Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
That's what I'm holding out for-
Even though mine is a 4x4

I know I'm the odd-ball here, but I wanna drop the ass end down instead....

Kinda wondering about using 2 inch aluminum "lowering blocks" that are the same width and length of the axle mounting plate...
Custom ordered/extended length U-bolts...
Maybe not so odd! The back ends are crazy high.

Problem is, the rear axle is under a very stiff, low arched spring. Any blocks will only lift the back up more.

A simple axle flip makes for about a 6" drop and you about run out of room between the axle and frame.

Flipping the axle over springs with more arch, and maybe swap in some longer shackles is likely the only easy answer. (FX4 rear springs and BDS shackles)

The old AMC Pacer springs are similar, have a lot more arch but are far softer. Maybe those, with air, Timbren or Sumo springs might be a workable path.

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
Maybe not so odd! The back ends are crazy high.

Problem is, the rear axle is under a very stiff, low arched spring. Any blocks will only lift the back up more.

A simple axle flip makes for about a 6" drop and you about run out of room between the axle and frame.

Flipping the axle over springs with more arch, and maybe swap in some longer shackles is likely the only easy answer. (FX4 rear springs and BDS shackles)

The old AMC Pacer springs are similar, have a lot more arch but are far softer. Maybe those, with air, Timbren or Sumo springs might be a workable path.

Ohhh... I had look under my truck a while back & was thinking it's like a toyota with the leaf springs going under the axle.
Would have to be some type of drop-shackles.
Will have to check the rear frame mount leaf spring bracket to see if a "flip" is possible to push the rear section of the leaf spring closer to the bed or would need custom "drop" brackets.

Reactions: Doc

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Ohhh... I had look under my truck a while back & was thinking it's like a toyota with the leaf springs going under the axle.
Would have to be some type of drop-shackles.
Will have to check the rear frame mount leaf spring bracket to see if a "flip" is possible to push the rear section of the leaf spring closer to the bed or would need custom "drop" brackets.
Springs sit close to and directly under the frame, drop brackets or shackles taint gonna happen.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
If you have a rear locker on that, you're 3/4 of the way to 4x4 performance. I wouldn't call it cheating to get some ground clearance then. If not you can always add one.
There you go and that's my excuse....I do have rear locker and will raise the front. Thanks.
The next part of the recipe is tires. I was always surprised at where I could go and get out of in my old 2WD stepside ranger with a rear locker and Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I would never buy those again because they were so noisy, but man the traction...

claw1.jpg

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I just did 4x6 “ drop....
Regards
You get a like from me for not having a ridiculous camber on the front wheels. Drops are not my thing but for all purposes it looks like you did it right and that will end up being an incredible street truck. You got a build thread somewhere?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
You get a like from me for not having a ridiculous camber on the front wheels. Drops are not my thing but for all purposes it looks like you did it right and that will end up being an incredible street truck. You got a build thread somewhere?
Thank You, Definitely a Street Truck..setting it up for ET Bracket Racing and I Hate that Camber Sh*t
Regards
No build thread, stock with Unleashed Tune
This Truck was the R&D Truck for Unleashed.

919E53FD-41EB-40E0-9753-DD93AC934CD6.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Regarding motorcycles.
Former Drag Bike Racer here (Suzuki GSXR 1000)
Too Old Now...
Regards

OP
OP
Willy Bee

Willy Bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Levelled out with spacers and 265/70's rides much better than stock. Mileage is avg at 18.4 in town tracked with FUELLY app over the last 708 miles. I use Shell or Exxon 93 octane. The ride feels stiffer compared to stock tires and height. Tire pressure is showing 43 lbs cold on FordPass app. I prefer a stiffer ride, so that is entirely subjective. It's a 2 wd. I wanted a little more clearance in case I felt the need to hop a couple curbs or take an off road detour etc.

fullsizeoutput_399.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a88.jpeg
I think that's perfect. Thanks for the info and photo. I have the same 17 inch rims and was wondering what size tire replacement. And yeah, I'm not above intentionally running over curbs either.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Seems like cheating to make it look a 4 wheel drive. Should I leave as is for less body roll ect. or make it look good?
1593048268293.png
Liked mine before, but loved it all the more afterwards!

IMG_20200611_163051620_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Willy Bee

Willy Bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Is that a 2wd and raised in the front only? I'm shopping and wondering...2 or 2.5 inch in the front only to be level and definitely NOT be lower in the back

OP
OP
Willy Bee

Willy Bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Sure. Why not? The truck looks way better with a 2.5” level.

75A637E4-182E-4818-A722-46F0DBDC3173.jpeg
That looks level to me, but I may go with the 2 inch lift to be sure the back doesn't look higher. Undecided for now. Thank you for that pic. It helps a lot.
Do you plan to use it as a truck and haul stuff? Leveled trucks look wimpy when they carry enough of a load to make the rear sag. As for me I like the raked look,. The only reason I would level even a 4X4 is if it is primarily to be used as a serious off roader to get the ground clearance. To each is own, as has been said your truck your money.
After rereading all the post (that I appreciate) I agree with you on the raked look for a 2wd street truck so I'll go with a 2 inch front lift and give it a little rake and it won't sag back as bad under a load. Thanks.
Sponsored