’re bombing around corners in 2’ of powder sand, sometimes it’s hard to know exactly how far the weeks are from center. It’s not super useful to most, but you can add it temporarily with red tape if you want to perform such maneuvers.
This is not what he said in the original post. "to navigate over some rocks as I needed to go around the other car parked in middle of the field road and I had to go around the ditch."

IMO -

Jumping the ditch? Isn't the steering wheel centered at launch? Are you approaching a jump from an angle or with the steering wheel at 250 degrees off straight? Isn't that how vehicles flip? How big are these ditch jumps that you are in the air more than a split second?

I've been playing in snow and mud my whole life. They are very similar to sand play. Having the wheel dead straight in high torque, high speed play does not ensure your vehicle is moving the direction you want, nor straight. Direction of travel and slippage is all the feedback needed to find straight, and looking at the wheel, even briefly is counter-productive.

The only practicality of the center line, is at, or approaching a full stop. IMO, for street and off-road vehicles it's nothing more than a cosmetic fad.

YMMV

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not what he said in the original post. "to navigate over some rocks as I needed to go around the other car parked in middle of the field road and I had to go around the ditch."

IMO -

Jumping the ditch? Isn't the steering wheel centered at launch? Are you approaching a jump from an angle or with the steering wheel at 250 degrees off straight? Isn't that how vehicles flip? How big are these ditch jumps that you are in the aor more than a split second?

I've been playing in snow and mud my whole life. They are very similar to sand play. Having the wheel dead straight in high torque, high speed play does not ensure your vehicle is moving the direction you want, nor straight. Direction of travel and slippage is all the feedback needed to find straight, and looking at the wheel, even briefly is counter-productive.

The only practicality of the center line, is at, or approaching a full stop. IMO, for street and off-road vehicles it's nothing more than a cosmetic fad.

YMMV
I think he’s playing with you honestly. That said, my Ranger has a dash screen that tells you wheel alignment and a bunch of other useful stuff, so there’s that. I can see how the line would be useful though under high speed sand situations. I’m from Michigan, and we have our fair share of mud. We also have some of the largest freshwater dunes anywhere in the world. I recently went to the dunes for the first time, and it was nothing like the mud, snow, rocks, or anything else I’ve encountered .
Sponsored